Texas Hunting Forum

Best gunsmiths for custom Pre 64 Model 70 builds?

Posted By: WEATHERBY_MAGNUM

Best gunsmiths for custom Pre 64 Model 70 builds? - 12/25/23 04:23 PM

I'm planning on having 2 Winchester pre 64 actions built up, one in .308 Norma Magnum and the other in .358 Norma Magnum. Why? Just because I like to be different. I want custom stocks made and the whole works essentially. Who are some well-known and regarded smiths that are capable of doing this? Steve Durren is one name that has come to my attention already.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: Best gunsmiths for custom Pre 64 Model 70 builds? - 12/25/23 05:01 PM

You have one not far from you. Bobby Pitchford in Waller. Pitchford Custom Guns. He has built a few for me and they are solid rifles. Shoot good too.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Best gunsmiths for custom Pre 64 Model 70 builds? - 12/27/23 11:39 PM

I’ve done several model 70 builds, and have a nice extended tang .375 build going now for a client. 3yr backlog though. Most anyone at ACGG level, doing such guns will have such backlog.
There’s also Michael Ullman, I believe in central TX.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: Best gunsmiths for custom Pre 64 Model 70 builds? - 12/27/23 11:49 PM

Paul,

Aaron (TDK above) does outstanding work. If you’d like pics of a job he did for me, PM me your contact info (text number or email) and I’ll happily send them to you!
Posted By: WBT

Re: Best gunsmiths for custom Pre 64 Model 70 builds? - 12/29/23 10:25 PM

Steve built a rifle for me a few years ago and he does good work. My advice is to check out the custom gunmakers guild website and see what tickles your fancy. The guild has its own section at next week’s Dallas Safari Club show where you’d have a chance to talk to several builders. I believe Steve was there last year. Not sure about this year, but there will be other top end smiths to chat with.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Best gunsmiths for custom Pre 64 Model 70 builds? - 12/29/23 10:45 PM

I'd be contacting the Hales.

https://pre64win.com/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum