Texas Hunting Forum

Bugout Bag???

Posted By: friscotx

Bugout Bag??? - 01/19/21 08:31 PM

In going along with the "How long could you live" thread. What is in your bugout bag? What necessities do you most definitely pack?
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/19/21 08:35 PM

Booze and Blow!!

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/19/21 08:35 PM

Oh and skittles.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/19/21 08:38 PM

Rations for 5 Days
IFAK plus extra med supplies
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Clothing for 5 days (Drawers, Socks, Shirts, Jacket)
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
10 Gallons Gas (Garage...easy to throw in truck)
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol
Toiletries

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/19/21 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

Must be a big [censored] bag lol. I can barely fit 5 days of clothes in a carry on suitcase lol.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/19/21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

Must be a big [censored] bag lol. I can barely fit 5 days of clothes in a carry on suitcase lol.

Green duffel from Army days
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/19/21 08:49 PM

My beer fridge and my reloading bench are both in the garage. When the SHTF, I will unplug the beer fridge and throw in in the bed of the truck. Rip my reloading bench off the wall and throw it in the bed of the truck. My wife will be emptying the contents of the safe into the backseat of the truck. All essentials covered.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/19/21 11:08 PM

I need to put one together
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/19/21 11:50 PM

I have a bug out bag but it aint for end of times. Its for being left in a deer blind on a place i never been too and was left and forgoten. Like back in 2008. I found my way back to camp only cause i had a hand held gps and marked camp Had 911 on the phone cause my buddy never picked me up from my blind. And he wasnt at camp This was midnight. I was thinking he rolled the polaris over after dropping me off and popped his melon. Anyway he showed up about 1 am when sherrifs were in route. He fell asleep in the blind. Anyway my bag has the things needed to make it a few days in the woods
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 12:13 AM

Start at the beginning. Water. Carrying it is heavy. Having the ability to filter it is not so heavy. Just depends on where you are. Where I stays, there's water pretty available on any route.

Next, is staying warm and dry. On a hypothermia CPR, you're not dead until you are warm and dead.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 02:01 AM

Booze and Blow!!

My man!!
Posted By: 5 Stand Dan

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 03:41 AM

I have a simple philosophy.
Win a gunfight, get their stuff
Lose a gunfight, doesn't matter
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 03:42 AM

Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

5 days of clothes also seems like a waste of space. If we are talking SHTF, are you really gonna care about having pretty clean clothes? Maybe 1 set in case you get wet but otherwise clothes take up space fast.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 04:14 AM

Ammo, With that you can acquire the necessities. One way or another.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by z71dustin
Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

5 days of clothes also seems like a waste of space. If we are talking SHTF, are you really gonna care about having pretty clean clothes? Maybe 1 set in case you get wet but otherwise clothes take up space fast.

Are you carrying my bag? Want me to lighten it for you sweetheart?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by vanguard
I have a bug out bag but it aint for end of times. Its for being left in a deer blind on a place i never been too and was left and forgoten. Like back in 2008. I found my way back to camp only cause i had a hand held gps and marked camp Had 911 on the phone cause my buddy never picked me up from my blind. And he wasnt at camp This was midnight. I was thinking he rolled the polaris over after dropping me off and popped his melon. Anyway he showed up about 1 am when sherrifs were in route. He fell asleep in the blind. Anyway my bag has the things needed to make it a few days in the woods

I would find new buddies, but always good to be prepared.......I can't sleep in a blind or at camp when I am responsible for someone, brain just doesn't work that way even if I'm drinking.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dadof2
Booze and Blow!!

My man!!

And don't forget the cool2
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 05:05 AM

Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

No offense but you aint carrying that either. What you gonna do if a emp wipes out your ability to drive your truck? Carrying one of those green duffles any distance isn’t fun.

Plus, not sure what the gas is for, could get rid of about 70# right there. But after you waste your 5 liters of water walking the first couple miles, what you gonna do for water and purification after that?

I mentioned in the other thread no one can be fully prepared for every scenario....you gotta be lean, adaptable and have some skill set to get you places. I hate to say it but your load out would not last long without your vehicle. Bug out bags are typically designed to be mobile and diverse of need, might want to reconsider the booze too. If you need it bad enough for a BOB you gonna be hurting pretty quick when SHTF

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 05:17 AM

I hate to agree with Texas Buckwheat grin

but he's right on this one.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 05:27 AM

Lifestraws and ammo.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 07:06 AM

Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

It appears youre the sensitive type. That doesnt bode well for your chances if the SHTF.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 01:12 PM

6.5 Creedmoor. Do you really need anything else? grin

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 01:33 PM

[/quote]

It appears youre the sensitive type. That doesnt bode well for your chances if the SHTF. [/quote]

up
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 02:01 PM

I made a knife several years ago to go with my SHTF/Bugout kit. If all I get away with is this knife, I could at lease build a simple shelter and make a fire.
The knife is double edged with the top edge meant for processing wood, saving the primary edge for field dressing game, cleaning fish, etc.. (this was cool in theory but dangerous in reality, have to be VERY cautious of that top edge. I actually blunted it a bit but it is still sharp enough to delimb small branches and saplings. I will not make another with top edge) The butt/pommel area is pointed for defense, breaking glass, punch holes in canned goods, etc.
The sheath is carried via tek lok which is reversible for horizontal or vertical carry. The sheath also contains a small amount of paracord, mini benchmade knife sharpener, fire steel with striker and a flashlight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Misfire
I made a knife several years ago to go with my SHTF/Bugout kit. If all I get away with is this knife, I could at lease build a simple shelter and make a fire.
The knife is double edged with the top edge meant for processing wood, saving the primary edge for field dressing game, cleaning fish, etc.. (this was cool in theory but dangerous in reality, have to be VERY cautious of that top edge. I actually blunted it a bit but it is still sharp enough to delimb small branches and saplings. I will not make another with top edge) The butt/pommel area is pointed for defense, breaking glass, punch holes in canned goods, etc.
The sheath is carried via tek lok which is reversible for horizontal or vertical carry. The sheath also contains a small amount of paracord, mini benchmade knife sharpener, fire steel with striker and a flashlight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like that, very well thought out.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 02:13 PM

Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

I'm currently wearing 5 days worth of clothes.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

I'm currently wearing 5 days worth of clothes.

Same. Look at thru hikers like those that hike the Appalachian trail. They wear 6 months of clothes at the same time. Smell can be a powerful defense.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 03:56 PM

My bug out bag consists of what is in my pockets and a glock 9mm. Wallet, pocket knife, keys, smart phone. If the SHTF it will all be worthless except the pocket knife and the gun, and I only have 6 rounds in the glock.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 03:57 PM

Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

Not really, packed in three, 1 gallon ziplock bags vacuum sealed. Gotta pack smart!

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 04:35 PM

Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol

Not really, packed in three, 1 gallon ziplock bags vacuum sealed. Gotta pack smart!

Packing smart would be packing more ration bars for longer than 5 days and a water filter.

Dude, you have as much clothing as you do food and less water. You will go thru that water in a day or less, then you will be dead by the time your day 5 clothing change takes place.

What am I missing here?
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 04:35 PM

Gun/ammo
Good fixed blade knife
Outdoor edge pocket knife with changeable blades
Small folding saw
Water straw /filter
Ss water bottle
Fire starter
Small poly tarp
Emergency blanket
Para cord
Fish hooks/fishing line
Flash light /batteries
Emergency food
First aid kit/medicine
A change of clothes
Pair of crocs
Sun hat

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 04:58 PM

LIke the last two on your list mbavo. Lightweight, and very useful.

People underestimate the ability to get out of boots and let feet breathe. Nothing will cut a bug out short like a good case of trench foot.

Also, sun protection is key, esp where we live. Again, can make or break a several day journey by foot or bike if you are getting raked by the sun or being protected from the sun. A lot of folks would say they will travel by moonlight during a bug out.....thats also a viable option if you have a good idea of where you are going and can navigate at night.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 05:18 PM

@Texasbuckeye...

dude...you're missing what will picked up or taken from liberals along the way. I'm in the water business, I know how to filter it. My kit is sufficient. YMMV.

I did forget to mention a compass. Those of you that were in the military should remember your landnav training. There will be no GPS.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 05:34 PM

@Texasbuckeye...

dude...you're missing what will picked up or taken from liberals along the way. I'm in the water business, I know how to filter it. My kit is sufficient. YMMV.

I did forget to mention a compass. Those of you that were in the military should remember your landnav training. There will be no GPS.

So no GPS but your truck will still work?

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 06:58 PM

it may or may
@Texasbuckeye...

It may or may not but will drive it as long as I can...just like everyone else.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 08:12 PM

Don't forget to stock up on antibiotics. A simple cut or scratch after SHTF could be deadly.

Fish Antibiotics sold at pet stores is same as the prescription stuff.

Something like the ones below. 100 caplets 500MG of Amoxicillin for $22, these have around a 2 year shelf life although would probably last longer. This could be a life saver at the end of the world.

https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-amoxicillin/dp/185207
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 08:34 PM

Vodka and TP.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 08:36 PM

Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol
Toiletries

Have you weighed this bob? Minus the gas of course.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 08:42 PM

Are you prepping now Dustin?
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 10:12 PM

@Texasbuckeye...

My 79 CJ5 will. Won't carry much stuff though. Will have to have a trailer.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 10:37 PM

I swore this was gonna be a buzzsaw thread when I saw the title.

I need a two guns , ammo, a knife, fishing line, hooks, and a day or two worth of water, I can figure out the rest.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 10:40 PM

Booze and Blow!!

My man!!

Says dad of two...I suppose you and Kyle would get along great.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
Booze and Blow!!

My man!!

Says dad of two...I suppose you and Kyle would get along great.

I'm going to live like a king for about a week when the world ends.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Payne
Rations for 5 Days
Meds Aspirin
5 Liters of Water
Blanket
Batteries
Lighter/Matches
Paper map
Dude wipes/TP
Guns
Ammo
Knife
Alcohol
Toiletries

Have you weighed this bob? Minus the gas of course.

No, not yet. Food is mostly vacuum packaging. No tins or cans. Ammo and water will be the nut breaker.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 10:57 PM

unless those five days of clothes are lycra bike suits you're carrying dead weight.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Payne
unless those five days of clothes are lycra bike suits you're carrying dead weight.

5 socks
5 drawers
3 t-shirts
1 pant
1 jacket

clothing is not a weight problem

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/20/21 11:09 PM

I don't have a bug out bag, but don't live in the big city either. SHTF and I'm pretty confident me and my family will be OK for a good while, given the provisions that I already have in place (water, plenty deer/pigs/fish/other game here after other food resources exhausted). Plenty firewood & propane, UTV's & gas, generators. Have several like minded neighbors that would help each other out. Will just say, I have a little ammo and a few guns around, and everyone in my family knows how to use them. Could use some more fire extinguishers and a few other things. Obviously, if my land & house were swarmed by hundreds or thousands of armed intruders we'd be in trouble. If I absolutely had to bug out, I've got a place to go an hour from here that's farther out in the country. Can take low traffic back roads all the way, team up and dig in with my Marine Cousins.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/21/21 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
I don't have a bug out bag, but don't live in the big city either. SHTF and I'm pretty confident me and my family will be OK for a good while, given the provisions that I already have in place (water, plenty deer/pigs/fish/other game here after other food resources exhausted). Plenty firewood & propane, UTV's & gas, generators. Have several like minded neighbors that would help each other out. Will just say, I have a little ammo and a few guns around, and everyone in my family knows how to use them. Could use some more fire extinguishers and a few other things. Obviously, if my land & house were swarmed by hundreds or thousands of armed intruders we'd be in trouble. If I absolutely had to bug out, I've got a place to go an hour from here that's farther out in the country. Can take low traffic back roads all the way, team up and dig in with my Marine Cousins.

No bug out bag here. I don’t live in the city. If it ever comes down to it I would rather make a stand and go down swinging than run. Maybe the folks like me will give the runners a head start.

Re: Bugout Bag??? - 01/21/21 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Originally Posted by skinnerback

No bug out bag here. I don’t live in the city. If it ever comes down to it I would rather make a stand and go down swinging than run. Maybe the folks like me will give the runners a head start.

That’s right.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum