Texas Hunting Forum

Do All Shotgun

Posted By: Brother in-law

Do All Shotgun - 07/18/23 11:39 PM

I’m toying with the idea of a new do all 12 ga. I do 3-5 charity sporting clay events a year and 1-4 bird hunts. Let’s say up to $2000 give or take. I don’t really want wood and I think I want Semiauto

28 or 30”
Benelli, Beretta, Browning?
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/18/23 11:48 PM

I would go with a 28" Benelli Super Black Eagle. One of these should be able to handle any shotgun related task.

Also with the right choke one of these will throw super tight buckshot patterns for deer and hogs.

Posted By: Greg

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/18/23 11:58 PM

Back in 2000 I bought a M1 Super90 and haven’t looked back. I never needed 3.5” to kill birds growing up, so chose it instead of the SBE. (Plus I really liked the camo pattern it had grin). The gun has worked flawless for me over these years and I really don’t think I’ll ever need another semi-auto.

Gonna come down to how it feels/fits you, but I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the “B’s” you mentioned.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/18/23 11:58 PM

I do not think you can go wrong with any of the Bs. Pops really likes is SBE3 for what it is worth.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 12:01 AM

Benelli M2

Beretta A400 extreme

Browning Maxis.

Whatever fits you best will work.

If your not hunting waterfowl I would suggest a 20 gauge O/U. Browning cynergy is available in synthetic stock

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
I’m toying with the idea of a new do all 12 ga. I do 3-5 charity sporting clay events a year and 1-4 bird hunts. Let’s say up to $2000 give or take. I don’t really want wood and I think I want Semiauto

28 or 30”
Benelli, Beretta, Browning?

SBE3 28ga
Posted By: Judd

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 12:41 AM

Beretta
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 12:44 AM

I think Benelli is as good as it gets as far as all around
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 12:46 AM

To compare, just an honest review here...

I run a Beretta A400 and my good friend runs a Benelli SBE

So get my hands on both when we are busting clays

Neither is wrong w either but his SBE is better made piece of equipment
Posted By: erathar

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 01:01 AM

I wouldn’t dismiss a Franchi.
Posted By: ken starling

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 01:05 AM

For sure handle all of them if at all possible before you decide. I personally like the feel of the SBE3 and my A5 compared to the A400 Extreme. Just feels better for me. All 3 great guns
Posted By: P_102

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 01:58 AM

In the clay target world the A400 is king but I can’t speak for it vs. others in the bird patch. For what it’s worth, good target guns do not make good field guns and I’d bet you would eventually realize that and be unhappy with whatever you chose.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 02:34 AM

Do all for me means a pump with a 3 inch chamber, 20 inch barrel threaded for choke tubes and a receiver tapped for scope/red dot.
Posted By: scot

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 02:55 AM

I’ve been absolutely blown away with the SX4 I picked up this past year. Runs extremely well for cheap target loads and 3.5” duck loads. Somehow it has significantly improved my shooting as well.

For half the price of the big name guys I’ve been impressed.

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by rickt300
Do all for me means a pump with a 3 inch chamber, 20 inch barrel threaded for choke tubes and a receiver tapped for scope/red dot.

I already have that and it’s not a do all

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 03:01 AM

Posted By: MD254

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 04:07 AM

A400
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Judd
Beretta

Oh god, we agree about something again, I have to go shower and see if I can shake this feeling of filth
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 05:14 AM

My redneck .02 cents worth, I have a 26” SBE3 and it’s a nice gun but I’ve always second guessed myself until I shot a friends Berretta all day at a sporting clay event and decided I made the right purchase. Both are nice shotguns but if you have the option to shoot somebody’s I’d jump on it and run one yourself.

I’m not sure where you live but if your anywhere around me your welcome to shoot mine,
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 02:00 PM

Go to Scheels and handle all of them.

Which one fits best when looking down the rib.

Recoil doesn't bother you by all means go Benelli or Franchi. M2 or SBEIII for the 3.5" chamber if you go goose hunting.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 02:14 PM

Anything but a Benelli. Beretta A300 is a damn good gun for the money.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 02:18 PM

If you can find a place to shoot them all I'd do that. All great guns but they all fit different. If you buy one that doesn't fit you it will just aggravate the hell out of you. I'm pretty good with a Browning Cynergy, but I can't hit anything with a Benelli.

From what I've seen in the field, I'd recommend a SBE2 over a SBE3.

In a semi-auto, I'd stick with something with a 3" chamber. Will be much more reliable on light 2 3/4" loads that you may end up shooting at dove or skeet. 3" will kill anything you may hunt. Hell, my son used to kill cranes with a 20 GA.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 02:52 PM

I suggest what Buzzsaw said, go to Scheels and try them all. Also ask which sales person knows the most about shotguns. I use the Beretta a400 xtreme in 12 gauge, left hand.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Go to Scheels and handle all of them.

Which one fits best when looking down the rib.

This.

A 3" chambered 12 ga semi by any of the big Bs will function similarly. The diff will be in the feel and fit. What works for you may not be what works for others.

For what you're doing tho, I would consider an O/U or SxS, especially if you're not duck hunting.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 04:36 PM

I have a Browning Maxus you are welcome to try. I chose it over the Beretta only due to fit. Note, you will feel more recoil from the Benelli.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by scot

No wrong answer from the B guns.. but take a look at the Winchester SX4 as well. I'd be sorely pressed not to buy one if I needed/wanted a new Semi. This video is one of the reviews that caught my attention.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 08:11 PM

I've tried them all, and several years ago settled on the Benelli M2.
Posted By: Andrewhunter08

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 08:21 PM

Be a boss and shot at those with the $300 870 from Academy. People laugh until they see this redneck outshoot those super overpriced shotguns. I'll always keep that wingmaster close and use it for all birds. Good luck.

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 08:57 PM

Dave is right above, most get wrapped up in Benelli, Browning and Beretta.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/19/23 09:39 PM

I owned one of the SX3's when they first came out...softest shooting 12g shotty I ever owned. It just did not fit me and I never shot it worth a crap...I also had a Browning Cynergy o/u duck gun that was the same way.

Fit plays a huge factor in how well you will shoot it.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 12:00 AM

Beretta A300 Ultima is the best deal on a shotgun, IMO, and it's half your budget. I have an A400 and really like it, but if I buy another it will be the A300 Ultima.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 12:43 AM

I’ll be the odd man. I have been thru semi’s, pumps, o/u’s, single shots. After 30 years of 870’s & BPS’s and happy with them until I wasn’t.

I settled on the Browning Auto-5, 1965 Belgian. I love it, don’t use anything else. Still have the 870 & BPS, just don’t use them.

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
Beretta A300 Ultima is the best deal on a shotgun, IMO, and it's half your budget. I have an A400 and really like it, but if I buy another it will be the A300 Ultima.

I have shot one. While I did well with it I felt it was punching me in the jaw when I shot it

I have 870, 1187. I tested out a longer 28-30” barrel and I shot better and it felt easier on clays

I’ve been duck hunting less than 10 x as I don’t care for it.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 05:29 PM

BIL, that surprises me. My A400 is a peach to shoot. I also have several Beretta 390's and they are easy on the shoulder too. Maybe the fit wasn't right. Although, the 1187 is known as a really light shooter as well.

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 05:38 PM

Its funny how each gun is so different to each shooter.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by rickt300

I already have that and it’s not a do all

Does all I need done. Don't shoot much skeet though. Do deer, hog, rabbit hunt and occasionally knock off a poisonous snake. However I must have 10 other shotguns.

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 08:42 PM

I have shot one. While I did well with it I felt it was punching me in the jaw when I shot it

I have 870, 1187. I tested out a longer 28-30” barrel and I shot better and it felt easier on clays

What are you expecting this new auto shotgun to do that the 11-87 won’t?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 08:45 PM

not use 1987 o-rings
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 09:03 PM

A $254 Mossberg 500 Field model pump from Walmart will “do all”. A shotgun is just a pipe with a firing pin.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/20/23 10:09 PM

Probably a Benelli montefeltro. But since you don't want wood probably an m2

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/21/23 12:01 AM

Get me higher scores on clays while I can still use it in the field

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/21/23 12:21 AM

Get me higher scores on clays while I can still use it in the field

Patrick, you’ve already learned that a longer barrel helps, another thing good target guns have is more weight. Both barrel length and overall weight of the gun promote better follow through…..neither of these things are common to good field guns because they both hinder quick handling and mounting, not to mention just carrying them around all day. Your best bet, if you insist on this fools errand, is to go with the semi of your choice with a 30” barrel for clays and a 24-26” barrel for the field.
The only problem with this is that you’re still stuck with 12 ga. when a 20 or even 28 is a better choice for the field and O/Us with interchangeable barrel sets are too expensive. Last, shoot with more open chokes, a large % of shooters use too much choke. Go to a clays range for practice/fun, screw in a skeet choke and leave it there for the full 100 targets, then see what your score is.

Edit: Oh yeah, check into a barrel weight from Brileys and either a mercury recoil reducer or a roll of quarters to put in the butt of your stock…these will get you the weight you need for clays yet can be removed for the field.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/21/23 01:42 AM

For me, there's one answer

Franchi Affinity 3

Everything comes out the front, no reason to remove the buttstock after cast and drop is set. Made in the same factory as the Benelli, uses the Beretta .729" bore diameter instead of the skinny .723" Benelli bore. Patterns great with steel or lead, handles light target loads, easy to clean and can be had for half of the Benelli.

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/21/23 02:18 AM

Great ad Mr. Maas, I’m a Franchi fan also…..but what do all those statements mean with the question at hand? Franchi is a great brand but not the answer here…..too light.

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/21/23 02:23 AM

X2. The A300 Ultima is a fantastic gun and a great value
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/21/23 11:12 AM

Go buy the Beretta Extreme Plus that just got posted in the classifieds. It’s a 26” model and would be a great go between from clays to field.

For the record, my A300 has been flawless
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/22/23 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by P_102
Great ad Mr. Maas, I’m a Franchi fan also…..but what do all those statements mean with the question at hand? Franchi is a great brand but not the answer here…..too light.

I bet I have shot several thousand 1 1/4oz steel loads at 1450fps and up with no complaints from me. Shot tons of 1oz target loads with no hiccups either out of the Affinity 3. 7lb shotgun is too light, would have never guessed.

Most of the autos being mentioned are right at 7lbs, sporting guns get there additional weight from actual weights. By all means, don't let me stop you from spending twice as much as needed.

Well then, find a new in the box Japanese Light 12.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/22/23 03:19 AM

A shotgun is a personal thing. I have a lot of them but only hunt with a few. Try what your friends have on a dove hunt and decide what you like. Pick one and use it for life!

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/22/23 02:18 PM

I’ve gone and held a few and still up in the air. Top two at the moment are probably the a400 and the Benelli Supersport
The Franchi was nice just didn’t feel right.
I’m having some issue seeing the bead just right on the beretta , not sure if it’s just an adjustment on the stock or something easy to make the bead go to a natural point

Then there’s that 28 vs 30 thing
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/22/23 02:50 PM

I’ve gone and held a few and still up in the air. Top two at the moment are probably the a400 and the Benelli Supersport
I’m having some issue seeing the bead just right on the beretta , not sure if it’s just an adjustment on the stock or something easy to make the bead go to a natural point

On second thought, since you already have the 1187 and shoot it well for hunting, why don't you get a shotgun geared toward sporting clays since that is what you want to improve. Go 30" or 32". Also, try an O/U. I shoot my Browning Special Sporting (compromise between a field and sporting clays gun) for everything. The weight is inconsequential unless you walk a LOT for hunting. You are welcome to borrow mine for your next clays round. Note, I have not felt only two rounds hinders me at all in hunting as my 3rd shot with my autos is generally a desperation shot anyways.

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/22/23 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Big Fitz

On second thought, since you already have the 1187 and shoot it well for hunting, why don't you get a shotgun geared toward sporting clays since that is what you want to improve. Go 30" or 32". Also, try an O/U. I shoot my Browning Special Sporting (compromise between a field and sporting clays gun) for everything. The weight is inconsequential unless you walk a LOT for hunting. You are welcome to borrow mine for your next clays round. Note, I have not felt only two rounds hinders me at all in hunting as my 3rd shot with my autos is generally a desperation shot anyways.

Disagree about weight being inconsequential….I have a browning citori special steel 12 ga. that is a heavy O/U. Weighs something like 8 1/2 lbs.

With 1 oz. Target loads its such a pleasure to shoot I find myself picking it up to go off to the dove fields when I shot a 20 gauge exclusively for over a decade. Heavy guns kick less, as you mentioned unless your carrying it all day don’t get hung up on it being lightweight
Posted By: Augustus1994

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/23/23 04:28 AM

Beretta A391 Extrema2 with the kickoff for me. It’s been a great gun but had to send it back to mfg to clear the gas port initially.
Posted By: Bill Marshall

Re: Do All Shotgun - 07/23/23 12:30 PM

Hard to beat an O/U for all around due to choke versatility on two shots. Used Beretta/Browning in great shape can be found in $1500-2000 range
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum