Texas Hunting Forum

Is there any point in 9mm lease carry

Posted By: scot

Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 01:59 AM

I was a long time fan of 10mm but never found a pistol I could shoot well enough so I ended up with a 9mm I shoot much better. Issue I’ve got now is I feel carrying a 9mm around doesn’t give me much of a shot against a pig, assume 9mm rat shot isn’t worth much? So convince me I don’t need another pistol or make suggestions on what would make more sense?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 02:20 AM

I shot a pig last weekend with my 9mm. Not the best option, but it is a viable one.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 02:30 AM

9mm rat shot is more effective than you would think. I’ve killed quite a few rattlers with mine from 5-10 yards
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 03:12 AM

Well my 9 holds 18 rounds. So that’s big factor compared to 8 in the 45.
Posted By: Rock Rancher

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 03:14 AM

I think you've come to the wrong place if you want to be talked out of "needing" another gun.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 03:15 AM

Get some good ammo, it will be fine.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Rock Rancher
I think you've come to the wrong place if you want to be talked out of "needing" another gun.

roflmao
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 03:29 AM

A 9 year old killed a couple pigs last year at our lease. He emptied the magazine on them and told his dad he needed more roflmao

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 04:07 AM

I would think FMJ would be more effective on a charging hog head shot or hog headshot in general for penetration purposes.

I would just get a taurus judge. Load half 45 LC and half with birdshot for snakes.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 10:36 AM

I've killed a pig with .22LR. Wasn't a spectacular kill, but it worked. I think 9mm with a good 124 would be way better than ratshot.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 11:06 AM

Couple years ago I shot a decent size Boar with my crossbow right at dark. Since light was fading fast I got out and trailed him right away. When I walked up on him he was in some dense underbrush and still very much alive. Only way out of there was the way I came in. When he got up I put 2 rounds of PDX1 from a 380 in him and it was lights out. If a 380 can do it I know a 9mm can.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 11:41 AM

I carry a 9mm on the lease. One mag rat shot one mag hollow point. Tried to kill a hog in a trap. Shot it 9 times in the head, kept walking. Finally it expired. Carry now FMJ instead of hollow points.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 11:48 AM

I would recommend a 1911 in 45 ACP or 10mm. They are both a pleasure to shoot and will certainly put the smack down on hogs.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 12:17 PM

According to the interwebs, all the pistol calibers perform the same nowadays...
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 12:32 PM

Generally, my Ruger GP-100 .357 revolver goes with me because I shoot it far better than any other gun I own. This is especially true as the distance increases. More rounds is better, but I have not needed more than six for that purpose - yet.

I'm a big believer in carrying what you are very proficient with.

Marc
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Marc in Bastrop
Generally, my Ruger GP-100 .357 revolver goes with me because I shoot it far better than any other gun I own. This is especially true as the distance increases. More rounds is better, but I have not needed more than six for that purpose - yet.

I'm a big believer in carrying what you are very proficient with.

Marc

Gotta get me one of those. Haven't had the itch for another firearm for years, but that thing always catches my attention.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 12:46 PM

I shot a doe with my Glock 43 using my self defense loads. One shot at 18 yards away it broke the onside shoulder ... she made about a 15 yard run and expired. I use the 147gr Hornady XTP
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 01:51 PM

well, it depends on where you hit them obviously..
behind the ear, pretty much anything will be fine

being charged by a big pissed off boar... different story
a 45 with heavy +p hardcasts is probably the most reasonable solution if you want a semi auto
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I would think FMJ would be more effective on a charging hog head shot or hog headshot in general for penetration purposes.

I would just get a taurus judge. Load half 45 LC and half with birdshot for snakes.

I’d much much rather have 18 shots of 9mm than 3 shots of 45LC.

Load the mag in the gun with fmj or defensive rounds and get a belt mag holder and carry a mag w/ rat shot.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
Well my 9 holds 18 rounds. So that’s big factor compared to 8 in the 45.

Maybe, but a .45 is throwing twice as much lead downrange with each shot.

Or, do what I do. Carry a Para-Ordnance P-14 in .45. 15 Rounds of 230grain counter stacked ball and hollow point.
Posted By: TXBoss

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 02:53 PM

I carry a Glock 20 10mm with 15 or so rounds. Its a little heavy, but I've never carried anything lighter when I'm hunting or just out in the woods... so I don't mind.

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 02:57 PM

I don't carry anything on Ft Hood when out walking around. Can't.
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 04:42 PM

I used to, but cherish my hearing these days! I could always find something to shoot at, now i just beat the snakes to death with a stick or grab a suppressed rifle from the mule.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 06:34 PM

10mm glock in a chest holster when walking around the lease. RDS and light on it makes it easy to shoot snakes at night for sure.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 07:13 PM

I have a judge I carry when on my land. I have it loaded with defense rounds, mainly for rattlers, but wouldn't hesitate to shoot it at a pig.

But when has a pig ever charged anyone? I have been around pigs a lot and my impression is they don't want ay part of us, they just run away when I get close enough. Maybe its cuz I stink so bad?
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 07:35 PM

Twice I've had large pigs come up to the edge of the pen when I was inside filling feeders, they weren't scared at all. Only had snake shot loaded 9mm one time, he eventually went back in the brush. The other time was at my pig setup with 2 holes cut out of the bottom of the panels. That one is a very small (4 panel) pen and I admit I was puckering a little!
Posted By: chalet

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 07:50 PM

I generally wear a Single Six with 22lr cylinder at the lease. Probably not the best pig medicine in a pinch but works great for whatever else I need to shoot, which generally isn't much. If I'm going to be much further than a few steps from the truck I'll have a rifle in hand.

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo1
Twice I've had large pigs come up to the edge of the pen when I was inside filling feeders, they weren't scared at all. Only had snake shot loaded 9mm one time, he eventually went back in the brush. The other time was at my pig setup with 2 holes cut out of the bottom of the panels. That one is a very small (4 panel) pen and I admit I was puckering a little!
should have shot him in the eye

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/11/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Jimbo1
should have shot him in the eye

...or you could have given the pig a Red Ryder BB gun and he probably would have done it to himself. nuts
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 12:19 AM

I carry a 9mm on the ranch daily, been carrying FMJ's for years. It will put a full grown cow down.

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 01:16 AM

It'll kill a grizzly, too...just a question of whether or not he dies before he dines on you.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 05:54 AM

I'd use a +P 124 gr. or +P 147 gr. quality bullet with good penetration. Take your pick and practice, practice, practice.
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 09:38 AM

Double stack .45 HK USP Tactical. Had a leg holster custom made for the ranch that fits the gun and suppressor. It's funny to look at because of the length but it works great.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 12:02 PM

A 9mm will kill a hog or a snake at your lease just fine. A 22lr will kill a hog if your close enough and you shoot it in the right spot. I wouldn't waste much energy worrying about getting attacked by pigs. if a pig has a way to get away from you he will take it. I think a lot of folks mistake near sightedness for a lack of fear. The few that I have shot with a pistol were with a 357 ruger flat top. A six shooter is plenty. When you shoot into them, they run like hell.
Posted By: mreed

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 12:08 PM

9mm will do the trick just fine. If you’re worried that a 9mm won’t work or the pigs are just that thick and angry where you hunt, you might consider carrying an ar in a cqb setup. My “this one time 9mm story” is that I killed a beaver at 20 yards with my m&p shield while gigging frogs in a pond last year, so there’s that I guess
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 01:48 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Originally Posted By: Rock Rancher
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 02:05 PM

I carry semi-auto all week long because it's my job. When I'm on my ranch it's revolver only. If you have to perform a tactical reload because of pigs you are doing something wrong. Six shots out of a Blackhawk with Ruger-only 45 Colt loads will handle anything in the lower 48.

That being said, I would not feel undergunned shooting a pesky hog with a 9mm.
Posted By: crash700

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 02:26 PM

I would not carry rat shot unless I was carrying it in a spare mag for snakes. You may look into some hard cast +P ammo like the stuff offered by Buffalo Bore, that should work very well for most swine issues. Also, consider some of the stuff from Lehigh, they have some "extreme penetrator" though I have never used it. I carry a Glock 21 in the woods with my duty ammo (230 grain Ranger SXT +P) unless I'm in bear country then its my Smith 69 in 44 mag. The main thing is carry what makes you comfortable. If you shoot a hog, maybe use it for a crash test dummy and shoot it at different angles with your 9mm and see how well it penetrates and if you are happy with the results. That should give you peace of mind or make you switch, depending on the results.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/12/18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: crash700
I would not carry rat shot unless I was carrying it in a spare mag for snakes. You may look into some hard cast +P ammo like the stuff offered by Buffalo Bore, that should work very well for most swine issues. Also, consider some of the stuff from Lehigh, they have some "extreme penetrator" though I have never used it. I carry a Glock 21 in the woods with my duty ammo (230 grain Ranger SXT +P) unless I'm in bear country then its my Smith 69 in 44 mag. The main thing is carry what makes you comfortable. If you shoot a hog, maybe use it for a crash test dummy and shoot it at different angles with your 9mm and see how well it penetrates and if you are happy with the results. That should give you peace of mind or make you switch, depending on the results.

I like this idea.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Is there any point in 9mm lease carry - 04/13/18 10:39 AM

I wouldn’t feel undergunned with a 9mm. I grew up on a ranch and currently live on 750 acres. When I was growing up no one in my family or anyone else I knew carried a handgun on their property even if they were hunting. Being charged by a hog is the least of my worries. I just don’t feel the need to have a handgun on me when hunting or walking around the property. The 9mm in my truck is close enough. If I lived on the border it would be a different story.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum