Texas Hunting Forum

frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck

Posted By: westtex75

frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 01:23 PM

it has been said that you always want what you can't have. on our lease, a non typical rack is rare as hen teeth. in 20 yrs. of hunting there, I have seen one deer with a drop tine and found one shed with a drop.....westex jr has had a quest for a drop tine buck since he was 12 and finally this past wkend, he made it happen.......it went down like this......at one of our stand locations a basket racked 8 pt. started showing up last yr and became a regular. he seemed to know we weren't hunting him and just payed us no attn....watched us get in the blind...watched us get out of the blind...just kinda stood around not concerned at all... he made a heck of a living decoy cause he was always there and any deer passing thru would see him and come waltzing in to check things out...my daughter and I set this blind last yr and she took a liking to him and named him frank (and made me promise not to shoot him)......fast forward to this yr...we pull up to the stand and there is an eight point standing there looking at us..we knew the way he was acting it was our buddy from last yr. and he had grown a bit....I took this pic thru the windshield at about 25 yds.

the blind is 20 yds. to the right in this photo. our 8 pt. moved off to the left and westex jr. grabbed his bow and headed to the blind. As the afternoon went on frank our decoy deer was feeling a little rutty I guess, anyway he ran at some does and made some rubs and scraps all within bow range of the blind and when another young eight point came in to investigate, a fight broke out. it was during this sparring match that things got interesting and deer starting coming in from all directions......one of which was the drop tine westex jr. had been looking for all these yrs........ as he postured up to our eight point decoy deer at 30 yds jr. sent an arrow thru the goody box and at the end of a short blood trail the quest was over!

oh yea....and frank our decoy deer still on the job....next morning we had to move him outta the road to get thru.

Posted By: wgonfan

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 01:33 PM

nice. congrats.

Posted By: Big Pa

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 01:33 PM

That is also a dream of mine. Glad yours came true. Congrats on a great looking buck....

Posted By: BMD

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 01:38 PM

Congrats

Posted By: Seadog

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 01:42 PM

Congrats!!! Nice "decoy" you have there!!!

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 01:45 PM

thanks guys and I forgot to add.... we feed indian corn... keeps em at the feeder longer and makes em lose all fear of man.

Posted By: Kid Kraigrrr

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 01:52 PM

Great story...

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 02:11 PM

Congrats. Sounds like Frank needs another pass this year.

Posted By: JBH1979

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 02:12 PM

Great story and good looking deer! Congrats!

Posted By: Seadog

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 02:20 PM

Your daughter named him Frank!!! He's now almost a pet - no hunting him now!!! LOL

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 02:27 PM

first thing she asked was "you didn't shoot frank did you?"...... he is a pet and the thing is he knows it!

Posted By: ctownboy

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 02:28 PM

WAY TO GO!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 02:40 PM

Nice!

Posted By: BMowatt

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 02:40 PM

good story

Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 03:04 PM

Great Story Ken! Tell westtex Jr. Congrats! It is so cool when a hunt comes together and has a happy ending especially when one of the kiddos is involved. That is an absolute awesome buck and both you and Jr. will have the memory of that hunt forever.

You need to give Frank a high five…ugh…hoof too.

Congrats!

JR

cheers

Posted By: bama1416

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 03:12 PM

Congrats to Jr. That's a fine buck and a great story.

Posted By: Alec Castonguay

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 03:13 PM

Wow that is awsome!!! Congrats!! Are you going to hold off on frank in 2 years haha?

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 03:23 PM

thanks fellas....one more work day and I'm headed back out...1/2 day deer hunt.. 1/2 day quail hunt...life don't get any better than this ....cept for a few wks in april.

AC in 2 yrs., if frank keeps growing I'm thinking he might start to run off bucks instead of attracting them....at that point...idk might be the end for ole frank. don't know how I'll break it to my daughter.

Posted By: driedmeat

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 05:50 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing. After reading this, I'll bet there are outfitters all over the state trying to figure out how to train thier own decoys now!!

Posted By: 7mag

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 07:19 PM

Trying to decide, did I enjoy the story or the harvest more?? Both excellent and congrats flehan

Posted By: Dan_the_Bowhunter

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/02/10 09:46 PM

nice

Posted By: rtp

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/03/10 12:32 AM

flehan

Posted By: Electric Tex

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/03/10 01:31 AM

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Posted By: jim1961

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/03/10 02:00 AM

congrats

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/03/10 12:45 PM

good story and a meaningful hunt. Congrats on a nice deer

ac

Posted By: BADMOON

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/04/10 03:08 AM

Good story dont know bout that Indian corn though

Posted By: macman

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/04/10 04:18 AM

that's what it's all about !!!! congrats to the whole family.

Posted By: HoffDawg

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/06/10 11:15 AM

Nice buck and great story. Always good to have a live decoy..LOL.. My dream is to just take a buck worth taking.

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/06/10 02:24 PM

That's AWESOME man!!!

Posted By: Bit Man

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/09/10 02:32 AM

Great story westtex! Congrats to your son!!! Hope you dont break your daughters heart when Frank is huge in a few years! LOL What the hecks up with the indian corn, is that a joke or were you serious?? Where in Westtx are you? I am in Midland.
Thanks for sharing
DannyG

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/09/10 04:00 AM

had some good times in that part of the state when I was younger bit man.....I'm back in the eastern half now but my heart resides out west. Indian corn is a running joke on the forum....supposedly keeps em at the feeder longer....idk
and by the way ole frank was on duty during the gun opener.

Posted By: Bit Man

Re: frank the decoy deer and the drop tine buck - 11/09/10 05:32 AM

hahhaha, well wish you were still out here! Its a good think your daughter is sweet on ole frank of you might have gotten an itchy trigger finger! Best of luck to you and your family this hunting season(already started out good) and have a wonderful holiday season.
DannyG

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum