Texas Hunting Forum

Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"?

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 01:38 PM

Getting a barrel "spun up"

jeez, so "street"
Posted By: P_102

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 01:51 PM

Don’t even know what that means. Misuse of the term ‘tubes’ is a head shaker, just as calling any clay targets ‘Skeet’.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 01:52 PM

It's moving so fast the bullet actually takes flight and rises once out of the muzzle before it starts to drop.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 01:57 PM

Those that call a pistol magazine a "clip".
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 01:59 PM

Hornady vs Horn-a-day... gag.

Not sure why I let that upset me so much.
Posted By: AMF

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 02:00 PM

Bullet tips. Saw that on a shooting supplies web site.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
It's moving so fast the bullet actually takes flight and rises once out of the muzzle before it starts to drop.

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Those that call a pistol magazine a "clip".

Originally Posted by reeder05
Hornady vs Horn-a-day... gag.

Not sure why I let that upset me so much.

^^Agreed

Six five is another one. Six five what?
Posted By: papa45

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 02:23 PM

"Bullets" instead of cartridges or rounds or ammunition

"Gun" instead of rifle (Maybe echoes from Army basic training. "This is my rifle, this is my gun...")
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 02:33 PM

Barrel break in
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 03:02 PM

“Tipped with”
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 03:18 PM

I've learned to just let most of that go unless it's somebody I care enough about to correct them. I wouldn't want them sounding like an idiot. If you try to correct an idiot that is blissfully unaware of how dumb they sound, they probably won't take the correction well.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 03:18 PM

Shotty.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 03:24 PM

Great one's guys

Like my new "stick"...(rifle)
Posted By: dee

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 04:03 PM

Everything with a plastic tip is a ballistic tip.......
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 04:19 PM

Tactacool.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by TDK
Shotty.

Winny, Mossy, Remmy
Slug, pill, bullet tip (what the heck?)
Hex Barrel.........for Octagon.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 04:25 PM

Sendit.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 04:40 PM

So "street". Huh? I don't understand that, and don't believe I've ever heard it before. PSA - a clip is a strip of metal that holds any number of rounds to be loaded into a gun's magazine. The Magazine is the metal box that said round sit in awating chambering.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 05:53 PM

"Smokepole". It's a muzzleloader.
"Hammer". Usually some guy's pet name for a 300 Win Mag.
"Silencer". Jeez.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 05:58 PM

definitely clips instead of magazines...and "assault weapon" as referred to by characteristics instead of a select fire weapon of intermediate caliber.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 06:11 PM

I don't recall who it was but a few years back an aid of a politician was asked, what about the high capacity magazines that already exist? The aid responded, we'll ban the sale of new ones, once the existing ones are used up, they'll be all gone. I liked the logic and understanding of the topic so much I have applied it to my trucks. I don't refill them with gas anymore, once empty, I just buy a new one. rolleyes
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 06:23 PM

Just rack the slide and the criminals will run away.
Calling a Shilen Barrel a "Shillings" Barrel.
Calling a pistol a "Gat" or a "Piece".
Walking up to a gun show table with an AK laying on it and asking the dealer if it has "Da Switch" on it.
Walking up to a gun show table with an AR laying on it and asking the dealer if it has "Da Switch" on it.
The previously mentioned "Hornaday" and then trying to explain to people that Hornady only has one "A" and they tell you you don't know what you are talking about.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: ep2621

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 06:40 PM

The term ban.
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 07:47 PM

"running" guns or "running" ammo. Guns fire, you shoot ammo. As in I "run" this sort of ammo in my rifle.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by TSU99
"running" guns or "running" ammo. Guns fire, you shoot ammo. As in I "run" this sort of ammo in my rifle.

can't stand this.

"running this in my rig".....your shooting a firearm not driving an 18 wheeler
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 08:13 PM

Getting pretty tired of 'Smoked 'em!'.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Smoking comes much later in the process.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 08:23 PM

Oh, always concerns me Remington 870 owners can never seem to buy a boat paddle.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 08:28 PM

I don't recall who it was but a few years back an aid of a politician was asked, what about the high capacity magazines that already exist? The aid responded, we'll ban the sale of new ones, once the existing ones are used up, they'll be all gone. I liked the logic and understanding of the topic so much I have applied it to my trucks. I don't refill them with gas anymore, once empty, I just buy a new one. rolleyes

Diana DeGette, Colorado. It's on video, search her name + magazine

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 08:29 PM

6.5 manbun
Posted By: JRSUSMC94

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 08:39 PM

I never really cared for the term "high powered" rifle in the media, or really many other terms they use to describe firearms.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Sendit.

bang
Posted By: Judd

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 09:15 PM

People that worry what other people call things...annoying as [censored] to me.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 09:23 PM

Some of the terms yall are mentioning I would put into two separate categories.
--Category #1 is for people that are less informed than you and are misspeaking and using a term incorrectly. That really doesnt bother me cause I know much less than many on any given subject. I drive a car but I dont know much about working on it so I wouldnt like to be ridiculed for not knowing one car part for another. You can be a very good hunter without knowing everything about guns and ammo jargon. Now for the guy that acts like he knows it all and then he misspeaks then thats different.
--Category #2 is for people that appear to be very informed, to the point that they use jargon or terms that only the informed would understand or appreciate. Kind of a cryptic language only understood by those within their circle. If guys like this are speaking to their own crowd then its just an easier way for them to communicate. If they know they are speaking outside their crowd then it seems they would take it down a notch or I figure they are showing off that they belong to "a crowd". Personally I try to read my audience and speak in a way that they can understand. Of course on an open forum that can be difficult.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

Man i didnt think it was that cold this morning but it must have been me and Judd agree.
Posted By: FTWshooter

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Papalote
Originally Posted by TDK
Shotty.

Winny, Mossy, Remmy

All of those, plus "Creed" and "bull barrel" for any barrel larger than .700 diameter

Oh and anyone that says "Better Bob" referring to there "257 Roy" or "257 Bee"
Posted By: Judd

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Man i didnt think it was that cold this morning but it must have been me and Judd agree.

Awe hell...you think it froze over? wink
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 10:05 PM

I spun up a new shorty barrel for my 6.5, I’m going to call her Molly Judd

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Papalote
Originally Posted by TDK
Shotty.

Winny, Mossy, Remmy

There is nothing wrong with being voice or typing lazy.

And I agree only Yankees have slug guns
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 10:12 PM

Yep
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 11:20 PM

Because gravity acts on ALL bullets once they leave the barrel, the path of any bullet (or projectile for that matter) that's aimed at a distant target must follow an arch where it rises for some distance before descending towards the target. For this reason, when a rifle is sighted, the barrel is pointing upwards by some measure so the bullet can reach a distant target.

Here's a lesson I remember learning back in high school Physics class. Assume you could create a setup where a bullet can be fired through a vacuum. The bullet is fired horizontally with the ground and the ground has no arch. If you could hold an identical bullet at the same height as the barrel and drop it at the same instant the bullet leaves the barrel, BOTH bullets would impact the ground at the same time.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by LeonCarr
Walking up to a gun show table with an AK laying on it and asking the dealer if it has "Da Switch" on it

No Comprende, please explain
Posted By: AMF

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 11:41 PM

Walking up to a gun show table with an AK laying on it and asking the dealer if it has "Da Switch" on it

Semi to full auto
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 11:48 PM

Creed
Hornady ballistic tips
assault rifles
Posted By: Roughneck913

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/02/20 11:57 PM

In my younger days selling guns, I used to try to correct people on this, to the point where some people were shouting as though the volume of their speech made them less wrong

Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
"Smokepole". It's a muzzleloader.
"Hammer". Usually some guy's pet name for a 300 Win Mag.
"Silencer". Jeez.

I've always had mixed feelings on this one. "Silencer" was the patented term I believe, and is still the term of choice by the ATF. Does that make it correct? maybe not, but its not even worth being annoyed by to me.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Duke107

Semi to full auto

Also called ‘Group Therapy’ or ‘Happy’ switch.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by P_102
Originally Posted by Duke107

Semi to full auto

Also called ‘Group Therapy’ or ‘Happy’ switch.

Several years ago at the Dallas Market Hall show two, for lack of a better term, inbreds walked up to the table, handled the Romanian AK with the thumbhole stock, then one of then got rear close to the dealer like he was going to whisper in his ear and said, "Does it have Da Switch on it?".

1. The inbreds thought that every AK sold in America was capable of fully automatic fire with the flip of da switch.
2. The inbreds had no idea of the NFA process, Tax Stamps, etc. and thought they could buy a full auto AK on a standard 4473.
3. The inbreds thought they could own a full auto transferable AK for 600 bucks.

They were the perfect combination of ignorant and just plain stupid.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: Normanpig

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 12:47 AM

Lost them all in a boating accident......

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Because gravity acts on ALL bullets once they leave the barrel, the path of any bullet (or projectile for that matter) that's aimed at a distant target must follow an arch where it rises for some distance before descending towards the target. For this reason, when a rifle is sighted, the barrel is pointing upwards by some measure so the bullet can reach a distant target.

Here's a lesson I remember learning back in high school Physics class. Assume you could create a setup where a bullet can be fired through a vacuum. The bullet is fired horizontally with the ground and the ground has no arch. If you could hold an identical bullet at the same height as the barrel and drop it at the same instant the bullet leaves the barrel, BOTH bullets would impact the ground at the same time.

Just got started.

And it is already time for you to stop.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 01:45 AM

Tack Driver

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 03:01 AM

DRT
Dirt nap
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 03:36 AM

I kinda like dirt nap
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 03:41 AM

It shoots lights out

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 03:58 AM

"Smooth as Butter"...how smooth is butter?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Just got started.

roflmao Yep

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 12:54 PM

Most of this is TBH speak.
Posted By: pdugas

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 01:34 PM

Brush Buster

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 01:39 PM

I suggest you get a stick or tub out and rub your finger on it.... its pretty damn smooth!

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 01:41 PM

I suggest you get a stick or tub out and rub your finger on it.... its pretty damn smooth!

It's disturbing you would suggest this... roflmao

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 02:27 PM

Hey you asked, go straight to the source.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Do I need another gun ??
Posted By: janie

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 03:34 PM

It is, but also funny as hell! roflmao

Back on topic. Clips and "kick back" damn near send me over the edge.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 05:05 PM

And "toad."
Posted By: Gw123

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 05:06 PM

When people say “I smoked ‘em” or “I drilled ‘em” then when people name deer, specifically “blade(s)” or “dagger(s)”. These have always gotten under my skin for some reason

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by janie

It is, but also funny as hell! roflmao

Back on topic. Clips and "kick back" damn near send me over the edge.

100%...kick is goofy!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 05:28 PM

I don't miss.

http://www.instinctshooting-quickkill.com/pages/method.html
Posted By: TLew

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 05:39 PM

Most of these on here don't bug me, but "clip" drives me up the wall
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by TLew

I'm with you, so far none of these bother me at all except the clip/mag thing.

I actually just used the smooth as butter term when describing my new 2011 slide/frame fit.

Some of yall need to lighten up Francis

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 05:56 PM

"smooth as KY" hate this term

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
"smooth as KY" hate this term

rofl

Yea... I'm not too fond of it either.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

can't stand this.

Ha! I'm "that guy." I say that a lot..not really sure where I picked it up, maybe shooting comps.

The mag/clip thing is kinda annoying but other than that, most gun terms don't bother me as long as I know what they are referring to.

Because this is ultimately a hunting forum I will say that when people substitute the term "harvest" for "kill" I cringe..drives me crazy.

Posted By: Just J

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 06:51 PM

"down the tube"

i.e. "how many rounds down the tube"

Makes you sound like a gun expert and everyone knows a rifle with only 473 rounds down the tube will last longer than one with 567 down the tube just common sense haha

the AK and the in-breds story takes the cake though
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 07:16 PM

That's just as bad as "cut 'em!" when waterfowl hunting. Is in: when a flock of Ducks swoop in, the guide yells "cut em"! Do I throw my knife at 'em?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by TLew

I'm with you, so far none of these bother me at all except the clip/mag thing.

I actually just used the smooth as butter term when describing my new 2011 slide/frame fit.

Some of yall need to lighten up Francis

roflmao
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 07:41 PM

I’m good with whatever but when someone says the word CLIP instead of mag I think that persons not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

I kinda like dirt nap

I prefer "lead poison" myself.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 09:15 PM

Is that anything like pulling a greasy ____ out of a bucket of lard?

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 09:18 PM

Just got started.

So I guess it shouldn't even try to explain how a feather and bowling ball can be dropped from the same height in a vacuum and both of them impact the ground at the same time.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Sendit.

I'm guilty of this when I'm on a spotting scope calling wind, or sometimes lack thereof, for a shooter who's on a target 1500 yards away.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 10:01 PM

Just got started.

So I guess it shouldn't even try to explain how a feather and bowling ball can be dropped from the same height in a vacuum and both of them impact the ground at the same time.

Yeah, I don't know what JG is on about. All this is factual.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 10:03 PM

Clip bothers me none at all, but "MOA all day long" is annoying cause I know the person saying it didn't do it. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast; frosty, and sandbox, are all on the annoying list as well, but i really don't worry any of it, just sometimes chuckle

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by RJH1
Clip bothers me none at all, but "MOA all day long" is annoying cause I know the person saying it didn't do it. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast; frosty, and sandbox, are all on the annoying list as well, but i really don't worry any of it, just sometimes chuckle

This is true. A lot of targets with very tight groups are often shared here with no reference whatsoever as to the setup that produced them. You can sandbag the heck out just about any rifle and get some excellent groups. However, try achieving the same accuracy with only a forearm rest or no rest at all.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 11:49 PM

This is true. A lot of targets with very tight groups are often shared here with no reference whatsoever as to the setup that produced them. You can sandbag the heck out just about any rifle and get some excellent groups. However, try achieving the same accuracy with only a forearm rest or no rest at all.

Most of the groups I've seen posted are demonstrating the accuracy of the rifle/load, not the shooter. If that's the intent, taking as much of the shooter out of the equation as possible is exactly what you're supposed to do.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/03/20 11:56 PM

Sounds like most get annoyed by clip rather than mag. We've had this thread before and same results. I still like Judd's response better than most.
People call it a clip likely because of the M1 clip Papa shot Japs with. Lack of knowledge of a topic is nothing to get twisted about. I'd bet I can school 90% of you on racing motocross or bikes in general, but who cares? You can school me on other topics and we shouldn't talk chit (most of my posts consist of this) because we use improper terminology. I don't know what I don't know.

Starting to sound like a hen house in here.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 12:01 AM

Calling cases "casings" is number one.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 12:19 AM

The size of the grouping
Posted By: maximum

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 12:19 AM

When folks talk like they just stepped off the
chopper from their seal team/special forces
mission, usually dressed like it, then can't kill
a deer, or make a bad hit at 75 yards, then can't
find it or trail it

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 12:44 AM

bughole

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 02:07 AM

Sounds like most get annoyed by clip rather than mag. We've had this thread before and same results. I still like Judd's response better than most.
People call it a clip likely because of the M1 clip Papa shot Japs with. Lack of knowledge of a topic is nothing to get twisted about. I'd bet I can school 90% of you on racing motocross or bikes in general, but who cares? You can school me on other topics and we shouldn't talk chit (most of my posts consist of this) because we use improper terminology. I don't know what I don't know.

^^^^This is pretty much what i already said. Im going to go out on a limb and let yall make fun of me if you want by saying that I grew up in the 60s and whoever I was around called it a "clip." Ive gone my whole life without knowing any better until I got on this forum and yall educated me. I hope thats not a question I get asked at the Pearly Gates like yall imply it may be. As far all the other terms, I dont think Ive ever used any of them except "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" and I think it is some of the best advise that can be given.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by freerange

^^^^This is pretty much what i already said. Im going to go out on a limb and let yall make fun of me if you want by saying that I grew up in the 60s and whoever I was around called it a "clip." Ive gone my whole life without knowing any better until I got on this forum and yall educated me. I hope thats not a question I get asked at the Pearly Gates like yall imply it may be. As far all the other terms, I dont think Ive ever used any of them except "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" and I think it is some of the best advise that can be given.

Slow is slow.

The end.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 02:36 AM

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

My reloads

Impact

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 02:37 AM

Well I could school you on clicking a mouse so.... I think I win.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 01:14 PM

Well I could school you on clicking a mouse so.... I think I win.

flehan
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 02:08 PM

Tikka smooth.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 02:29 PM

The thing that gets me on the magazine/clip thing is IF you stoop so low to call it a clip... everybody knows exactly what your are talking about. If you walk into cabelas/academy/BPS etc. and say I need a "clip" for my ruger 10/22 there is a zero percent chance they are not going to understand what you want. To me enough people know it as a clip that its a legit term, legit enough for me. I will say i only call them magazines on here to not start a sh!+ show, but in my personal life its a clip and nobody is confused or buthurt about it... ever.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 02:46 PM

I got a new shillings tube spun up on my tactical Remmy smoke pole piece in six five the other day. I was loading my reloads in the clip, they're the new hornadays with the sweet bullet tips. I was getting ready to run my rig to do barrel break in. The spotter told me to sendit. Impact! I was shooting bugholes, sub MOA all day long. The dude beside me with the assault rifle with a silencer on it was very impressed by the way I was compensating for the bullet rise. He had a cool gat on his hip.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 03:01 PM

The thing that gets me on the magazine/clip thing is IF you stoop so low to call it a clip... everybody knows exactly what your are talking about. If you walk into cabelas/academy/BPS etc. and say I need a "clip" for my ruger 10/22 there is a zero percent chance they are not going to understand what you want. To me enough people know it as a clip that its a legit term, legit enough for me. I will say i only call them magazines on here to not start a sh!+ show, but in my personal life its a clip and nobody is confused or buthurt about it... ever.

Well you are doing it wrong!

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by 68A
I got a new shillings tube spun up on my tactical Remmy smoke pole piece in six five the other day. I was loading my reloads in the clip, they're the new hornadays with the sweet bullet tips. I was getting ready to run my rig to do barrel break in. The spotter told me to sendit. Impact! I was shooting bugholes, sub MOA all day long. The dude beside me with the assault rifle with a silencer on it was very impressed by the way I was compensating for the bullet rise. He had a cool gat on his hip.

Nice! You probably just made half the guys on this forum eyes twitch reading that.

up

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 05:13 PM

Red, I’m backing you on this one.
And 68A wrote the perfect country and western song. But he didn’t say anything at all about butter, or big bore or da switch.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 05:36 PM

According to who? Someone on the internet? I never have issues with it in the daily life I live every day, so I will keep on keeping on. Its a point people argue just to have something to argue about, I'll just let you argue with yourself.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by freerange

Red, I’m backing you on this one.
And 68A wrote the perfect country and western song. But he didn’t say anything at all about butter, or big bore or da switch.

cheers

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 05:50 PM

According to who? Someone on the internet? I never have issues with it in the daily life I live every day, so I will keep on keeping on. Its a point people argue just to have something to argue about, I'll just let you argue with yourself.

Gun manuals?
Dictionary?
Common Gun Knowledge?

If you know the difference between a gun clip and a gun magazine but you continue to use the wrong term, well then yea you're doing it wrong.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 05:58 PM

Do what you want, I don't care if you make yourself look like you have no clue what your talking about.

And what Kyle said above!

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 06:01 PM

Gun manuals?
Dictionary?
Common Gun Knowledge?

If you know the difference between a gun clip and a gun magazine but you continue to use the wrong term, well then yea you're doing it wrong.

In my world, common gun knowledge calls it a clip. That is why many people do it. I know what you mean when you say magazine and you dang well know what i mean when i say clip.

Search for a "Clip" on the computer and what do you get? Lets see...
[Linked Image]

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 06:17 PM

Gun manuals?
Dictionary?
Common Gun Knowledge?

In my world, common gun knowledge calls it a clip. That is why many people do it. I know what you mean when you say magazine and you dang well know what i mean when i say clip.

[Linked Image]

Educate yourself so you don't look like a fool.

Clip or Magazine

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 06:24 PM

I am educated. And the clip/magazine Nazi's are the ones who look like fools.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 06:30 PM

I am educated. And the clip/magazine Nazi's are the ones who look like fools.

You obviously did not read the link...educated? Not so much. Magazine and Clip are CLEARLY defined.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 06:51 PM

I did look at the link. It is nothing new. I was raised calling them a clip. I will call it a clip till it doesnt work for me.

I wont pretend to be the smartest man alive, but im far from uneducated. Have fun with how much it bothers you that i call it a clip and its generally accepted everywhere.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 07:05 PM

You do know they put in "keywords" for search terms for items right. They know people will likely not know the correct term so they put "clip" as a keyword for online items. If you click on any of those links I bet they actually pop up as magazine on the product page, not clip.

I'm not trying to be a nazi about it, I just don't understand why you'd use the wrong term when you know the correct term. They're two different things. Just because you "grew up on it", doesn't make it correct.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 07:18 PM

"that i call it a clip and its generally accepted everywhere"

And I roll my eyes and think...wow, just another "bubba booger picker"

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 07:25 PM

Are you a child? yep im an uneducated bubba booger picker lol

You know that jack rabbits aren't rabbits right? Doesn't stop folks, outside of text books and animal documentaries, from calling them jack rabbits now does it.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 07:48 PM

You know that jack rabbits aren't rabbits right? Doesn't stop folks, outside of text books and animal documentaries, from calling them jack rabbits now does it.

lol35
Posted By: Jet1902

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 07:52 PM

popcorn

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 08:15 PM

chicken
like I said, hen house
chicken
This thread should have been locked after 68A's post.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 08:23 PM

Gun manuals?
Dictionary?
Common Gun Knowledge?

[Linked Image]

The fact that they gave up and decided to market to the ignorant doesn’t make it right.

I’m occasionally guilty of calling it a clip too. I’m only self righteous about it when I say it right.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 09:44 PM

Red you better quit while your behind.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 10:15 PM

Those who don't know the difference between caliber & cartridge.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 10:17 PM

I'll jump in on Red's behalf. According to Webster, the terms are interchangeable:

a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
Posted By: Just J

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 10:18 PM

I read on some website page, gun expert page probably that Pronghorn antelope are not antelope theyre in te goat family, not that I give a $#It just sayin

My next pet peeve is "build"

Bubba pins an upper receiver to a lower receiver puts a carbine stock on an AR rifle and calls it a build and can claim himself as a gun builder!

Its a build LOL
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 10:45 PM

I agree the "clip vs. magazine" thing is annoying. As long as we can communicate all is well. A "magazine" can also be a 210,000 square foot building full of ammunition.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/04/20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
A "magazine" can also be a building or bunker full of ammunition.

Yep, worked in many during my time in the military. Modified slightly.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/05/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
A "magazine" can also be a building or bunker full of ammunition.

Yep, worked in many during my time in the military. Modified slightly.

Also, the area inside a ship used to store ammunition.

Someone may have already noted it but "clip" was probably a holdover from the time when cartridges were connected to a metal strip so they could inserted into the rifle's magazine all at once. Although not technically correct, I could see where some might continue to use the term to identify anything that holds multiple cartridges for the same purpose.

Still, just to split hairs, the magazine is actually that part of the rifle that holds cartridges, such as the tubular magazine on a 30-30. The magazine in my Remington Model 700 and Winchester Model 70 are built inside the stock. The more accurate term for what many call a magazine today might actually be an "external magazine".

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/05/20 11:13 AM

There is already a more accurate term.....detachable magazine.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/05/20 01:07 PM

Yes, Sir.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/05/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Marc K

Yes, Sir.

Yep, Judd still got this one

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/05/20 02:27 PM

I just laugh more at people thoughts on lethal ability.

I once heard a 410 was no more then a pop gun

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/05/20 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I just laugh more at people thoughts on lethal ability.

I once heard a 410 was no more then a pop gun

Yep and the kids growing up that had 22 wars because a 22 at 100 yards wouldnt even break the skin etc.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/05/20 06:19 PM

There is already a more accurate term.....detachable magazine.

Agreed.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/06/20 12:59 AM

Calling a magazine a clip!

bang
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/06/20 01:01 PM

In 1964 the Sergeant called it a clip. I still do.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/06/20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

In 1964 you were probably still shooting Garand rifles which use a "clip".

M1 Manual

If you were using M14s then they use a magazine.

M14 Manual
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/06/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

In 1964 you were probably still shooting Garand rifles which use a "clip".

M1 Manual

If you were using M14s then they use a magazine.

M14 Manual

Debait tis all in d spelling...
flag
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/06/20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Reloder28

THIS. "What should my next caliber be?" Then you see 300wsm, 300PRC, 300wm, 30NOS all listed....

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by duckhunter175

THIS. "What should my next caliber be?" Then you see 300wsm, 300PRC, 300wm, 30NOS all listed....

What is engraved on the side of a rifle barrel? Never had anyone ask me what "cartridge" rifle I'm shooting. Cartridges for a given caliber rifle can include bullets with different weights and design, which results in different amounts of powder behind them. The only parameter that doesn't change with any given cartridge in a given caliber is the diameter of the bullet. I suspect that's why few people use the term "cartridge" when referencing a given rifle or the ammo for it. Quote the caliber and you safely identify the rifle.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 01:41 AM

A quick google search shows that Ruger, tikka, glock, and winchester list their guns by caliber. As in caliber 6.5 CM, 9 luger, 308 winchester, 45 acp, 7mm rem mag, etc. So it appears that interchanging cartridge with caliber is widely accepted by the people who make the guns. After checking those 4 companies i quit looking, so there might be other gun companies that list their guns by cartridge and not caliber, but in my quick search it was 100% caliber. So don't get too uppity LOL

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 01:59 AM

What is engraved on the side of a rifle barrel? Never had anyone ask me what "cartridge" rifle I'm shooting. Cartridges for a given caliber rifle can include bullets with different weights and design, which results in different amounts of powder behind them. The only parameter that doesn't change with any given cartridge in a given caliber is the diameter of the bullet. I suspect that's why few people use the term "cartridge" when referencing a given rifle or the ammo for it. Quote the caliber and you safely identify the rifle.

Dan that’s a dangerous statement. Quote the caliber and you can get in trouble. A .30 caliber could be anything with a .30 caliber bullet. 30-30 Winchester, .308 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield,.300 Warbird, etc etc. I think you’re thinking backwards. Or the truth of it is most people are wrong. Caliber ONLY denotes the diameter of the bullet. Cartridge is the complete package that you can find in SAAMI specs.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by wp75169

Dan that’s a dangerous statement. Quote the caliber and you can get in trouble. A .30 caliber could be anything with a .30 caliber bullet. 30-30 Winchester, .308 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield,.300 Warbird, etc etc. I think you’re thinking backwards. Or the truth of it is most people are wrong. Caliber ONLY denotes the diameter of the bullet. Cartridge is the complete package that you can find in SAAMI specs.

Your point is well taken. Thankfully, it appears the industry has long since adopted a standard where caliber designations may include other parameters that make it unique. Perhaps someone more well-versed can explain how this combination of bullet diameter and other parameter (30-06 for example) came into existence. In some cases, it's the company that developed the cartridge that gets tagged when referencing the caliber. Granted, the lines between cartridge and caliber can get lost in everyday slang. I mean, how many times do you hear someone say they own a rifle chambered in .270 Winchester? 99.9% of the time the word "Winchester" is dropped.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 02:20 AM

Caliber ONLY denotes the diameter of the bullet. Cartridge is the complete package that you can find in SAAMI specs.

While i don't technically disagree with you, why do at least the 4 gun companies i listed above show their guns in a certain "caliber" such 7 rem mag, 6.5 cm, etc?

None of the ones i listed, listed their rifles by cartridge, but by caliber. And not the bore size, but the cartridge name.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 02:26 AM

Hell, even APR list guns in caliber 28 nosler, etc......

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 02:26 AM

Caliber ONLY denotes the diameter of the bullet. Cartridge is the complete package that you can find in SAAMI specs.

While i don't technically disagree with you, why do at least the 4 gun companies i listed above show their guns in a certain "caliber" such 7 rem mag, 6.5 cm, etc?

None of the ones i listed, listed their rifles by cartridge, but by caliber. And not the bore size, but the cartridge name.

No question, it's the Marketing folks who take such things most seriously. I can't remember it but there's a term that describes when a given product name is linked to everything like it. "Thermos" is a good example of this. If it holds hot coffee and you can throw it in a lunch box, you probably call it a thermos no matter who made it. And a lot of stuff is "FedEx'ed" that never sits in a FedEx truck or plane.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 02:29 AM

Colt firearms list their guns by caliber too, as the 6920 comes in caliber 223 Remington/5.56 nato....

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 02:44 AM

Maybe they are using the word that people most identify with. I am guilty of this at times as well. I was concerned about Dan saying you could safely identify a rifle based on its caliber.

Dan, I think I overlooked your question earlier. What is engraved on the side of the barrel is the cartridge. Not the caliber.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 02:48 AM

Dan, I think I overlooked your question earlier. What is engraved on the side of the barrel is the cartridge. Not the caliber.

Larry is just one of many thousands of people you need to send letters correcting them of their mistake.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 03:11 AM

The ATF in the NFA also identifies it as “caliber or gauge” in 7.4.2 which clearly supports your statement and not mine.

That’s right, I am also saying the ATF is wrong. trout

I’ll just start stamping .284 on all my barrels no matter what. I’ll let you guess what to feed it.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 03:11 AM

Larry is just one of many thousands of people you need to send letters correcting them of their mistake.

Smartest man in the room on the topic has spoken trout
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 04:58 PM

Texas Dan made my point is spades-- what makes me shake my head is folks not knowing the difference and the point of this thread is our own opinion. Those two words have different definitions and standards of measurement.

Cartridge is the specifically formed brass case, caliber is the bore diameter-- you can have many cartridges within a specific caliber but not the other way around. There's a difference and the gun companies still have to sell guns and they'll do it whether you say caliber or cartridge or magazine or clip.

It does get down to common usage but it doesn't mean that it can't be annoying... or humorous-- case in point when I was recently at Scheels and folks had bought all the 6mm "caliber" ammo.... and will probably be disappointed when that 6mm REM ammo doesn't work so well in their 6CM.

Same reason stores had to put big [censored] signs on reloading components stating "THESE ARE BULLETS ONLY"

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 05:57 PM

Just because millions of people are doing something wrong, does not make it right.

Democrat voters are a great example of this.

Calibers:
.243 (6mm)
.264 (6.5mm)
.284 (7mm)

Of course there are more. But hundreds of cartridges fit on that list of calibers.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 07:59 PM

Texas Dan made my point is spades-- what makes me shake my head is folks not knowing the difference and the point of this thread is our own opinion. Those two words have different definitions and standards of measurement.

Cartridge is the specifically formed brass case, caliber is the bore diameter-- you can have many cartridges within a specific caliber but not the other way around. There's a difference and the gun companies still have to sell guns and they'll do it whether you say caliber or cartridge or magazine or clip.

It does get down to common usage but it doesn't mean that it can't be annoying... or humorous-- case in point when I was recently at Scheels and folks had bought all the 6mm "caliber" ammo.... and will probably be disappointed when that 6mm REM ammo doesn't work so well in their 6CM.

Same reason stores had to put big [censored] signs on reloading components stating "THESE ARE BULLETS ONLY"

I hear you. However, we often see cases where manufacturers and customers come to agreement on industry "jargon" that's used to identify specific products. You go into a store and ask the guy behind the counter, "Do you have any 9mm ammo?" You need say nothing more for him to know what you want. Of course, today we all know his/her answer will likely be "No" for reasons we need not discuss. Of course there are exceptions, and in the case of the 6mm ammo you mentioned earlier. Still, that doesn't negate how the caliber is usually all you need to reference when looking for a cartridge that fits your firearm. From there it's matter of the design, construction, and weight of the bullet, going with whatever load your rifle likes best.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 08:08 PM

The answer would or should be 9x19 or 9x18. Lots of Tarkov’s still out here in Texas.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 08:39 PM

I hear you. However, we often see cases where manufacturers and customers come to agreement on industry "jargon" that's used to identify specific products. You go into a store and ask the guy behind the counter, "Do you have any 9mm ammo?" You need say nothing more for him to know what you want. Of course, today we all know his/her answer will likely be "No" for reasons we need not discuss. Of course there are exceptions, and in the case of the 6mm ammo you mentioned earlier. Still, that doesn't negate how the caliber is usually all you need to reference when looking for a cartridge that fits your firearm. From there it's matter of the design, construction, and weight of the bullet, going with whatever load your rifle likes best.

I agree it's an accepted jargon thing for the most part, and if you ask for 9mm, 40, or 45 ammo you'll likely get the right thing. However, if the customer doesn't check to make sure he got the right thing he's a fool. The guy at the counter is also a fool if someone asks for 7mm ammo and he doesn't confirm what the customer actually wants. It could be 7mm-08, 7mm Rem. Mag., 7mm WSM, etc.
Using caliber instead of cartridge has definitely become the norm and is generally accepted, but is it still wrong. It doesn't bother me when people do it, but it is not correct.
I actually corrected a guy at Academy a few years ago who was buying "45 ammo". I happened to overhear him talking to his buddy while he was pulling the boxes of .45 ACP off the shelf and figured out quickly that he was buying it for a Glock 37 (.45 GAP). All he knew was that he was buying 45 ammo.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 09:35 PM

This is a good thread! “Clip” does not bother me. My wife’s dad was a US Marine in the Korean conflict. He asked me to replace the hinged floor plate on his 700 BDL 30-06 so he could carry an “extra clip” in his pocket. My response, “I’ll be glad to”.
“Slow is smooth and smooth is fast”. My dad was an army ranger in Vietnam. When he taught me to use firearms that is what he taught me. He told me it’s what the military taught him. In his prime I would wager that he could hold his own with anyone on this forum at quickly putting rounds on target with no wasted motion. He is dead now and I miss him.
Smooth is fast.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/09/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Grizz

I agree it's an accepted jargon thing for the most part, and if you ask for 9mm, 40, or 45 ammo you'll likely get the right thing. However, if the customer doesn't check to make sure he got the right thing he's a fool. The guy at the counter is also a fool if someone asks for 7mm ammo and he doesn't confirm what the customer actually wants. It could be 7mm-08, 7mm Rem. Mag., 7mm WSM, etc.

Lots of examples across many markets where terminology that isn't technically correct is common in everyday use. "Modem" is a good example in the IT world. The term is still quite common even though devices that modulate signals over analog waveforms are few and far between. They have long since been replaced with devices that only use digital signals.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/10/20 02:09 AM

Modems won’t kill you due to your ignorance.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/10/20 02:54 AM

Modems won’t kill you due to your ignorance.

Like a mag will kill me when I call it a clip? Or how a bison will kill you when you call it a buffalo?

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/10/20 12:17 PM

Depends on how the Bison identifies.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/10/20 01:06 PM

Depends on how the Bison identifies.

I'm offended you would say that. You need some sensitivity training. whip

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/10/20 01:30 PM

Perhaps I can throw out something different that people often say that's technically incorrect when speaking of firearms. It's common for someone to say they cleaned the barrel, when in fact, what they really cleaned was the bore. But again, no harm done.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/10/20 11:07 PM

Disagree, the bore is part of the barrel. Also, I don’t know anyone who cleans the bore without also giving the outside of the barrel a wipe down

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/11/20 01:47 PM

Disagree, the bore is part of the barrel. Also, I don’t know anyone who cleans the bore without also giving the outside of the barrel a wipe down

You're right, it's the outside of the barrel that usually only needs a wipe down with oil to prevent rust. It's the bore that usually needs cleaning.

aim

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/12/20 03:09 AM

The ATF in the NFA also identifies it as “caliber or gauge” in 7.4.2 which clearly supports your statement and not mine.

That’s right, I am also saying the ATF is wrong. trout

I’ll just start stamping .284 on all my barrels no matter what. I’ll let you guess what to feed it.

‘zackly!

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/12/20 03:11 AM

Just because millions of people are doing something wrong, does not make it right.

Democrat voters are a great example of this.

Calibers:
.243 (6mm)
.264 (6.5mm)
.284 (7mm)

Of course there are more. But hundreds of cartridges fit on that list of calibers.

Sho’ got that right.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/14/20 04:03 PM

Someone else may have covered this one: "high capacity magazine" to refer to anything over 10 rounds.

Back when "wonder nines" were brand new, and it was amazing to have a Glock that held 17 rounds, or a Beretta or Sig that held 15, a "standard capacity" for a typical handgun was six shots for a revolver, or 7-8 shots for a semi auto. So sure, back in the late 70's and into the 80's, anything over 10 rounds was "high capacity".

But the standard capacity magazine for an AR or AK type firearm has been 30 rounds for at least 40 years now, and they're in such common usage that it's unusual to see someone using a lower capacity one (I get odd looks when I break out one of my old 20 rounders for my AR at the range). Likewise, handguns have been sold with factory magazines ranging from 13 to 19 rounds for so many years that they too are considered standard capacity for the average gun owner, unless you live in a state which limits magazines to only 10 rounds.

Certainly, a rifle magazine holding 50-100 rounds is still "high capacity", as is a pistol magazine that holds 50+. But magazines of 15-30 rounds are sold as standard factory parts with new guns, and have been in such common, widespread use for so many years, that there is no way that they can truthfully be called "high capacity" any longer.

My 14 round pistol mags and my 30 round AR mags are all "standard capacity".
Posted By: seacam

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/15/20 12:24 AM

I’m surprised no one has said anything about what they hear coming from behind the counter at Academy or elsewhere.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/15/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by seacam
I’m surprised no one has said anything about what they hear coming from behind the counter at Academy or elsewhere.

That would definitely add a few pages.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/15/20 05:29 AM

Remmy, Mossy, Winny, Rob, Roy, Leupy, Bushy, Vortex warranty, pill, truck gun.
You can thank me later, Creedmore.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/15/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by booradley
Remmy, Mossy, Winny, Rob, Roy, Leupy, Bushy, Vortex warranty, pill, truck gun.
You can thank me later, Creedmore.

I have no problem with "truck gun." Its seems very discriptive in just a couple words. What else would you call it without using a whole sentence to describe?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/15/20 06:44 PM

Uhh ... I'm not a fan of "grainage."
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/16/20 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by seacam

Well, this was from the customer side of the counter. The poor salesman was trying to help a lady who kept calling every handgun a "Glock". I tried - I really tried - to explain that "Glock" is a brand of gun the way that "Ford" is a brand of truck.

She thought I was nuts.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/18/20 03:14 PM

Well regardless of what you over educated keyboard commandos think, my Remington 788's all have clips. It told me so in the little green book Remington put in the boxes when I bought them new.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/18/20 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by machinist
Well regardless of what you over educated keyboard commandos think, my Remington 788's all have clips. It told me so in the little green book Remington put in the boxes when I bought them new.

I’d like to see that.....take a pic for us! peep

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 12:31 AM

Remington went bankrupt, also.

It sold for only $12 million. So there's that...

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 12:38 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 12:57 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I see "Magazine" five times.

I see "click" one time.

I see "clip" zero times.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 01:05 AM

Dang, JG, you might want to count again.....I’m getting 15!

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 01:09 AM

Yep, I didn't see clip anywhere.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 02:10 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lol dayum... burn
Posted By: DeRico

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 02:39 AM

I know one day the Dems are gonna win cause gun lovers are gonna shoot each other over a “clip”

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 02:41 AM

All in fun.
Posted By: DeRico

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 02:42 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 03:44 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lol dayum... burn

Ouch that stung just a bit! LMAO
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 03:56 PM

Ok, lol444 can’t beat someone willing to put in the time for a little educated research zoro

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 04:00 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

flehan
That's good $H1+!
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/19/20 08:24 PM

clip and magazine, irk me. But I cant get my own brother to quit using clip. However, what sets my teeth on edge is when people name their rifles I, honest to God, sometimes hunt with a guy who has 2 rifles. An ar-15 named "reaper" and .33WSM named "butcher" . The worst part? He is a 45 year old man, and refers to them by name. It's not my AR, or 5.56 or even Ruger, its " I loaded up ol" Reaper and sent a few pills down range, and gave a couple of pigs a dirt nap" (the rest was just proof I read the whole thread grin)
Posted By: machinist

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/21/20 07:43 PM

Opp's I guess I didn't remember correctly but if its ok I will still call them clips.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/21/20 08:36 PM

Just saw another one of my pet reloading term peeves

when people call Bullets "PILLS" bang
Posted By: Big red

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/23/20 05:43 AM

For sure clip and not magazine.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 11/25/20 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
.33WSM named "butcher"

My apologies that was supposed to 300wsm

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/07/20 02:37 AM

Creedmoor
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/07/20 02:51 AM

clip and magazine, irk me. But I cant get my own brother to quit using clip. However, what sets my teeth on edge is when people name their rifles I, honest to God, sometimes hunt with a guy who has 2 rifles. An ar-15 named "reaper" and .33WSM named "butcher" . The worst part? He is a 45 year old man, and refers to them by name. It's not my AR, or 5.56 or even Ruger, its " I loaded up ol" Reaper and sent a few pills down range, and gave a couple of pigs a dirt nap" (the rest was just proof I read the whole thread grin)

Tell him he is a doosh

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/07/20 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

Tell him he is a doosh

Lol. I'm laughing because I'm the same way. People that name their rifles are douches...then...I went and named 1 of my rifles. Just one. It's the only one I'll ever name. My marlin 1895 is named "the big stick". Call me a douch. I deserve it.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/08/20 03:48 PM

Creedmore-don’t understand why it’s so hard for so many people to spell
Winny, Remmy, Annie, Bob, Roy, pill, Leupy, Bushy, Mossy
And I couldn’t tell you why.
Posted By: Capt.D

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/10/20 12:02 PM

"Bolt gun" - Does it fire Lag bolts? Carriage bolts?
"Lever gun" - Does the rifle fire bars of soap?
"Wheel gun" - Is it chambered in 15" or do you have a modern replica chambered in 22"?
I never post but these terms drive me so crazy I had to log in and add to the pile.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/11/20 06:37 PM

I found it somewhat amusing when the industry created the term "modern sporting rifle" to replace what was previously known as an AR-style firearm.
Posted By: NorthTexan

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/12/20 05:32 PM

I can put up with all the mis-identified terms people use for guns and gun parts. But I just shake my head at a salesman behind the gun counter trying to tell someone what caliber they should carry or what gun fits them best or which is better (revolver or semi). I have had so many people come through my classes with a new gun and told me the man behind the counter said these never have a problem or they told them they could handle a gun that was too large for them. I don't mind the wrong language of gun terms but these salesmen are dangerous.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/12/20 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

can't stand this.

Posted By: CatchinBass

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/12/20 06:48 PM

Clip

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/13/20 12:58 AM

I prefer the term clipazine so I know I have all my bases covered.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/13/20 03:10 PM

6.5 Man Bun
6.5 Speedmore

These are already worn out jeez

Clipazine settles that fight....Thanks T Cowboy !!
Posted By: Jsarmory

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/16/20 11:40 PM

Deers
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/17/20 12:47 AM

I found it somewhat amusing when the industry created the term "modern sporting rifle" to replace what was previously known as an AR-style firearm.

Do you not see the reason or benefit to shifting the narrative?

Marc
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/17/20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

Tell him he is a doosh

Lol. I'm laughing because I'm the same way. People that name their rifles are douches...then...I went and named 1 of my rifles. Just one. It's the only one I'll ever name. My marlin 1895 is named "the big stick". Call me a douch. I deserve it.

You can't name a rifle, it has to name itself.
The only one I have that's been named is my 220 Swift. Went on an MLD hunt on a ranch that needed about 80 more does shot. I killed 7, all head shots, and the old ranchhand that came around in the flatbed to load us up said "That's a dandy little doe snatcher you got there." Now my Swift gets called The Doe Snatcher.
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/18/20 03:30 AM

The one that trips my trigger “what platform are you running”
Posted By: maximum

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/18/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pupjoint
The one that trips my trigger “what platform are you running”

Yeah exactly. If you run on a platform, you can fall off and be severely injured
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/18/20 01:10 PM

Remmy, Mossy, Winny, Rob, Roy, Leupy, Bushy...

I'll also infer that Swaro was erroneously left off.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/18/20 01:11 PM

While I agree with Judd and any others who said they don't care how somebody else talks, words matter. I'll correct misuse of important words, yet likely not comment on obnoxious slang though I am certainly judging you.

Re: Which shooting/gun "term" makes you shake your head "no"? - 12/20/20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
Remmy, Mossy, Winny, Rob, Roy, Leupy, Bushy...

I'll also infer that Swaro was erroneously left off.

Yes, my bad.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum