Texas Hunting Forum

Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth

Posted By: Bill Goodwin

Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/20/09 02:50 PM

Hi:

I'm new to the forum.

I have a Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR pistol and just wondered what it was worth?

It was passed on to me by my favorite uncle.

There is a story with it.

He used to practice quick drawing the pistol at a range in San Antonio. One day he drew, but pulled the trigger too soon. Shot himself in the knee. I was about 7 at the time and the local TV did a piece on it calling him "Quick Draw McGraw".

Oddly enough I saw it on the News and asked my mom if that was my uncle. Yep !!

He was teased about it for 0ver 50 years. He carried the lead in his knee all that time. Couldn't get it out.

He was a great guy !!

Sorry to be so long winded !!

Polecat

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/20/09 07:40 PM

I have the same pistol, except I don't know where you got the Buntline from, that is @ >95% w/the original box. I, too, would like to know the value.

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/20/09 08:19 PM

It says Buntline on the pistol model description.

Not sure !!

Thanks !!

POlecat

Posted By: pdr55

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/21/09 01:44 AM

Mine says "PEACEMAKER BUNTLINE". Has the 7 inch barrel.

I gave $400 for it about six months ago.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/21/09 04:59 AM

Mine must be different. It is just a Scout. What's the difference?

Posted By: janie

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/21/09 02:01 PM

Please post up a pic, so we can better help you determine a value.

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/21/09 03:55 PM

Will do !!!

Thanks !!

Polecat

Posted By: hawk

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/21/09 06:19 PM

Hello all!

I have the same gun, a Colt "Buntline Scout" with a 9.5" barrel.

The "scout" models differ from the "peacemaker" models in that the scouts have an alloy frame, the peacemakers are case hardened.

The scouts were made from the late 50's to the early 70's. The peacemakers picked up where the scouts left off and were made till around 1987 or so.

The alloy frames tend to "scratch" the finish off easily.

I've seen the buntline scouts in new condition with box go for 900. I paid 600 for mine and it is as new with no turn marks on the cylinder. I bought it to shoot, but I am having second thoughts. Colts keep going up in value because they are not making them any more.

They are great "plinkers". Mine is a .22 mag. Many came with both the lr and mag. cylinders.

Hope this helps some. Check on Gunbroker and you will see what they are selling for.

Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/21/09 09:06 PM

Most of you probably know this story . Ned Buntline was a New York Times columnist when Wyett Earp was the US Marshall in Tombstone, AZ. He wrote fictional stories about the exploits of Earp and traveled to AZ to interview him. Buntline commissioned Colt to build two special Peacemakers with Buntline Special engraved on the barrel. He gave one to Earp the other he kept. There is no evidence that Earp actually carried the Buntline Special.
I hade one of the New Model Colt Buntline Specials(.22 cal) for about 20 or so years and recently sold it to a Colt collector for $300.

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/21/09 09:52 PM

Red Cloud, I wish I could find one for $300....heck of a deal!

Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/21/09 10:32 PM

It was a smokin deal but I needed the money for another rifle. So he got a deal and I got what I wanted. Marlin XL7 .25-06.

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/21/09 11:51 PM

Thanks or the information.

I'm afraid the one I have has had a few hundred rounds shot through it and isn't in collector shape.

But thanks a bunch for the info.

Helps a lot !!

Polecat

Re: Colt Single Action Buntline Scout 22 LR -What Is It worth - 12/22/09 12:24 AM

I had a friend of mine looking for a "beater" at a gun show the other day. Even the "beater's" were going for $500!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum