Texas Hunting Forum

Remington 700

Posted By: grout-scout

Remington 700 - 01/14/24 02:24 AM

Hey guys, I have a .22-.250 that I hadn’t shot in about 13 years. It’s spent all that time in a gun sock, indoors, climatized closet. I went to shoot it today and I had to look at the safety 3 times, to make sure it was actually on fire. I even pulled a cartridge out of the chamber and re-loaded the gun, thought maybe something was stuck. I finally pulled the trigger hard enough, that the gun did fire. It felt like the trigger was set at 15lbs and I only fired it once.

So my question, about what was the typical poundage of the triggers originally? Have I just become conditioned to my newer rifles, much better triggers or is it possible that the firing pin was just stuck?
Posted By: TAB

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 02:44 AM

What trigger is in it? X mark, X mark pro? Old style wide black shoe?

Usually remington straight from the box was about 3-4 pounds.

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 02:54 AM

B6352 are the first couple digits/letter on the serial number. Has a 83 stamped on the barrel, not sure if that was the year manufactured or not. I don’t know a whole lot about it, my grandpa gave it to me when I started hunting and that would have been around 1985-1988, (it wasn’t new.)

I definitely don’t remember it being that hard to pull, but like I said, it’s been quite awhile. I’m gonna try to shoot it again tomorrow, hopefully it was just kinda stuck.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kry226

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 03:26 AM

Kinda sounds like it was gunked up from non-use. Lube had solidified, maybe.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 03:35 AM

That's got the old Walker trigger in it.

If I was you I'd pull the firing pin assembly out of the bolt and soak it in a good, light solvent, and I'd remove the trigger assembly and let it soak with the firing pin. I think I'd toss the bolt body in with them as well. And don't lube the trigger---and never let a can of WD40 within 15 feet of the rifle.

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 03:39 AM

up thanks guys, I figured it couldn’t have possibly have been this way all along. I would imagine that when I put it away, I had probably slathered some gun oil on it. I’ll give the bolt a cleaning, I have no doubt that it could definitely use one.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 07:40 AM

If you’ve never had one and want to drastically improve the trigger, Triggertech is very easy to install. I put them on every Remington 700 and 7 I have with no regrets.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 11:12 AM

I have one made in about 1981, given to me new from my folks. I knew I could shoot better than what the VERY heavy pulling trigger would allow me to. We had a friend that knew how to adjust the factory trigger and he did to my preference. I don't know what the pull weight is, but I'd say he got it down to about 2.5 lbs. I hunted hard with it for about 15 years, put it away and moved onto other rifles. Recently put it in a different stock and start hunting with it some and the trigger is still great, no issues with safety and still shoots really well. So, may not need a change, just adjusted after a good cleaning.

If you do want a change, Timney is very good, I've done a few of those over the years.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
Kinda sounds like it was gunked up from non-use. Lube had solidified, maybe.

This. I've seen this before it needs a good off the stock cleaning.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
If you’ve never had one and want to drastically improve the trigger, Triggertech is very easy to install. I put them on every Remington 700 and 7 I have with no regrets.

I replaced a Jewell that was on my Model Seven with a Trigger Tech, and it's a fantastic trigger IMO. The Jewell was okay, but I sensed some inconsistency I did not like with it. I think the TT is superior to Timney, JMO though.

Walker triggers can be great but they MUST be kept very clean. Even then, they're perfectly safe---until they aren't. It is a flawed design.

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 05:39 PM

Update:

Well, I went over and shot a spike this morning. I literally had to jerk on the trigger to get it to discharge. I’m actually a bit shocked that I still managed to hit the deer in the head. It’s currently the worst trigger I’ve ever pulled. It definitely wasn’t a 1 time sticky.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, what’s a good liquid to put in it for the bolt? The stuff I already have sounds pretty strong, figured it’s best to ask you guys. I do have some mineral spirits & kerosene if y’all think those might work and not be too strong.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 05:41 PM

It's probably old [censored] rem oil or hopped that settled in the pin. Just clean it or buy a new trigger. A hang fire can be real bad
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
I have an ultrasonic cleaner, what’s a good liquid to put in it for the bolt? The stuff I already have sounds pretty strong, figured it’s best to ask you guys. I do have some mineral spirits & kerosene if y’all think those might work and not be too strong.

What solvent do you already have that you regularly clean with?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Remington 700 - 01/14/24 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by RiverRider

If I was you I'd pull the firing pin assembly out of the bolt and soak it in a good, light solvent, and I'd remove the trigger assembly and let it soak with the firing pin. I think I'd toss the bolt body in with them as well. And don't lube the trigger---and never let a can of WD40 within 15 feet of the rifle.

Had this issue with one of ours. Disassemble bolt and clean the firing pin and spring fixed it for us. Afterwards I treated every remington we own to the same treatment.

I like to leave my rifles with the firing pin not cocked.

Re: Remington 700 - 01/15/24 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

Honestly, I just bought the cleaner 2 weeks ago and haven’t even used it. They had some powder with it, but it said something about discoloration of certain metals. If you guys have a brand you like or can recommend, I’ll order some of it. Really don’t want to mess up a gun that my grandfather had given me.

Re: Remington 700 - 01/15/24 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Had this issue with one of ours. Disassemble bolt and clean the firing pin and spring fixed it for us. Afterwards I treated every remington we own to the same treatment.

I like to leave my rifles with the firing pin not cocked.

cheers
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Remington 700 - 01/15/24 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

Honestly, I just bought the cleaner 2 weeks ago and haven’t even used it. They had some powder with it, but it said something about discoloration of certain metals. If you guys have a brand you like or can recommend, I’ll order some of it. Really don’t want to mess up a gun that my grandfather had given me.

You'll get 100 different answers to your question. Most any CLP will be fine. Just use what you have.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum