Texas Hunting Forum

Rifle barrel disposal

Posted By: ETXbuckman

Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 05:53 PM

I recently had one of my rifles rebarreled and the company that did it shipped the old one back to me as well. Any idea how I'm supposed to dispose of it? I was thinking maybe I could set it out with the recycling, or just with the trash, but those seem dicey.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 06:03 PM

It makes a good tomato stake!
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: ETXbuckman
I recently had one of my rifles rebarreled and the company that did it shipped the old one back to me as well. Any idea how I'm supposed to dispose of it? I was thinking maybe I could set it out with the recycling, or just with the trash, but those seem dicey.

What seems dicey? It just a hunk of metal.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 06:42 PM

You can sell them for a little of nothing. Guys use them to make chamber seaters and depth gauges. I've kept mine because I have aspirations of owning a lathe someday and we'll need some practice barrels.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 06:52 PM

I might pound one into a knife one day.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
You can sell them for a little of nothing. Guys use them to make chamber seaters and depth gauges. I've kept mine because I have aspirations of owning a lathe someday and we'll need some practice barrels.

This and some gun smiths cut them into short pieces use them to make thread protectors.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 08:49 PM

I have chunked a few of them because no one wanted them. They were all .270 and 30.06.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I like your style JG
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 09:25 PM

Someone could be interested in buying it depending on caliber, gun model, length, etc....

what is it?
Posted By: ETXbuckman

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/13/17 09:56 PM

Thanks for the information. I was afraid there may be some liability if I stuck it in the trash and someone pulled it out and used it for nefarious purposes. It's a stretch, yes, but people are crazy. I may just go ahead and put it up in the classifieds though.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/14/17 08:21 AM

If you are worried about it being used, then cut, torch it, drill it, give it a salt bath and let rust, whatever to make it useless as a gun barrel. Then put it in the recycling.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/14/17 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

My friend uses them to stake out tree's.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/14/17 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: ETXbuckman
Thanks for the information. I was afraid there may be some liability if I stuck it in the trash and someone pulled it out and used it for nefarious purposes. It's a stretch, yes, but people are crazy. I may just go ahead and put it up in the classifieds though.

No different than if you throw a 2" pipe in the trash and somebody takes it build pipe bones with.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/16/17 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Don't use a stainless barrel if you do. 416 stainless won't harden sufficiently to make a good blade.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/16/17 10:10 PM

I've got a ss 300 ultra mag barrel that I couldn't give away. confused2
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/16/17 10:14 PM

Some guys will use discarded barrels to fabricate muzzle brakes. Maybe there's someone around who could use that barrel.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/16/17 11:37 PM

Give it away. There's always somebody that will take them. It's pretty cheap for somebody to have one screwed on if there's is shot out
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/17/17 04:03 PM

Used one barrel to make 'wad knockers'. Hacksawed it into 6" pieces to drop down a shotgun barrel when a wad got stuck from a poor reload. Still have a model 70 barrel 30-06 I'd sell to someone that would pay the shipping on. Came off of the donor I turned into a 6.5x55.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/17/17 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

I like this idea.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/24/17 09:00 PM

sell for scrap
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/24/17 09:15 PM

First take the tin foil off your head then throw barrel in the trash can
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Rifle barrel disposal - 07/24/17 09:38 PM

Save it. You may want to put it back on that rifle. Stranger things have happened. confused2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum