Texas Hunting Forum

Silicone impregnated gun socks

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Silicone impregnated gun socks - 01/19/10 04:39 PM

Anyone ever use them long term to cover their rifles while they're in a gun safe to prevent nicks, scratches etc... ?

Since a 30 gun safe is only a 15 gun safe if the guns are scoped, I was wondering if the gun socks woukd cause any problems if left on for weeks/months at a time.

Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Silicone impregnated gun socks - 01/19/10 05:40 PM

I have used them for a good while. They really seem to help prevent scratches in a crowded safe. I can not speak for the rust prevention though I have never had a problem there either. I use silica gel kitty litter in an open coffee can for moisture absorption. It's cheap and effective.

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Silicone impregnated gun socks - 01/19/10 05:45 PM

Thank-you, that's a great idea on the kitty litter too.

Re: Silicone impregnated gun socks - 01/19/10 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
Thank-you, that's a great idea on the kitty litter too.

My pleasure, the kitty litter is about $10 for a big bag. If you are really cheap (like me) you can even dry it in a 250 degree oven for 2 hours and reuse it. Works well. I dry mine every 6 months or so.

Posted By: KC

Re: Silicone impregnated gun socks - 01/20/10 12:53 AM

I keep my rare/expensive guns in silicone socks. Some of them have been in there for several years and are still nice and shiny.

Great idea on the kitty litter, I'll go get some this evening!

Re: Silicone impregnated gun socks - 01/20/10 02:16 AM

The silica gel kitty litter is great for ammo can storage too. I put about two table spoons in the bottom of a fifty ammo can. Works great for long term storage.

Posted By: ccbaseball

Re: Silicone impregnated gun socks - 01/20/10 08:20 PM

I leave mine on my 3 guns all year long and it prevents rust and does not mess with the gun in anyway

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum