Texas Hunting Forum

Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions

Posted By: cbump

Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 11:51 AM

What are your thoughts on these revolver manufacturers?
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 12:03 PM

Cimarron isn't a manufacturer. It is an importer of Uberti and Pietta firearms. Uberti used to be the top of the heap but Pietta has really come a long way in catching up. I've had tons of both. The last four Cimarrons I have purchased have all been Piettas because their fit and finish have been better than Ubertis. Here are a couple of my Piettas. Someone will come along and say they only buy Rugers. Well, good for them. bang

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 12:08 PM

That second one is pretty much exactly what I’m looking for.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 12:11 PM

Looking for a one of these to go with a lever action rifle for a gift for the wife’s bday.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by cbump
Looking for a one of these to go with a lever action rifle for a gift for the wife’s bday.

The second one is a Traditions Pietta. It was the first Traditions firearm I have owned and I was impressed. Bud's Guns has a ton of Cimarrons in stock.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 12:18 PM

I appreciate it. Not knowing anything about wheel guns, I didn’t know if these were cheapos to stay away from or not.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 12:28 PM

Are these similar in size and weight as a Colt?

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Yes sir. The first one even has the Colt "blackpowder frame" that all Colts had until 1896. You can tell because the cylinder retraining pin is on the forward part of the frame. This one is in 45 Colt (of course).

Here is another Cimarron Pietta. I do like Rugers and have plenty but they don't mimic the old Colts, nor are they supposed to.

[Linked Image]

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

Yes sir. The first one even has the Colt "blackpowder frame" that all Colts had until 1896. You can tell because the cylinder retraining pin is on the forward part of the frame. This one is in 45 Colt (of course).

I'm a Ruger fan but I just can't get used to the size and weight of the Vaquero. Colt's just have a different feel to them. There's allot to be said about a good fixed sight single action, about the only thing that can go wrong is if you damage the front sight. Shoot it enough to know where it prints and you don't need adjustable sights.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 12:58 PM

I'm a Ruger fan but I just can't get used to the size and weight of the Vaquero. Colt's just have a different feel to them. There's allot to be said about a good fixed sight single action, about the only thing that can go wrong is if you damage the front sight. Shoot it enough to know where it prints and you don't need adjustable sights.

Yeah, I'm a huge Ruger fan too and consider them the proper tool for hunting. My replicas are just fun guns to own and you are absolutely right about fixed sights.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 01:44 PM

The Ruger New Vaquero tries to mimic the SAA but it just doesn’t get it done. The Uberti and Pietta are true to Colts form and function and are a pleasure to shoot. We did break a Pietta fanning it but that was abuse and not recommended by anyone. A friend of mine just bought the Cimmeron/Uberti Doc Holiday and it’s a very impressive pistol, fit and finish are good and it was surprisingly accurate for a 3.5” birdshead.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 03:16 PM

Since it’s for your wife you might want to look at
the Cimarron Model P Jr. Have one in 38 spl and
really like it.
Posted By: Graycard

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 03:36 PM

One nice thing about Rugers is you can modify them and give them some heavy use without worry of destroying their value.
[Linked Image]
However, the Uberti and Pietta firearms do look good!
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 04:27 PM

It’s been my observation that the uberti and pietta revolvers are better fit than rugers. They seem to have less wobble and endshake when cocked.

They won’t handle Ruger loads, but they feel a lot better.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

They won’t handle Ruger loads, but they feel a lot better.

Slight off topic but since I load for both all my Ruger loads are in nickel cases. Everything else gets brass.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 06:20 PM

What can you shoot out of the uberti and piettas?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 06:42 PM

contact Texas Jacks in Fredericksburg. they are great!

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 07:24 PM

What can you shoot out of the uberti and piettas?

Factory SAAMI loads will be just fine. As said above, just don't shoot hot Ruger Only loads. If you want to load hot then definitely go Ruger. If you are only going to be shooting milder loads the reproductions will last forever if you don't abuse them. Kind of like anything else.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by PKnTX
Since it’s for your wife you might want to look at
the Cimarron Model P Jr. Have one in 38 spl and
really like it.

You may want a full size for you wife as it is certainly the more accurate period piece.
But just thought I’d add to the pics with my Model P Jr. probably my favorite handgun
To take to the range and a pleasure to carry.
[Linked Image]

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/27/20 11:52 PM

Sweet guns in this thread.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/28/20 01:19 AM

Practical is highly overrated.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/28/20 02:04 AM

Lipsey's has a Single 7 in 327 you might find interesting. Built on a Single 6 frame. I want one! This pistol eats a wide variety of 32 ammo.

[Linked Image]

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/28/20 02:28 AM

What’s Talo exclusive?

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/28/20 02:34 AM

What’s Talo exclusive?

I think they just order a bunch of them custom built to different spec's or add custom parts.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 01:21 AM

I had every intention of getting an Uberti but I ended up going with this for her. Picking it up tomorrow. She’s going to love it.

I’m really into these type guns right now so I’m going to start collecting them I think. I’m digging the birdshead grips a lot. And the schofields. I like them all!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 01:37 AM

Good choice.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 01:56 AM

Went ahead and picked it up tonight. Thing is awesome

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 02:07 AM

Can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 03:02 AM

Any recommendations on holsters/belts?
Posted By: Earl

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 04:18 AM

Damnit man you're a Texan! There's only one option. El Paso Saddlery.

https://epsaddlery.com/

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 01:17 PM

Nice, Earl!!

Any recommendations on 38 or 357 ammo for plinking. I looked at some black hills cowboy action ammo on midway but have read the cowboy action stuff is a lot dirtier. confused2

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Earl
Damnit man you're a Texan! There's only one option. El Paso Saddlery.

https://epsaddlery.com/

I second El Paso Saddlery. My work gunleather is Kirkpatrick which is very nice. They are also Texan owned.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 01:22 PM

Nice, Earl!!

Any recommendations on 38 or 357 ammo for plinking. I looked at some black hills cowboy action ammo on midway but have read the cowboy action stuff is a lot dirtier. confused2

You don't have to shoot cowboy action ammo in that Ruger. Just go buy some ammo and see what it likes. You're overthinking this.

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 02:22 PM

Nice, Earl!!

You don't have to shoot cowboy action ammo in that Ruger. Just go buy some ammo and see what it likes. You're overthinking this.

It’s for my wife so i didn’t want to get anything too stout.
She’s good with a .40 glock 22 at work though so I’m sure anything is fine.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 02:25 PM

That's actually a Bisley grip, which you will love. It helps recoil. Great looking gun.

Are you looking for "Cowboy" style leather ? Looks like you have the "all around" holster covered.

I'm a fan of Rob Longnecker at Tucker Gunleather. Great stuff !!! In Texas of course

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
That's actually a Bisley grip, which you will love. It helps recoil. Great looking gun.

Are you looking for "Cowboy" style leather ? Looks like you have the "all around" holster covered.

I'm a fan of Rob Longnecker at Tucker Gunleather. Great stuff !!! In Texas of course

Yessir. This will strictly be a play gun. I think she’d love some cowboy style leather. Getting her a lever gun to go with it. She’s wanted a 30-30 a while. Maybe that new deluxe 94.
Hardest part is going to be hiding this stuff away until her bday in November.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor, Traditions - 05/29/20 03:06 PM

I have a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt. Big loop and you only have one ammo to carry.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum