Texas Hunting Forum

Elk rifle help

Posted By: aggiegolfer09

Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:13 PM

I plan on going on an elk hunt in the next few years. Currently my 2 biggest calibers are 7mm-08 and 6.5 CM. I am thinking about getting a new Tikka in 7mm, 300 WSM or 300 win. Would all those work pretty well or any I should avoid? I dont plan on taking a shot of more than 400 or 500 yards max.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by aggiegolfer09
I plan on going on an elk hunt in the next few years. Currently my 2 biggest calibers are 7mm-08 and 6.5 CM. I am thinking about getting a new Tikka in 7mm, 300 WSM or 300 win. Would all those work pretty well or any I should avoid? I dont plan on taking a shot of more than 400 or 500 yards max.

If you get a Tikka get a 300 wsm and then bring either 6.5 or 7/08 as back up, with that said I personally would have zero issue taking an elk under 400 yards with with the 7/08 or CM. Over that better calibers with more retained energy
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:21 PM

a 7mm-08 will kill an elk at a reasonable distance with a good bullet like a 140 grain accubond.

A better elk caliber is a .300 magnum of any flavor with a 180 grain bullet like a partition or Accubond.

400 yards Is a long way to shoot but in certain situations you could stretch a shot that far. 500 yards is pretty dang far even on a elk and I would avoid that shot on an animal even if you are a experienced target shooter. Too many factors come into play at that range.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:23 PM

Tikka in 7mm, 300 WSM or 300 win. Would all those work pretty well or any I should avoid? I dont plan on taking a shot of more than 400 or 500 yards max.

7 Rem Mag if it'll stabilize 180's

.300 Win Mag makes more speed, than the short mag. I loaded for a friend's Tikka .300 Win Mag with 210 gr Berger VLD-Hunting. He sends me pics every time he puts something down with it, loves it!

I'm not trying to sell you on a Berger. I'm trying to sell you on a 7 Rem Mag with 180's (what I use) or a .300 Win Mag with 200 gr, or heavier bullets. Just in case you need to make that +400 yard shot, you brought enough gun.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:25 PM

I’m personally not a WSM fan but any of the three will get the job done. 7 mag I’d shoot 180s, 300, would be 200 plus.

I’ve never Elk hunted or even pretended too so take it for what it’s worth.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:26 PM

I guess I type too slow, lol.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Tikka in 7mm, 300 WSM or 300 win. Would all those work pretty well or any I should avoid? I dont plan on taking a shot of more than 400 or 500 yards max.

.300 Win Mag makes more speed, than the short mag. I loaded for a friend's Tikka .300 Win Mag with 210 gr Berger VLD-Hunting. He sends me pics every time he puts something down with it, loves it!

I'm not trying to sell you on a Berger. I'm trying to sell you on a 7 Rem Mag with 180's (what I use) or a .300 Win Mag with 200 gr, or heavier bullets. Just in case you need to make that +400 yard shot, you brought enough gun.

Do you ha e to change out the bottom metal to shoot 210’s?
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:37 PM

I was in a very similar position and opted to do a 7mag
Got a Tikka superlight and dropped into a McMillan carbon stock
it shoots several loads to the same point of impact at 100 yards, obviously at distance there is going to be a difference between different loads

I really can't tell the difference in recoil between 162g Hornady ELDX and Black Hills 175 ELDX
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:43 PM

I'd go with a .300 wm or .300 wsm.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Don't have to, but I did change his.

Even then, the free bore in the Tikka barrel is so long that I had to jump those 210's like 100 thousandths. Still got it running very well with the right powder charge.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 05:17 PM

All the calibers listed above will work well. The advantage to the Tikka's are their light weight. The negative to the Tikka's is their light weight, when it comes to recoil. So the magnum's will have heavy recoil, but manageable. A 280 Rem, 30-06, 270 Win, and the other WSM's would work well also. Figure out which bullet you want to shoot, and how fast you want that bullet going, and work your caliber choice backwards from that info. That's generally what I do.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 05:25 PM

you buy a big, heavy rifle to shoot at long range, you will have to pack a big, heavy rifle around in the mountains too, remember that

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 05:57 PM

I plan on shooting with a suppressor so that will help with the recoil some. I would like to take my 7-08 since it’s cut down to 18 inch barrel and light weight but worried it might be enough knock down power
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 06:06 PM

I bought a 300 wby in anticipation of an elk hunt several years ago. Im closer to actually doing the hunting part of it now. I have a 7mm08, 270, 30-06, and the 300 wby. If I take the 300 on the hunt it will be only because that is the reason I bought it. I have no doubt what so ever in the ability of 7mm08-3006 ability to get the job done.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 06:18 PM

47000 posts an first time I recall u ASKING a question. that's not a cut at all

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by freerange

47000 posts an first time I recall u ASKING a question. that's not a cut at all

Tikka isn’t my forte’, but thinking about a new 300 for an up north hunt.
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 06:44 PM

Where are you planning to elk hunt? Deep timber? Open areas? Mid-level elevation? High elevation?

It is easier to get by with a "smaller" caliber, such as the 7mm-08, in timber than in wide open spaces where you may have to shoot 500 yards or longer. While your first shot may be at X yards, your follow up shot may be at Y yards. Ensure that your cartridge sill has enough oomph at Y distance to still reliably expand and penetrate.

Your overall rifle/scope weight may not matter all that much in rolling terrain at 5-7K feet but will matter if chasing elk in 9K+ feet.

I personally recommend shooting the most "powerful" cartridge that you shoot very well. I'm partial to the 300 Win Mag but I am biased: T3X in 300 Win Mag that shoots 190 gr Bergers and flat out kills stuff.
Posted By: killen

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 06:57 PM

300 RUM
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
All the calibers listed above will work well. The advantage to the Tikka's are their light weight. The negative to the Tikka's is their light weight, when it comes to recoil. So the magnum's will have heavy recoil, but manageable. A 280 Rem, 30-06, 270 Win, and the other WSM's would work well also. Figure out which bullet you want to shoot, and how fast you want that bullet going, and work your caliber choice backwards from that info. That's generally what I do.

X2. My choice would be the Rem. 280 or 30-06. You might want to consider physical condition. A 10-12+ lb rifle at 8-10k elevation can be a millstone around your neck, especially for us flatlanders. Even the LW TIKKAS WILL GET HEAVY.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 07:23 PM

Once you nail down a caliber got to Scheels to get your hands on a few. I've never seen a place with that depth of selection. You don't have to wait on someone behind a counter to hand it to you, they're right there to get a hold of. You don't have to buy there, but you can definitely get a hands on feel of the fit, weight and balance of a lot of great rifles.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 07:23 PM

300 wsm or 300 WM with a 215 Berger hybrid.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 08:04 PM

OP, for the calibers you asked about for elk:
Any of the 300’s are outstanding. So is a 7RM.
In the 30 cal. I would be shooting something like a 180 partition or Accubond.
In the 7 RM I would be shooting either a 160 partition or Accubond or possibly a 175 partition.
For an elk hunting round, look at proven terminal performance. Choose a tough projectile for elk that will hold together and drive through heavy bone and penetrate.
Enjoy setting up your Elk rifle.
Posted By: cbump

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Once you nail down a caliber got to Scheels to get your hands on a few. I've never seen a place with that depth of selection. You don't have to wait on someone behind a counter to hand it to you, they're right there to get a hold of. You don't have to buy there, but you can definitely get a hands on feel of the fit, weight and balance of a lot of great rifles.

This the place in the colony?
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 09:09 PM

There os a real nice remington 700 bdl with detachable mag in the classifieds, 300 win mag, with a vx-3 4-14 on it. If I were looking for an elk rifle that is what I would get, and fast, before it is gone

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000
Where are you planning to elk hunt? Deep timber? Open areas? Mid-level elevation? High elevation?

It is easier to get by with a "smaller" caliber, such as the 7mm-08, in timber than in wide open spaces where you may have to shoot 500 yards or longer. While your first shot may be at X yards, your follow up shot may be at Y yards. Ensure that your cartridge sill has enough oomph at Y distance to still reliably expand and penetrate.

Your overall rifle/scope weight may not matter all that much in rolling terrain at 5-7K feet but will matter if chasing elk in 9K+ feet.

I personally recommend shooting the most "powerful" cartridge that you shoot very well. I'm partial to the 300 Win Mag but I am biased: T3X in 300 Win Mag that shoots 190 gr Bergers and flat out kills stuff.

Not 100% sure yet but right now I am thinking New Mexico on one of these hunts. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...2/new-mexico-rifle-elk-hunts#Post7741372

I have read a lot of people that said they used a 7-08 or 6.5CM. I was thinking just get a bigger gun to be safe and I could always sell it used later if didnt think I would go big game hunting again.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 10:19 PM

If you like your 7-08 and shoot it well, run that. Push a 150 ELD-X or 140 Accbond, or similar bullet, and call it good. With good shot placement, the 7-08 is fine. It's got plenty of bullet weight for deep penetration.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/21/20 10:53 PM

Taking a 7mm-08 would not be my first choice but that wouldn't keep me from taking it or taking for a back up. The 7mm Rem mag is a fine choice as is the 300 Win, we're I too take a WSM it would be the 270. I wouldn't go over a 150 gr with any except the 300 and with it I'd use 165's. I personally like Nosler Partitions but there's several options out there.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 12:45 AM

Last few years I have shot Elk with 6.5 SAUM(3)270 WSM(1)280 Rem(5) 300WSM(2) so with proper bullets placed in the proper spot not hard to pick a good solid performer.

Last season I built a short barreled 300WSM just for Colorado type mountain timber hunting. I couldn't have been happier with results. Based on what I have toted the last 3 seasons listed above the two that I would pick would be the Custom 300WSM or the Tikka 270 WSM. Not that the others didn't work just fine but they were heavier longer barreled.
The 300WSM dropped a cow elk at 510 yards this year and the 270 WSM killed the biggest Bull I have shot at 340 yards DRT.

The 280 Rem is no slouch with hand loads but if you don't reload I probably would not recommend it as highly. It hammered every animal I shot with it and it even killed two more elk that friends used it on. I loaded 168 Berger Classic's running 2880fps and of 7 elk shot with it out to 350 yards only one made a step and it ran maybe 15 yards.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 01:16 AM

I was in Chama New Mexico at the ace hardware and picked up a book written by a local elk guide.

His favorite elk rifles are the .270, .280 and .30-06.

7mm and .300 mags are great....if you can shoot them.

You need to be proficient shooting from field positions and that takes some practice and if your rifle pounds the chit outta you, you will either pick up bad habits or avoid practicing altogether. I had a beautiful browning a-bolt in 7mm Remington they I traded off simply because it kicked so bad.

My .300 I built for bigger game wears a brake and a deccelerator recoil pad on it. Besides it being a little loud, it’s extremely pleasant to shoot, thus I’m very accurate with it

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I was in Chama New Mexico at the ace hardware and picked up a book written by a local elk guide.

You need to be proficient shooting from field positions and that takes some practice and if your rifle pounds the chit outta you, you will either pick up bad habits or avoid practicing altogether. I had a beautiful browning a-bolt in 7mm Remington they I traded off simply because it kicked so bad.

My .300 I built for bigger game wears a brake and a deccelerator recoil pad on it. Besides it being a little loud, it’s extremely pleasant to shoot, thus I’m very accurate with it

So, you had a problem, couldn't take the recoil, traded the rifles.

Then got a rifle with just as much recoil, but wearing a brake, and all is well.

And you're one of the ones that used to speak very poorly of muzzle brakes. Well would ya look at that, more than 20 rounds per year, finally, and you learned something on your own. Since you refused to listen to other more experienced shooters.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

Taking a 7mm-08 would not be my first choice but that wouldn't keep me from taking it or taking for a back up. The 7mm Rem mag is a fine choice as is the 300 Win, we're I too take a WSM it would be the 270. I wouldn't go over a 150 gr with any except the 300 and with it I'd use 165's. I personally like Nosler Partitions but there's several options out there.

He said 400+ yard shooting, dropping down to a 150 gr in a 7mm would be going backwards.

But MV is all you care about. And you refuse to pay attention to data.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 02:08 AM

3006 in a Winchester Featherweight or Remington CDL in walnut. Plenty of gun, manageable recoil without a loudass brake, plenty of ammo options if you don't roll your own. Then you got a classic American gun, in a classic American caliber, going on a classic American hunt, and trifecta has been reached

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 02:10 AM

I shoot my 300 WBY stone stock and it can get a little rough on the shoulder if your on the bench, but I rarely notice it when hunting. All guns recoil, some a little more than others, don't fight it just go with it.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by RJH1
3006 in a Winchester Featherweight or Remington CDL in walnut. Plenty of gun, manageable recoil without a loudass brake, plenty of ammo options if you don't roll your own. Then you got a classic American gun, in a classic American caliber, going on a classic American hunt, and trifecta has been reached

Pop took allot of elk with a 30-06 but he jumped on the 300 train when Roy Weatherby first came out with the cartridge.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 02:38 AM

There is a Ruger 7mm Mag in the classifieds for $500. I've eyballed it a few times already. I need a bigger safe before I buy anymore rifles though.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 03:00 AM

So, you had a problem, couldn't take the recoil, traded the rifles.

Then got a rifle with just as much recoil, but wearing a brake, and all is well.

And you're one of the ones that used to speak very poorly of muzzle brakes. Well would ya look at that, more than 20 rounds per year, finally, and you learned something on your own. Since you refused to listen to other more experienced shooters.

I’ve always been pro muzzle brake.

Took me a min or two to figure it out, but last year I shot my .300 about 10 rounds total. 2 rounds at targets and the other 8 into animals.

Shot my .270 twice, both into animals and my .22-250 5 times, all into animals.

I did shoot my .257 wby 4 times at a target because I hadn’t shot it in a couple years.

Sorry but at this point in my life I just don’t shoot at targets all that much. Doesn’t mean I don’t know what I’m doing
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 03:36 AM

I think people underestimate the value of a good stock.

I would take a factory rifle with an upgraded stock and brake before I dropped a semi custom in a factory stock.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 11:31 AM

Sorry but at this point in my life I just don’t shoot at targets all that much. Doesn’t mean I don’t know what I’m doing

It don't matter, you can hunt 50 plus years, shoot hundreds of rifles and thousands of rounds of ammo and some will still claim you know nothing simply because you don't spend all your time punching holes in targets or banging steel plates. If you don't accept their word as gospel and them as superior hunters and shooters they'll attack your every comment. I find the term Narcissistic Jerk's to be appropriate in their description.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 01:19 PM

I have a Tikka T3 in 300WinMag with a Bell and Carlson stock. It is light, easy haul around and recoil is manageable. It loves Hornady Precision Hunter 200 grain bullets. I haven't shot at 400 yards, but it works at 300 yards.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 01:29 PM

It don't matter, you can hunt 50 plus years, shoot hundreds of rifles and thousands of rounds of ammo and some will still claim you know nothing simply because you don't spend all your time punching holes in targets or banging steel plates. If you don't accept their word as gospel and them as superior hunters and shooters they'll attack your every comment. I find the term Narcissistic Jerk's to be appropriate in their description.

I’ll remember next week that they think I’m inexperienced as Im on my way to the taxidermist to pick up all my animals...
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 03:37 PM

I shot my elk last year in Chama, NM

with a 20" Tikka .308, 168 gr

hit it in the neck and it dropped on the spot

Your 7mm-08 will be just fine

stop worrying about caliber, concentrate on bullet and practice shooting off shooting stick

IMO, Nosler Partition is the best for dropping game

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 04:24 PM

partitions!!!! don't understand why they make any other bullets..... Maybe that comment will deflect "them" from retaliating against the inexperienced ones. ideally a better choice would be to get back on topic.
don't shoot the peace maker, any of yall….

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 05:42 PM

I’ll remember next week that they think I’m inexperienced as Im on my way to the taxidermist to pick up all my animals...

O.P. mentioned 400 to 500 yards possibly. You already said you wouldn't take that shot, because too much can go wrong. Sure can, if you don't know what you're doing. He does know what he's doing, and he practices. Therefore his effective range is farther, therefore producing more acres to cover, and more opportunities. His initial post was asking for the purpose of power at those ranges, not should he even try it. No one is taking away from your successes, so don't take away from someone who is better prepared for their future endeavors.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 06:03 PM

I have a Kimber 8400 300 WM. It weighs in at 7.5 wounds and has a 4x16 Leupold w/a 40mm objective on top. It is a lil' heavier but easier for me to shoot accurately than my lighter Tikka T-3 Stainless Light chambered in 270. This is especially true when not at a bench rest and certainly when utilized off hand or with shooting sticks. Utilizing factory 180 grain ammo (is there anything else), I am quite confident with it and have a proven track record. The confidence is worth the extra weight.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 06:18 PM

O.P. mentioned 400 to 500 yards possibly. You already said you wouldn't take that shot, because too much can go wrong. Sure can, if you don't know what you're doing. He does know what he's doing, and he practices. Therefore his effective range is farther, therefore producing more acres to cover, and more opportunities. His initial post was asking for the purpose of power at those ranges, not should he even try it. No one is taking away from your successes, so don't take away from someone who is better prepared for their future endeavors.

If he knows what he’s doing then he wouldn’t be asking what a good elk caliber is for 400-500 yard shots.

Sorry I’m not jumping on the hype wagon and gonna suggest taking a 500 yard shot at an elk as a prudent practice.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 07:14 PM

Did you know you can routinely hit 1000 yards with .223? Then add the huge list of other cartridges that will also do it. Anyone that has learned and practiced at distance, knows what they're doing. They just may have doing it with a bullet and MV that isn't stout enough to kill an elk at that distance, like the .223 I mentioned.

I've taken 3 shots at 3 elk. 3 elk were hit one time only, and all 3 went in the freezer. 200 yards, 465 yards, 510 yards.

Not prudent practice? Well, I practiced for years before making those shots on those elk, and I did it with a rifle and load stout enough to hit them hard enough. I didn't take a .223.

This place is for asking questions and sharing ideas. He didn't ask you if it was prudent, he asked what rifle and cartridge to use.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by cbump
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

This the place in the colony?

Yes
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 07:32 PM

This place is for asking questions and sharing ideas. He didn't ask you if it was prudent, he asked what rifle and cartridge to use.

Yep. Always interesting how those who do not push to develop their skills think others have the same limitation.

Watching a really good competitor shoot offhand and reliably hit relatively small targets out to 600 yards and beyond is impressive and a good demonstration of what is possible with dedicated practice.

Shooting from a good prone or supported position at 500 yards can be close to 100% reliable shot placement if the person will devote the time to practice.

There are no short cuts.

Here is my wife shooting her GAP .308 at 300 yards offhand and center punching it.

At this particular match, she made a small mistake on her elevation correction and rather than going for center of mass, she put 10 of 10 in the silhouette's head at 600 yards prompting the guys in the pits pulling targets to get on the walkie talkie and say, "do not piss off that woman!"

[Linked Image]

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbird

Shooting from a good prone position at 500 yards can be close to 100% reliable shot placement if the person will devote the time to practice.

yes because every mountain meadow and grassy flat will let you lay down prone on your shooting mat before lobbing one over at a elk.

Hitting an elk at 500 yards isn't the challenge. Its like shooting your truck at that distance.

its everything that happens after you pull the trigger that comes into play.

It's not worth the argument anymore. Yall continue shooting animals real far away and I'll keep shooting them a little far away and we will co-exist just fine
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 08:05 PM

Shooting from a good prone position at 500 yards can be close to 100% reliable shot placement if the person will devote the time to practice.

yes because every mountain meadow and grassy flat will let you lay down prone on your shooting mat before lobbing one over at a elk.

Hitting an elk at 500 yards isn't the challenge. Its like shooting your truck at that distance.

its everything that happens after you pull the trigger that comes into play.

It's not worth the argument anymore. Yall continue shooting animals real far away and I'll keep shooting them a little far away and we will co-exist just fine

I edited the above comment to "prone or supported," which is a subject worthy of discussion.

I have been in field situations in which 20 yard shots were too hard and I passed on the shot. It all depends on the conditions.

99% of the animals I shoot are inside of 150 yards, but I have shot deer to just shy of 500 yards and they dropped where they stood (walking actually, so had to also correct with a lead for the walking) with the first shot.

I'll forego my "best" shot because you would not believe it possible because it is beyond your ability to even conceive of someone being able to make it.

A really good and well practiced shooter will have a very wide range of shot possibilities in their toolbox and also possess the knowledge of what is and isn't possible for a reliable shot in the circumstances presented.

500 yards can be easy, and yet other times, 50 yards can be too hard. It depends on the situation presented.

Go to most hunting camps or public ranges the weekend before deer season and many struggle with 100 yard shots from a bench or deer blind.

My skill level has dropped in recent years due to not practicing as much with a rifle. Now I'll pass on shots that ten years ago would not even cause a second thought.

Rest assured, there are men and women who can do things with a gun that most will think impossible, yet they do it very reliably.

Most hunters are overgunned and underpracticed. For most who EDC, the lack of practice is even worse.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 08:44 PM

The excitement of getting that close to an elk must be exhilarating.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 08:56 PM

Yep. Always interesting how those who do not push to develop their skills think others have the same limitation.

Watching a really good competitor shoot offhand and reliably hit relatively small targets out to 600 yards and beyond is impressive and a good demonstration of what is possible with dedicated practice.

Shooting from a good prone or supported position at 500 yards can be close to 100% reliable shot placement if the person will devote the time to practice.

There are no short cuts.

Here is my wife shooting her GAP .308 at 300 yards offhand and center punching it.

At this particular match, she made a small mistake on her elevation correction and rather than going for center of mass, she put 10 of 10 in the silhouette's head at 600 yards prompting the guys in the pits pulling targets to get on the walkie talkie and say, "do not piss off that woman!"

[Linked Image]

Kudos to your bride Jeffbird, that is impressive. I really struggle with off hand so appreciate those who can.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 09:04 PM

cheers

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 09:33 PM

They are close....

With very good glass. grin

Preach jeffbird, preach!

TT85,

All year I get to shoot coyotes and hogs on my land, and all my neighbors land. Pretty much never do I get a prone shot. I get a tree limb, a barb wire fence, my knee, the mirror or the bed of the truck to shoot from. That's field shooting, odball positions at various heights off the ground. Therefore, this sits at the zero line of my range.

A 1" bar, every 6" off the ground. Practice on that frequently, and field shots are not so difficult anymore.

[Linked Image]

I bet the vast majority of hunters have at least a 6' step ladder at home. Rest the rifle on every rung, build a position, pick an aiming point in the scope, and dry fire. Anyone will know where their reticle was when the firing pin went click. It only costs time, no money. But the practice is invaluable.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 10:25 PM

Before this slips off the rails any further

I'm not dissuading anyone from practicing. If you want to get proficient with your weapon you have to practice. To get good at shooting, you must shoot. I used to spend quite a bit of time doing dry fire exercises in addition to the shooting I would do at the time.

I'm not questioning anyone's ability to hit an elk at 500 yards. I can easily do it, as can many others. My personal opinion is that its not wise to shoot at a game animal that far if at all possible because of what happens outside the shooters ability or control. 400 yards is a much better number if one wanted to set a limit. Again these are my personal beliefs.

I'm not anti-practice by any means, nor do I think people who have killed game at extreme ranges to be F.O.S or that its an unbelievable feat.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 10:40 PM

TT85, not putting a dog in this race as I have my opinion and others have theirs, so I don’t tell them what they should or shouldn’t do.

BUT, I am curious why 400 is ok and 500 is not? I know for a fact time of flight becomes an issue at extended ranges, but I can’t think of another reason. The 6.5 Creedmoor, which I have no use for but is a great example, hast a TOF of .509 to 400, and .658 to 500. That’s a .149 seconds difference. That’s about as slow of a cartridge as we have been talking about on this thread. Curious about your thoughts on this.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/22/20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169
TT85, not putting a dog in this race as I have my opinion and others have theirs, so I don’t tell them what they should or shouldn’t do.

BUT, I am curious why 400 is ok and 500 is not? I know for a fact time of flight becomes an issue at extended ranges, but I can’t think of another reason. The 6.5 Creedmoor, which I have no use for but is a great example, hast a TOF of .509 to 400, and .658 to 500. That’s a .149 seconds difference. That’s about as slow of a cartridge as we have been talking about on this thread. Curious about your thoughts on this.

*Disclaimer*- These are my personal opinions only and not to be taken as gospel or as a challenge to anyone who disagrees with me

I wouldn't say that a 500 yard shot is "not ok" its just not as ideal as a 400 yard or less.

Lets say for arguments sake the shooter is using a stout round capable of delivering elk killing energy at 500 yards. My .300 with a 180 grain accubond is hitting at 1750 ft.lbs of energy at that range....a few hundred pounds above the threshold recommended by the "experts" so we are good there. Bullet performance should still be ok as we are right around that 2000 fps range. At 500 yards that bullet is dropping almost 40". At 600 yards the bullet has dropped almost 5 1/2'. At 400 yards its dropped 20". Its a lot easier to guesstimate how much holdover you need at 400 than 500, let alone 600. If you practice with your rifle you should know which hatch mark to use if you have a BDC reticle, if you have a adjustable turret this is a moot point but not every shooter has one.

Then you have to the wind to account for. A breeze can throw the bullet off feet at that range, making a otherwise vital shot fall too far back or too far forward.

Then you have to contend with what happens after you pull the trigger. Recoil will throw your sight picture off and at that range its hard to recover in time to see the animals reaction. If you have a spotter it doesent matter but if your alone it certainly does. Did it run this way or that way? What did he do after the hit? Where exactly was he standing? At that range, a follow up shot isn't a guarantee if he was hit poorly.

500 yards on a elk is not un-doable. Its not surface to air missle range. But it does come with its own challenges and its my opinion as an experienced hunter things become real iffy for most people once you break the 400 yard barrier
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 12:16 AM

Another thing to consider is that atmospherics start to impact trajectory more as you go out further so you can practice down here, but it’s hard to practice at elevation...

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 12:23 AM

I appreciate you taking the time to give a thought out answer. I still hold with the thought that if practice and become proficient at a given distance, then only concern is time of flight. Assuming you have enough gun for the job, which was the intent of this thread I think. At some point an animal can walk off after you pull the trigger, but before the bullet arrives. That’s the reason to know an ethical TOF, and it is different in every scenario. As others, maybe you, have said, there’s shots that shouldn’t be taken at 60 yards. Know you’re own limitations. Ok, now I’m rambling again.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 12:28 AM

things become real iffy for most people once you break the 400 yard barrier

Yep and that's one of the advantages to a rifle that's flat shooting and the reason for it's development. Roy Weatherby knew this back in the 40's when he first come out with the Weatherby line of cartridges. Takes allot of the guess work out of a shot when you're running 150 grain 30 cal's about 3500 fps and dropping less than 24 inches at 500 and bringing 1700 ft-lbs, and still running 2300 fps. That numbers about 18 with the 257 Weatherby running 87's and it's got 1100 ft-lbs and 2500 fps remaining.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 12:39 AM

I appreciate you taking the time to give a thought out answer. I still hold with the thought that if practice and become proficient at a given distance, then only concern is time of flight. Assuming you have enough gun for the job, which was the intent of this thread I think. At some point an animal can walk off after you pull the trigger, but before the bullet arrives. That’s the reason to know an ethical TOF, and it is different in every scenario. As others, maybe you, have said, there’s shots that shouldn’t be taken at 60 yards. Know you’re own limitations. Ok, now I’m rambling again.

To that point, if you want to have a 500 yard elk cartridge, I would pick a .28 or .30 cal magnum.

I’m a big fan of the 7mm-08 and think it’s a great cartridge. In mountain terrain, a lightweight 7mm-08 with a good bullet will give you plenty of punch to 300 yards and will save your back lugging it up mountains.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 12:47 AM

There is no guesswork.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 12:49 AM

*Disclaimer*- These are my personal opinions only and not to be taken as gospel or as a challenge to anyone who disagrees with me

I wouldn't say that a 500 yard shot is "not ok" its just not as ideal as a 400 yard or less.

Lets say for arguments sake the shooter is using a stout round capable of delivering elk killing energy at 500 yards. My .300 with a 180 grain accubond is hitting at 1750 ft.lbs of energy at that range....a few hundred pounds above the threshold recommended by the "experts" so we are good there. Bullet performance should still be ok as we are right around that 2000 fps range. At 500 yards that bullet is dropping almost 40". At 600 yards the bullet has dropped almost 5 1/2'. At 400 yards its dropped 20". Its a lot easier to guesstimate how much holdover you need at 400 than 500, let alone 600. If you practice with your rifle you should know which hatch mark to use if you have a BDC reticle, if you have a adjustable turret this is a moot point but not every shooter has one.

Then you have to the wind to account for. A breeze can throw the bullet off feet at that range, making a otherwise vital shot fall too far back or too far forward.

Then you have to contend with what happens after you pull the trigger. Recoil will throw your sight picture off and at that range its hard to recover in time to see the animals reaction. If you have a spotter it doesent matter but if your alone it certainly does. Did it run this way or that way? What did he do after the hit? Where exactly was he standing? At that range, a follow up shot isn't a guarantee if he was hit poorly.

500 yards on a elk is not un-doable. Its not surface to air missle range. But it does come with its own challenges and its my opinion as an experienced hunter things become real iffy for most people once you break the 400 yard barrier

If you really knew how to make those shots, you wouldn't be talking about inches and BDC.

Yeah, you shouldn't make those shots, but it's old telling others they shouldn't either.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 12:56 AM

Always interesting to hash and re-hash the longer range hunting scenario, especially on this forum. People probably get tired of me bringing it up, but I've gotten to watch some of the best shooters on the planet (literally) shoot long distance in various winds up in the TX Panhandle. One of them is the most accomplished and decorated long range competition shooter in history, so these guys know what they're doing. In this realm, the easy part is the gun,optics, bullet combination. The much harder part is obviously doping the wind. NONE of these guys can dope wind correctly on the first shot every time. NONE. They practice a bunch, and I mean a whole bunch up there, and they still can't hit the target on the first shot every time.

I bring this up because when these scenarios are posted here, many make it seem like all you have to do is go buy a GAP precision rifle, throw a NF ATACR on it, grab some Bergers, get your dope, and everything is easy street thereafter. That's the fallacy in all of these debates. IF the premier sniper trainer in the world, his students, and the most accomplished long range competition shooter ever can't do it, nobody else can either, period. You can practice all you want and you still won't be able to make first round hits 100% of the time. When the wind isn't blowing, it's so easy a caveman can do it.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
Always interesting to hash and re-hash the longer range hunting scenario, especially on this forum. People probably get tired of me bringing it up, but I've gotten to watch some of the best shooters on the planet (literally) shoot long distance in various winds up in the TX Panhandle. One of them is the most accomplished and decorated long range competition shooter in history, so these guys know what they're doing. In this realm, the easy part is the gun,optics, bullet combination. The much harder part is obviously doping the wind. NONE of these guys can dope wind correctly on the first shot every time. NONE. They practice a bunch, and I mean a whole bunch up there, and they still can't hit the target on the first shot every time.

I bring this up because when these scenarios are posted here, many make it seem like all you have to do is go buy a GAP precision rifle, throw a NF ATACR on it, grab some Bergers, get your dope, and everything is easy street thereafter. That's the fallacy in all of these debates. IF the premier sniper trainer in the world, his students, and the most accomplished long range competition shooter ever can't do it, nobody else can either, period. You can practice all you want and you still won't be able to make first round hits 100% of the time. When the wind isn't blowing, it's so easy a caveman can do it.

I would think you're talking about the 600+ yard shots. Bet they're always or almost always on, 500 and in. If they're not, I'm at a loss.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:06 AM

Watch this video.

You have the founder of gunwerks, who is a very competent long range shooter and his brother.

First shot hits the sheep in front of the hip. Arron shoots his sheep square in the arse on his first shot. Had these been elk they would have been gone.

Granted, distance is a bit further. But if there is no guesswork then why didn’t they drill both sheep on the first shot?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nb3ZdmrnwVM

Again, not much point in arguing it anymore. We won’t change each other’s minds

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:10 AM

The best “shooter” in the world was walking in 400- 500 yard shots?
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:18 AM

There’s a big difference in thinking you can, and can

I can’t at this moment take anything at 500.

I’ll admit it, some won’t

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05

I couldnt consistently right now, with that said I’d be first to admit it’s soley due to pure laziness and not practicing enough.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:37 AM

I couldnt consistently right now, with that said I’d be first to admit it’s soley due to pure laziness and not practicing enough.

That makes at least 3 of us right now. I sold the rifle that I took a doe with at 510 last year. Me and the one I’ve built now are a long way from it.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:40 AM

I would think you're talking about the 600+ yard shots. Bet they're always or almost always on, 500 and in. If they're not, I'm at a loss.

Yes FJG. They are almost always on, but keep in mind that up in Canadian the wind can really get with the program. It could be 20-40mph some days. 10-20 is very normal, across ridges, valleys, etc. He has the damdest setup you've ever seen. You can shoot 360*, any direction, out to 2000m. Talk about doping some wind....... I couldn't even guess how much stell he has set out all over the place.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:42 AM

You ever been to Canadian TX? If you haven't, well, the wind can blow 10-65 mph any given day. Yout get maybe a day a week if you're lucky when the wind is 10 or less.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:45 AM

That makes at least 3 of us right now. I sold the rifle that I took a doe with at 510 last year. Me and the one I’ve built now are a long way from it.

Bit windy today.

Still managed to find the best load for a rifle, using 200 yard paper, waiting for the optimal wind and optimal light (mirage bad). Still windy, walked it from 300 to 800 yards, hitting center. Not an all day project. No great feat, lots of people can do the same. Point being, there are people out there that look at 500 yards as no big deal, most of the time. When I'm practicing, it is the distance I make my first shot, wind be damned. That's so I'm better prepared for the same shot on an animal.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:47 AM

Yes FJG. They are almost always on, but keep in mind that up in Canadian the wind can really get with the program. It could be 20-40mph some days. 10-20 is very normal, across ridges, valleys, etc. He has the damdest setup you've ever seen. You can shoot 360*, any direction, out to 2000m. Talk about doping some wind....... I couldn't even guess how much stell he has set out all over the place.

Shot dogs near Texline, and shot 360° for 7 years straight. Also shoot a match near Camargo, OK every year. I know what you speak of. It is pretty much always sporty up there. 10 mph wind is a gift.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:53 AM

Get a .338 and shoot a Nozler .225 Accubond and don't listen to anyone else, end of topic. All guides and outfitters like clients with large caliber guns. I've killed lots of elk in my life and with the combination they don't wander off.
Go big or stay home, with most guides or outfitters, you wing one and they can't find it your hunt is done.

Time for the dog pile😁

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by angus1956
Get a .338 and shoot a Nozler .225 Accubond and don't listen to anyone else, end of topic. All guides and outfitters like clients with large caliber guns. I've killed lots of elk in my life and with the combination they don't wander off.
Go big or stay home, with most guides or outfitters, you wing one and they can't find it your hunt is done.

Time for the dog pile😁

I like it! 8mm Rem Mag is another fine choice or really step it up and go with the 340 Weatherby.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:30 AM

Bobo I bet you aren't lazy its just not a priority. Same with me. There are shooters and there are hunters and their priorities are different. That's what drives this never ending debate. Does anyone think a bowhunter is gonna practice a 500 yard rifle shot. No!!! He doesn't WANT to. ME neither. Ill spend my time looking for a lease with bigger bucks an spend time scouting for those bucks. IM good with 3006 at 250. I have ZERO issues with guys punching paper but its not for everyone.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:46 AM

You ever been to Canadian TX? If you haven't, well, the wind can blow 10-65 mph any given day. Yout get maybe a day a week if you're lucky when the wind is 10 or less.

Very familiar, my fifth generation ranch is 2.5 hours north west of there, in the epi center of the dust bowl.

400 yards with my 257 Wby (mild BC bullets), 20mph 90* wind, is roughly touch less the <2 MOA or 7.5in.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:50 AM

Bobo I bet you aren't lazy its just not a priority. Same with me. There are shooters and there are hunters and their priorities are different. That's what drives this never ending debate.

And there are hunters that are also shooters.

Can't hunt all animals all year. Can practice with the tools used during each game's season all year though.

And I know plenty of bow hunters that practice 12 months a year, and shoot matches up to and during their seasons. They are quite dangerous, and quite successful.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:52 AM

I would bet most of the best and highly experienced hunters, guys that go on those great adventures or have the best leases, don't make it to that point in life by spending their time and energy at the range every weekend. And that's not being lazy. You gotta have priorities.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:53 AM

Very familiar, my fifth generation ranch is 2.5 hours north west of there, in the epi center of the dust bowl.

400 yards with my 257 Wby (mild BC bullets), 20mph 90* wind, is roughly touch less the <2 MOA or 7.5in.

Good deal, I can see you're wanting to be argumentative tonight, but I'll just say that next time I go up there maybe you can meet Hodnett, his "students" and Tubb and show 'em how it's done. I'm sure they will appreciate it

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
I would bet most of the best and highly experienced hunters, guys that go on those great adventures or have the best leases, don't make it to that point in life by spending their time and energy at the range every weekend. And that's not being lazy. You gotta have priorities.

I have almost zero interest in range time when it gets hot in June-Aug. I'd much rather be doing something else.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:58 AM

Or spend their time telling people on the internet how awesome they are. Lol

I can shoot 600. Well I can shoot 700. bang

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 03:09 AM

Bobo I bet you aren't lazy its just not a priority. Same with me. There are shooters and there are hunters and their priorities are different. That's what drives this never ending debate. Does anyone think a bowhunter is gonna practice a 500 yard rifle shot. No!!! He doesn't WANT to. ME neither. Ill spend my time looking for a lease with bigger bucks an spend time scouting for those bucks. IM good with 3006 at 250. I have ZERO issues with guys punching paper but its not for everyone.

I don’t mean lazy in a derogatory way, I’m just being honest with my self it’s lazy/lessor priority, with practice I know I can, done it before, like previously running 8 min mile and not being able to currently run a 12 min mile, it matters to no one but like you said it is a product of different priorities

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 03:17 AM

Good deal, I can see you're wanting to be argumentative tonight, but I'll just say that next time I go up there maybe you can meet Hodnett, his "students" and Tubb and show 'em how it's done. I'm sure they will appreciate it

No, just honesty don’t understand it, that’s all.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 04:01 AM

I wonder what any of this bullcrap has to do with aggiegolfer's questions. If ya'll forgot, he's got a 7-08 with 18" barrel he wants to use with a suppressor. Can he use it, what are his limitations, should he get a bigger gun? I would kind of like to know myself.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 04:09 AM

I wonder what any of this bullcrap has to do with aggiegolfer's questions. If ya'll forgot, he's got a 7-08 with 18" barrel he wants to use with a suppressor. Can he use it, what are his limitations, should he get a bigger gun? I would kind of like to know myself.

Yes he can use it. Keep the ranges reasonable ( around and under 300 yards ) and use a good bullet and he will be able to kill an elk.

Most standard deer calibers will do double duty. .308, .270, .280, etc all will work fine.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 04:11 AM

1500’ish lbs + of KE at impact is kind of the general thought process, it allows for shoulder with bonded bullets.

Posted By: Erny

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 04:27 AM

Any of the three you mentioned will work, but I am a fan of the 300 Win Mag or WSM. I have a tikka 300 WSM and it is killing machine.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 10:20 AM

I wonder what any of this bullcrap has to do with aggiegolfer's questions. It doesn't, TT85 gave unsolicited advice about shot distanceIf ya'll forgot, he's got a 7-08 with 18" barrel he wants to use with a suppressor. Can he use it,yes what are his limitations, shorter range than the 400-500 yards he mentionedshould he get a bigger gun?for what he's wanting to do, yes I would kind of like to know myself.Did you skip every page and start at the back? It was answered on the first page.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 10:42 AM

Someone's a Grumpy Gus this morning.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:37 PM

I wonder what any of this bullcrap has to do with aggiegolfer's questions. It doesn't, TT85 gave unsolicited advice about shot distanceIf ya'll forgot, he's got a 7-08 with 18" barrel he wants to use with a suppressor. Can he use it,yes what are his limitations, shorter range than the 400-500 yards he mentionedshould he get a bigger gun?for what he's wanting to do, yes I would kind of like to know myself.Did you skip every page and start at the back? It was answered on the first page.

Fyi you are the one that came into this thread and started insulting people. Beginning with txtrophy85. You never pass on the chance to take a shot at somebody. Pun intended.

It is sort of a pattern i have noticed.

And it was definitely solicited advise

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:45 PM

Be a good start if you stop trying to make every thread about long range marksmanship and then trying to sell your range, insulting and attempting to discredit any reasonable opinion that is contrary to your agenda, JG.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 01:53 PM

Be a good start if you stop trying to make every thread about long range marksmanship and then trying to sell your range, insulting and attempting to discredit any reasonable opinion that is contrary to your agenda, JG.

You just asked for the impossible, he can't help himself. Maybe there's a 12 step program out there?

He's going to be so pissed off when he finds out GOD shoot's Weatherby's.
Posted By: JJH

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:10 PM

Hear, Hear.

It's a hobby. Why is in necessary to denigrate others who spend their free time differently than you? The shooting/hunting sports can be enjoyed many different ways. Some of us actually shoot bullets with BCs less that .500, and are "successful" in enjoying our hobbies. We should be supporting others who enjoy hunting/shooting, not insulting them.

Promote your business as you like, but insulting others doesn't seem to be a good way to attract customers.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:14 PM

In this case the original post was about a 4-500 yard Elk gun. When talking hunting I consider that long range marksmanship.

The rest of your statement I’ll leave to y’all to argue.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:19 PM

I plan on shooting with a suppressor so that will help with the recoil some. I would like to take my 7-08 since it’s cut down to 18 inch barrel and light weight but worried it might be enough knock down power

For reference. You see what you want to see i guess.

Edit- i am done, its time for another social media fast. I cant take anymore. Long range marksmanship i agree should be part of the discussion, that doesn't make it the subject. I am sure that OP didnt stick around the thread for a good reason.

I will leave you with this- high pressure sales mostly only works on betas. Most hunters don't fancy themselves to be beta personality types.

If you keep trying to play the bully in business you're gonna dig yourself into a hole you can't get out of.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 02:26 PM

And for clarification, wp, that is not directed at you ^
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 07:41 PM

Time for another screen name change?

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 08:57 PM

Fyi you are the one that came into this thread and started insulting people. Beginning with txtrophy85. You never pass on the chance to take a shot at somebody. Pun intended.

It is sort of a pattern i have noticed.

And it was definitely solicited advise

I simply asnwered your questions, nothing more.

I don't get your knee jerk to get so butt hurt. Maybe it is time for another screen name change, like Snakeoil said. The rest of us can see that pattern.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 09:08 PM

Yall are late to the party with the mame change jokes, and i changed all my names on all social media to my real full name. Because i have got nothing to hide, no hidden agenda unlike some people.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 09:10 PM

But yeah, ill be back in thirty days to bringbthis thread back after the fast if you keep it up. Best tread lightly
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 09:30 PM

OP, your 6.5 or 7-08 will kill an elk dead. If you want to carry a 500 yard capable Elk rifle you need more gun. The 300’s and the 7 RM you inquired about are fine choices and will do it in style. Keep us posted and good luck getting set up for how you want to hunt elk. up

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 10:16 PM

Best tread lightly

I have no dog in this fight, and actually thought you had a couple of good points there, 'til you went off the rails. Are you telling yourself to "tread lightly", or others to? If the latter - "Fugettaboutit!" boxing

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 10:32 PM

Cooollld Beer! Drink responsibly.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/23/20 10:38 PM

my vote is for deep breathing and tongue biting and back

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 01:31 AM

I am sorry guys and i really am going on a fast. I had to check in on this one more time. And now I gotta go put myself in time out, because At times i am as immature as anybody.

Peace out yall, see you in 30 days. For real this time.

Aggiegolfer i am sorry my friend.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 10:41 AM

As in other things, the perceived cure is often worse than the disease.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 02:24 PM

Let’s talk about Moose and Bear Rifles now

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 02:39 PM

Be careful, there all kinds out there. I had to immediately get away from a poster talking about shooting gobblers at 40 yards with a 410. I couldn't have cared less about what load was being used.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 03:00 PM

So moose and bear with a 410 you say...? Throw that out and somebody will bite

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Be careful, there all kinds out there. I had to immediately get away from a poster talking about shooting gobblers at 40 yards with a 410. I couldn't have cared less about what load was being used.

Tell them you hunt with a 22.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 04:44 PM

Had a guy tell me, over and over, that he shot 600 pound Nilga calf with a 22 mag.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 04:56 PM

I shot my first wild hog with my BB gun when I was 10.

Finally annoyed him enough he walked off. Lucky he didn’t get mad.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 05:12 PM

This sh?+ got weird. eeks333

Aggie, I'm having a switch-barrel rifle built right now on a short action. One of my barrels will be chambered to 300wsm. A 212 ELD-X at 2800 fps is a monster.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
This sh?+ got weird. eeks333

Aggie, I'm having a switch-barrel rifle built right now on a short action. One of my barrels will be chambered to 300wsm. A 212 ELD-X at 2800 fps is a monster.

Real weird. I just read thought it all.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 05:32 PM

It got weird cause some wanted to deflect from the infighting. I think the OP got adequate answer long ago so no harm no foul.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 06:16 PM

Los Hermanos has good Guizo.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

I’m not sure I understand why that would be a problem?

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 09:44 PM

'Pretty sure I'm shooting my moose and bear with a .280, unless the guy in classifieds ever answers on the all-weather .30-06. Who doesn't set their thread to email them when they're trying to sell something? bang Amateurs. I love a good aught 6. up
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/24/20 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
'Pretty sure I'm shooting my moose and bear with a .280, unless the guy in classifieds ever answers on the all-weather .30-06. Who doesn't set their thread to email them when they're trying to sell something? bang Amateurs. I love a good aught 6. up

roflmao

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/26/20 03:06 PM

1500’ish lbs + of KE at impact is kind of the general thought process, it allows for shoulder with bonded bullets.

The 1500-ish foot pounds got me to thinking. Looked at the data for my 7mm08, my load is 2605 fps at the muzzle with a 175 eldx. At 500 yards its still maintaining 1,569 foot pounds and over 2000 fps. At this moment in time there is no question I would take my 7mm-08 over my 300 wby. It has the scope to do the job much better and at this point in time I have a lot more recent time behind it than the 300. IF I take my 300 I will move my preferred mil scope to it and work up a different load than im currently using in it. But it seems the 7mm08 is more than adequate. People cleanly kill elk with lots of run of the mill short action 308 family cartridges and similar.

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/26/20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

The 1500-ish foot pounds got me to thinking. Looked at the data for my 7mm08, my load is 2605 fps at the muzzle with a 175 eldx. At 500 yards its still maintaining 1,569 foot pounds and over 2000 fps. At this moment in time there is no question I would take my 7mm-08 over my 300 wby. It has the scope to do the job much better and at this point in time I have a lot more recent time behind it than the 300. IF I take my 300 I will move my preferred mil scope to it and work up a different load than im currently using in it. But it seems the 7mm08 is more than adequate. People cleanly kill elk with lots of run of the mill short action 308 family cartridges and similar.

If you can shoot the weatherby even half decent take that. A 7mm-08 will certainly kill an elk but a .300 wby will smash it.

My elk hunting partner uses a .300 wby with 180 grain partitions...it’s a one shot deal every time with most of the elk never taking a step other than to fall over

Re: Elk rifle help - 05/26/20 05:39 PM

Ill practice as far as I can before I get to go. ive got the equipment to shoot further than I feel comfortable with the 7mm, but I think there is a 99.9% chance I would not be limited to a 500 yard shot only. I shoot the 300 well, but its a gloss wood stock blued sporter delux, its a pretty rifle to me. My 7mm08 is synthetic stainless. Ill have to make the pic one day I guess.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum