Texas Hunting Forum

Dumb Question

Posted By: East Texas Hunter

Dumb Question - 08/01/10 09:59 PM

I am trying to get better with my bow but my fingers get torn up what i need to know is how do you use the string release thing? thanks for your answers and I know this will mqake me look dumb but I dont care

Posted By: Driller

Re: Dumb Question - 08/01/10 10:03 PM

It is very simple. It fastens around your wrist and you squeeze the trigger to open the jaws and clamp it around your string loop(if you don't have a string loop then you need to get one). You can clamp it directly to your string bt it will damage it in time. Pull the bow back and once you are settled on your target then squeeze the trigger nice and smooth to release your string. I promise it is very easy. If you have any other ?s feel free to PM me.

Re: Dumb Question - 08/01/10 10:05 PM

Ok thank you very much Driller I am going to look at that right now

Posted By: youngsouthtexashunter

Re: Dumb Question - 08/02/10 01:28 AM

A release is a must have for me!!! once i started using one i saw a dramatic diffrence in my groups

Posted By: Russ79

Re: Dumb Question - 08/02/10 02:15 AM

When I first started bowhunting I shot with fingers but I soon got to a point when I wasn't getting my groups any tighter I switched to a release. There are different kinds of releases so get a good quality release. Everyone has their favorite. I have been using a Scott Caliper for years. Many releases can be adjusted on how much pressure it takes for the release to open. Don't set it too light and watch where you put your trigger finger when drawing your bow. I keep my trigger finger behind my release trigger as I draw, pushing against the trigger to keep me from touching it off prematurely

Posted By: estex

Re: Dumb Question - 08/02/10 02:23 AM

release is just like shooting a gun...

Re: Dumb Question - 08/02/10 03:17 PM

ok thank you everyone

Posted By: Kobeer

Re: Dumb Question - 08/02/10 03:35 PM

also when you buy one make sure you buy a good one. you wont regret spending the money. tru fire,truball and even the cobras that they sale at academy are good

Posted By: kilt it

Re: Dumb Question - 08/03/10 12:20 AM

make sure you have a quiet release too. it's not that big of a difference but a deer will jump.

Posted By: Gus McRae

Re: Dumb Question - 08/03/10 02:08 AM

I recommend the double-caliper release vs. the single-caliper. That way it releases with equal pressure. Also, I like the buckle strap vs. a velcro because it's easier to know exactly how it fits on your wrist each time.

Posted By: Driller

Re: Dumb Question - 08/03/10 02:25 AM

I agree about the buckles vs the velcro. You can buckle it in the same hole everytime.

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Dumb Question - 08/03/10 02:47 AM

A word from experience, don't buy a cheap one, a release is as big a part of archery as any other part of your bow.

I'm not going to recommend a brand because there are many good ones; just the cheap ones are cheap for a reason!

Posted By: Kobeer

Re: Dumb Question - 08/03/10 04:51 PM

i bought a cobra from academy that was 39.99 and it did turn out to be a good release for me, i also bought the trufire huricanne and found that the strap they use to adjust length would slip real bad. your best bet is go to academy and buy one try it out and if it doesnt suit your needs then return it and try another type or brand, cause as long as you have the receipt they will take it back or at least exchange it

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Dumb Question - 08/03/10 04:59 PM

bracklynn makes one that you can adjust to your preference.

Posted By: Adraper

Re: Dumb Question - 08/03/10 05:19 PM

If your going from fingers and have never shot a release, the wrist strap ones are going to feel odd. They are by far the more popular. I prefer a release I can hold.

Posted By: RutledgeRealtyGroup

Re: Dumb Question - 08/03/10 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Gus McRae
I recommend the double-caliper release vs. the single-caliper. That way it releases with equal pressure. Also, I like the buckle strap vs. a velcro because it's easier to know exactly how it fits on your wrist each time.

plus if you ever need to adjust it in the field you dont have the velcro sound when your rip it off

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum