Texas Hunting Forum

Blaser R8

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Blaser R8 - 10/03/23 11:43 PM

First time shooting one of these rifles. This is my Buddies Blaser R8 .300 Win Mag. This is one fine rifle. I can see why they are so expensive. It has a very effective muzzle brake, and he had extra weight added to the buttstock. He also bought the B2 2.5-15 Blaser scope. Again, one of the finest scopes I have ever sighted in. The trigger is awesome, and I loved the straight pull action. Barels are easily swapable, scope QD mounts repeat zero very good. We are going to chase whitetails in December.

This rifle DOES NOT kick at all. I was all ready for the recoil like my Sako 85 .300 win. This was a cream puff. Out of my price range by a mile.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 12:36 AM

I don’t remember seeing a pic your Sako 85 300 Win mag. You should post a pic.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 12:37 AM

Buzz, you have probably lost enough $ on gun deals over the years to own one with a couple barrels. Those are fine rifles for sure
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 12:58 AM

Fine rifles.

Thought about ordering one and if I rifle hunted more I would.

Very innovative firearm, I like the R8 professional

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 01:08 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 01:24 AM

I'll take the Sako all day long. Nice rifle Buzz.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jgraider

Beautiful rifle.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Beautiful rifle.

Agree very good looking rifle Buzz
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 03:21 PM

Buzz,

add an APA Gen 1 muzzle brake and the recoil goes away. 9/16”x32 fits most .30 cal light contour barrels. I have this brake on my .300 Win Mag and kids shoot it no big deal. It recoils way less than a .308 with light loads and no brake.

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/collections/gen-1-muzzle-brakes/products/gen-1-micro-bastard

That is a beautiful rifle.
Posted By: 2000cbr929

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 03:33 PM

I have used my R8 professional for years for hunts and general shooting. It comes completely apart and goes back in the case every outing. All on the original zero. Incredible engineering. I don't think i will ever get rid of it.
Posted By: trigger time

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 05:26 PM

Buzz, Jeff is spot on. I used the answer brake from apa on my 28 and shooting 195's it's a pleasure to shoot.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by kmon11
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Beautiful rifle.

Agree very good looking rifle Buzz

+1 that’s beautiful
Posted By: Judd

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 06:28 PM

I think he sold that rifle a LONG time ago...

I hope some of y'all are sitting down because I know that is shocking information rofl
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 07:07 PM

//////////// wtf

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

[Linked Image]

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/04/23 07:47 PM

Alas Juddly is correct. The Sako now resides in a doctors safe in Houston. violin
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/05/23 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by J.G.
//////////// wtf

Sure looks that way.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/05/23 02:11 AM

Have two Sako 85 Finnlights, a 308 Winchester 22” & 300 WSM 24”. Absolutely love them.

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/05/23 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Have two Sako 85 Finnlights, a 308 Winchester 22” & 300 WSM 24”. Absolutely love them.

up
Posted By: P_102

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/05/23 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
//////////// wtf

Sure looks that way.

Agree. Hope the new owner fixed it!

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/05/23 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
//////////// wtf

Sure looks that way.

optical illusion

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/06/23 01:49 PM

one problem with this Blaser set up for me is when the scope is mounted, the scope is too far forward for me. At max magnification, I don't get full field of view. lop is not adjustable. I'm short and fat, so it's probably just me not the rig.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/06/23 02:00 PM

Buzz i feel like that has to be a problem specific to that set up. I’m going out on a limb and saying Blaser didn’t overlook it.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/06/23 02:20 PM

Consider that a blessing Buzz...you could almost have two full blown customs for what that thing costs. It's an expensive factory novelty...and if my dog looked like it did, I'd shave his donkey and make him walk backwards...yeah, it needed to be said.

If you just have to have one, I'm sure there are scope mounts for the vertically no neck challenged rofl
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/06/23 02:21 PM

one problem with this Blaser set up for me is when the scope is mounted, the scope is too far forward for me. At max magnification, I don't get full field of view. lop is not adjustable. I'm short and fat, so it's probably just me not the rig.

I have the R8 Ultimate and the stock has a built in tool-free adjustable cheek riser as well as an adjust butt pad/length of pull. Blaser has thought of everything IMO. It’s a masterpiece of craftsmanship and quality. Mines chambered in 375h&h. No break, but I went with the semi-weighted barrel over the fluted barrel. She definitely lets you know when you shoot it but it’s more of a push than a violent snap, to me at least. It is the only rifle that’s ever scoped me but I knew it was likely to happen given the set up I had when shooting my bear. I am a big fan of the thumb whole stock and as mentioned above, she has been broken down and reassembled multiple times and never budged from zero. Backpacking with it is a joy given its lightweight and compactness. There is really nothing to not like about it.

Re: Blaser R8 - 10/06/23 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Theringworm

I have the R8 Ultimate and the stock has a built in tool-free adjustable cheek riser as well as an adjust butt pad/length of pull. Blaser has thought of everything IMO. It’s a masterpiece of craftsmanship and quality. Mines chambered in 375h&h. No break, but I went with the semi-weighted barrel over the fluted barrel. She definitely lets you know when you shoot it but it’s more of a push than a violent snap, to me at least. It is the only rifle that’s ever scoped me but I knew it was likely to happen given the set up I had when shooting my bear. I am a big fan of the thumb whole stock and as mentioned above, she has been broken down and reassembled multiple times and never budged from zero. Backpacking with it is a joy given its lightweight and compactness. There is really nothing to not like about it.

Thanks ringworm, great rifles indeed. This is the way all rifles should be built, adjustable to the shooter.

JUST MY OPINION JUDD !!!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum