Texas Hunting Forum

Choke constrictions for slugs

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Choke constrictions for slugs - 12/25/09 06:18 PM

Hey guys/gals,
I have hunted with ALOT of rifles, but never many slugs...what is the maximum constriction that you can use for shooting slugs. Info on the gun is 20ga 870 Express magnum shooting a smooth bore and the slugs are the "rifled" remington version 2 3/4 inch. no shot will be longer than 40 yards or so.

Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: Choke constrictions for slugs - 12/25/09 11:05 PM

i have some 1 oz (3 in) remington brands slugs for my 12ga 870 express and the box of shells says they can be shot with any size choke up to full. i have never shot any slugs through a full choke and, for safety reasons, will probably drop down to something like improved cylinder or lower..

Re: Choke constrictions for slugs - 12/26/09 02:31 AM

Nick....Thanks, that is what I have always heard too, but with a MOD choke, it is ALL OVER he paper..even for a slug it is bad...I was *thinking* about trying a full to tighten it up, but I think you solved my delema for me...

Posted By: WyattT

Re: Choke constrictions for slugs - 12/26/09 03:32 PM

leave it in cyl or ic. thats what theyre made to shoot from, buckshot is another story and may be helped by constriction

Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: Choke constrictions for slugs - 12/27/09 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: 1FowlHntR
Nick....Thanks, that is what I have always heard too, but with a MOD choke, it is ALL OVER he paper..even for a slug it is bad...I was *thinking* about trying a full to tighten it up, but I think you solved my delema for me...

if you try the full, please report back your results. i'd like to know how much accuracy would improve. i will do the same..

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Choke constrictions for slugs - 12/27/09 01:20 AM

i tried hunting with a slug once...horrible idea....stick with a rifle

Re: Choke constrictions for slugs - 12/27/09 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
i tried hunting with a slug once...horrible idea....stick with a rifle
unfortunately don't have much choice at this particular place on Ft Hood...how bout letting me come hunt your lease this weekend?? lol

Re: Choke constrictions for slugs - 12/27/09 01:43 AM

Nick,
it will probably be later than sooner...not sure I'm that brave...

Posted By: Texas Proud

Re: Choke constrictions for slugs - 12/27/09 04:29 AM

I've shot slugs thru 12ga's before. The full, mod or I/C never made a difference. The type of slug you use is what matters. I'd recommend a rifled slug choke and use sabots instead.

A good side mount Aim Point will help over the bead also. If you can get a rifled barrel I'd that over anything else and shoot sabots. A 20ga is a very good gun for killin' deer. It is far more accurate than the 12ga's I've used.

Posted By: VaWaterfowler

Re: Choke constrictions for slugs - 01/21/10 01:56 AM

I have a remington 870 express 12 ga. which is used soley as a slug gun and I have always used a modified choke with hornady slugs, 3" shells and I do believe they are 1 oz. I have had pretty good accuracy with those shooting about 2 MOA at 100 yards, I had tried some remington sabot slugs before with horrible results.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum