Texas Hunting Forum

Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet?

Posted By: 10 Gauge

Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/02/24 04:00 AM

I popped in to Bass Pro to look at some reloading stuff and saw that brand new American Gen II in .308 on the shelf, had to have a look at it. Soon as I pulled back the bolt, it had to go home with me.

No more zipper bolt! Nice 3 position tang safety, fluted, cerakote, brake. Nice! Still a plastic stock- no it is not very stiff. Other than that all I can tell you is I took it home.

Single stack magazine! The magazine is much nicer and runs flawlessly.

They did a great job with this gun. I guess I gotta go see how she shoots!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/02/24 07:43 PM

7mm-08 would be a great jeep gun
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/02/24 09:25 PM

It looks much better than the original. Model 77 is still my favorite hunting model.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/02/24 09:31 PM

I'll probably be picking a 300BLK up depending on chassis options. I've done some searching, but haven't found a definitive answer if they Gen2 are compatible with Gen1 chassis.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/02/24 09:32 PM

Saw one today at Cabelas that had been online ordered in .308, nice rig and thought he said just $699...
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/02/24 10:53 PM

Handled one. It's definitely better feeling than the first but I'm not a buyer at the price. I'd rather spend more to get more
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/02/24 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Handled one. It's definitely better feeling than the first but I'm not a buyer at the price. I'd rather spend more to get more

I’ve seen the 308 pop up on sale emails from grab a gun for $499.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

You are gonna have to spend a lot more, that is all I am gonna say. It’s not a Tikka but to get these features in a Tikka you gonna pay $$$
Posted By: AP2714

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 12:56 AM

Anyone knowing if the triggers are the same/interchangeable between gen 1 and 2?

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by AP2714
Anyone knowing if the triggers are the same/interchangeable between gen 1 and 2?

I will let you know. I am building on a first gen, soon I will be able to tell you if the stocks fit the same too. Ordered a first gen .308 on gunbroker
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 01:10 AM

There may be a 7 PRC in my safe once they release that chambering.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Adchunts
There may be a 7 PRC in my safe once they release that chambering.

Same here. If there's a lightweight chassis for it available, could be an outstanding hunting rig punching way above its price point.

Ruger American .308 first shots - 02/03/24 01:20 AM

My top of the line rifle rest, a bag in a bag. At least the local range has solid concrete benches.

[Linked Image]

Quick bore sight at 50, eyeballed it. Fired one shot, made one adjustment, fired another shot. I might hunt with that. This is with that new cheep cheep Athlon Neos 3-9x40, seems like she tracks. Can’t beat that for $120. The other three, 3-shot groups are with different .22’s. Bottom one was my new American .22 mag.

[Linked Image]

Took it to 100, first three with the Federal blue box 180 grains. Little bit under 1 and 3/4’s inch center to center.

[Linked Image]

I made an adjusment to the scope and fired three more. Hornady Superformance 165 grains SST. Exact same size.

[Linked Image]

Then I fired three shots with some Federal Gold Medal Match, 168 grains. 0.68” center to center. Ok 0.98” if you want to measure edge to edge. Either way, that’s sub-MOA with factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

She might do better with better glass and better ammo but I am pretty happy with that. I didn’t even check the stock screws or the scope base, everything was rushed today. I will post an update when i get some better glass and maybe a solid rest.

The trigger- it is about a 7 out of 10. It could definitely be better. But not terrible for a savage style trigger. I think even a real trigger-snob would give it at least a 6.

Overall I am tickled to death, and I think it is a great gun. Made in USA and it’s a handsome rifle. Mag functions/feeds flawlessly, very little recoil with that brake. A bit loud though. But I love it 😊

Attached picture 6940A4DA-F9AB-4D61-BE59-7E91D33763D8.jpeg
Attached picture 839C3807-3E0E-4CA3-917D-D66A645FB99C.jpeg
Attached picture 489F68F7-84C4-4D1F-A5BC-79D505F040E5.jpeg
Attached picture DEB703DF-48DE-48A7-A1DA-2E0541665979.jpeg
Attached picture FDD58D9E-FE05-4A64-8A78-A5E3045C73F3.jpeg
Attached picture 6FCAE4CA-A5FE-4C47-B00F-AAB5D9926935.jpeg
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 01:22 AM

I’m waiting for one in 22CM

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 01:56 AM

very nice

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

You have a Jeep?

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Saw one today at Cabelas that had been online ordered in .308, nice rig and thought he said just $699...

Mine was $599 from Bass Pro. They just put it out that same day.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

Mine was $599 from Bass Pro. They just put it out that same day.

Yeah, he may have actually said $600. Nice gun.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 03:25 AM

Welp now I gotta put that Athlon scope back on my muzzle loader. Gonna take the stock and the picatinny off and adjust the trigger. Then i will go through my normal routine with a new gun. I wipe the mating surfaces and clean the threads and screws with denatured alcohol, and reattach everything with a dab of loctite blue 242 and torque it properly to spec. Then i am probably gonna grab the first Leupold CDS 3x9 i lay my hands on, that has a duplex reticle, and probably a better rest so I can give her the test she deserves.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 03:41 AM

I would not get a Leupold CDS in their lower tier scopes. You should post a new thread on the optics forum. You’ll get some good recommendations. I’d personally recommend a SWFA 3-9 HD but they are out of stock.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
I would not get a Leupold CDS in their lower tier scopes. You should post a new thread on the optics forum. You’ll get some good recommendations. I’d personally recommend a SWFA 3-9 HD but they are out of stock.

Don’t worry, I will probably never try to dial with it. Just zero about 2-3” high at 100 and use it to about 200 yards. The only reason i would fork over the extra hundo over the regular VX-Freedom is because i don’t like the scope caps on the freedom line. I miss the svelte looking scope caps on the old school leupy’s.

The next step up in a 3x9 leupy, as far as I know will be firedot illuminated etc I don’t want any of that bull carp. I just want a decent, light weight, usable 3x9 with a duplex or a crosshair that’s made in USA.

Might go with a 3x9 EFR instead.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 04:06 AM

Thanks Scott. I was checking out the SWFA line and a look a here look a here. 9.5 ounces! Is this for real?

https://swfa.com/swfa-2-5-10x32-ss-ultralight-plex-reticle-1-tube-25-moa-clicks/

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 01:07 PM

It is but eye relief is a little tight on that one.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

You have a Jeep?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 02:55 PM

The ranch version in 6.5 Creedmoor might get some attention from those wanting that caliber short to use with a suppresser
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/03/24 03:19 PM

Thanks Scott. I was checking out the SWFA line and a look a here look a here. 9.5 ounces! Is this for real?

https://swfa.com/swfa-2-5-10x32-ss-ultralight-plex-reticle-1-tube-25-moa-clicks/

It’s a decent scope. Had it on a .22lr and it was a great addition to the Norinco copy of the BA-22

Stock details, mag well has pillars - 02/03/24 08:58 PM

So how can you have a plastic stock and plastic mag well and yet the factory torque specs are 65 inch pounds? Because the mag well has pillars. I don’t know if it is steel or aluminum but they are solid.

Also the stock fore end is definitely better engineered and stronger.

AICS mag well, each side

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Bottom and top of the v blocks

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Fore end

[Linked Image]

It is pretty darn solid for a plastic stock.

Attached picture 211B839D-60A6-4CCA-98B7-250E67A1A8E6.jpeg
Attached picture 2E0F0910-97D9-4438-AE1F-AE2EA61B0398.jpeg
Attached picture FA1CC364-690B-4127-9A46-434EAA092E9A.jpeg
Attached picture 7C392731-24DE-4206-8B25-BA867DC91593.jpeg
Attached picture 20F38FF7-9EAF-4F67-B284-902449412EB2.jpeg

Re: Stock details, mag well has pillars - 02/03/24 09:04 PM

But also, I hate the way you have to disassemble the magazine catch to access the rear action screw. Me and roll pins, punches and a tiny spring don’t get along.

The new video from Ruger shows a guy using a ball headed allen key to do it without disassembling the mag catch. Didn’f work for me, and the Gen II still cones with the jig for reassembly.

If you lose the tiny pin in the jig, you can find a tiny 1/8x1/2 pin at Ace. Also replacement roll pins if you lose them. I picked up some spares.

Re: Stock details, mag well has pillars - 02/03/24 10:23 PM

Correct size pin to hold the mag catch together in the assembly jig is actually 1/8x3/8. I already lost it and had to go get another 😅. The trigger, I do not know how to adjust the length or if I even could do it. But the weight, I took the weight adjustment screw completely out and I could not set it off by slamming or banging from any direction. Including slamming them muzzle end into my wallet for cushion. So it’s lighter but it’s still about a 7 out of ten tops. Weight, no idea but i can not lift the barreled action by the trigger so it is less than 4 pounds. I will call it “about 3” until i get a trigger gauge.

I just removed the adjustment screw completely, and re-installed it two full turns with a tiny dab of loctite blue 242. So it does not add tension to the spring at all, but it won’f fall out on it’s own.

The only thing I don’t like about this gun is that magazine latch over the rear action screw. It’s not a deal breaker but it is a real PITA.
Posted By: jlsbassman

Re: Stock details, mag well has pillars - 02/03/24 10:35 PM

I could be interested in one of the 8 twist 223. Looks interesting. I see the also have 6ARC and 6CM coming out soon. They look to have the same foot print as the Gen 1 so the Magpul Hunter stock will probably work also.

Re: Stock details, mag well has pillars - 02/03/24 11:38 PM

What I REALLY want is a Gen II Ranch in .358 Winchester. Building a 1st gen in .358 Winchester now. This Gen II will stay a .308.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Stock details, mag well has pillars - 02/17/24 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by jlsbassman
I could be interested in one of the 8 twist 223. Looks interesting. I see the also have 6ARC and 6CM coming out soon. They look to have the same foot print as the Gen 1 so the Magpul Hunter stock will probably work also.

I picked up the 5.56/223 a couple of weeks ago. Slapped a Vortex Venom, sandman suppresso and put about 20-rounds downrange. Shoots well and liking it....
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Stock details, mag well has pillars - 02/18/24 10:52 PM

Looking for a Gen II in 243. Handled one in 308 the other day and big difference in the actions. Damn that means I'm going to have 6 243's.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Stock details, mag well has pillars - 02/19/24 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by jlsbassman

I'd much rather have a 1-10 or better a 1-12, wish there was an option. I don't shoot anything heavier than 55 grain.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/19/24 03:42 PM

Might have to pick one up in 7 PRC
Posted By: breadman

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/20/24 11:21 AM

dangit now i gotta have one , wife`s not gonna be happy ! wife thanks fellas
Posted By: TCB

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/20/24 01:19 PM

Scheels had several out when I popped in there this weekend. I was already a fan but this Gen II is pretty sweet.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/20/24 04:40 PM

Well i had to cancel my money order and start over with the gun I won on gunbroker. So it is gonna be a minute before I can actually confirm you can fit them to the same stock. I might just go ahead and buy a B&C sporter to see if she fits. I will eventually put the first gen in one anyway, when i finally get it.

Just so you know, don’t ever use a western union money order if you don’t have to. I let 15 days pass without the seller recieving payment, went to cancel it and start over with a USPS money order and the pathway to cancel a money order is pretty well buried within the western union website. Then when i got it cancelled I got a pop up that basically says please allow 30 days for processing, we are taking $15 out of it, and we are not gonna put a stop payment until we reimburse you.

They can take your money right this second but if you want to cancel it, it has to be painful. At least it is an option.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/21/24 01:28 PM

Did anyone find out if a stock for Gen 1 can fit a gen II?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/21/24 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Korean Redneck

The Standard barrel on the Gen 1 was very, very thin. Even the Predator model looks like it is thinner than the barrel on the G2. The action does look the same. So, a G2 stock will likely fit a G1, but with gaps. I doubt it goes the other way (although I don't know why anybody would be doing that).
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/21/24 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

The Standard barrel on the Gen 1 was very, very thin. Even the Predator model looks like it is thinner than the barrel on the G2. The action does look the same. So, a G2 stock will likely fit a G1, but with gaps. I doubt it goes the other way (although I don't know why anybody would be doing that).

Maybe he has an aftermarket stock for G1 and wants to put it on a G2?

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/21/24 05:39 PM

The bell and carlson website says bell and carlson sporter fits American and American predator rifles. I will measure the barrel on my gen ii when i come in from the road this weekend.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/21/24 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

He might, and that's why I spoke about the barrel channel. It was 50/50 he just ordered them backwards in his statement or he has a G1 custom. If his G1 has a large enough barrel channel it might fit just fine.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/21/24 06:55 PM

I bought the 1st gen gun on gunbroker. It won’t be my first but i am not currently in possession of one. I bought the Gen II locally, I could not put it down. I am still waiting on the 1st gen rifle. Waiting to get reimbursed for the original money order that was lost in the mail to send another.

Between now and then i might order up a Bell and Carlson for the 1st gen rifle, and check how it fits the gen II. But i got a few birthdays to pay for and a house to buy, and other things.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/21/24 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

He might, and that's why I spoke about the barrel channel. It was 50/50 he just ordered them backwards in his statement or he has a G1 custom. If his G1 has a large enough barrel channel it might fit just fine.

I do have a gen 1 with an aftermarket stock, a chassis really, that I would like to use here. I appreciate the info. The barrel channel will not be an issue with this chassis.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/23/24 02:57 AM

Impulse control…

Here is the line up for the next range sesh, plus the 168 grain hybrid hunter. I have heard that a 10 twist .308 like 175 better than 168. I don’t know how much difference 7 grains makes in length or in 2” more twist but we will figure out if it matters in this one, limited by my own ability.

[Linked Image]

After this, I will probably just sight in about a half mil high with 180 grain Federal blue box, because it is cheap and locally available, and shoots ok. And just not buy anything else until I am set up to roll my own.

Attached picture 24EBA0BB-7769-442D-B7E3-294EF1C53D0F.jpeg

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/23/24 04:17 PM

Fellow on rugerforum.net told me the gen 1 fits the gen 2. Still waiting to see if it works the other way around

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/23/24 04:27 PM

Fellow on rugerforum.net told me the gen 1 fits the gen 2. Still waiting to see if it works the other way around

That implies that the V-blocks are the same. I bet KRedneck's chassis will fit, no problem.

Re: Anybody laid hands on a new Ruger American Gen II yet? - 02/23/24 06:51 PM

That implies that the V-blocks are the same. I bet KRedneck's chassis will fit, no problem.

Ought to. Them chassis usually accommodate thicker contour.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum