Texas Hunting Forum

Recommendations on pocket .380's ?

Posted By: pdugas

Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 04:45 AM

Looking for recommendations on pocket .380. I'm looking for something that can be safely carried with round in chamber in a pocket holster . Ruger LCP , LCP Custom, LCP II , Khar CW 380 or ???
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 05:00 AM

I like my Ruger LCP. Very safe and light. But keep in mind it's double action only which means the trigger is used to pull back the hammer every time you fire it. While this makes it a safer gun, some folks prefer a gun that cocks the hammer after an initial shot.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 05:00 AM

Ruger LCP and Keltec 380 are the 2 I have carried in a wallet holster.

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

How's the trigger on the Keltec compared to the Ruger ?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 05:24 AM

I've got a Colt Govt 380, a Sig 238 and a LCP. The Colt and Sig shoot better and have better triggers but the LCP gets carried more because of its weight.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 12:06 PM

When I wanted an LCP, they were recalled many years ago. I got a Kel-Tec then. It is surprisingly accurate, thin, and small. Trigger pull is long, but not near as heavy as some revolvers.
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 12:21 PM

I've had Glock, Bersa, Bodyguard and LCP, all in .380. For a pocket pistol the LCP wins.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 12:26 PM

I'm sticking with a G42 as my small gun.

Had a LCP. Controlling that little pistol enough to maintain accuracy much beyond spitting distance was a chore for me. It can be done with careful hold/trigger control, etc. But I'm pretty sure that for most people (me included) all that goes out the window when it's needed. It's certainly better than nothing but I don't put it much beyond the class of a card-table gun. YMMV.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 12:26 PM

Taurus PT738 in a De Santis is my pocket rig. Lots of dirt in pockets check what every you carry regularly for function.
Posted By: pcernuch

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 01:01 PM

ive been carrying an lcp with the little knife clip on my waistband for years. no troubles.

god bless.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 01:33 PM

Lcp, little glock, little sig
Posted By: Cast

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 01:35 PM

Bersa Thunder rides with me. I carry that instead of my rarer Walther. They shoot about the same.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: pdugas
Originally Posted By: kmon1

How's the trigger on the Keltec compared to the Ruger ?

LCP trigger is a little better as is racking the slide but not a whole lot better.
Posted By: Okiedog

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 01:48 PM

I had a LCP and sent it back due to recall. Ruger still couldn't get it right. Sold it and got a Keltec P3AT. Very accurate and dependable, but not a fun gun to shoot.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 01:57 PM

Get that P3AT ported man! It tamed mine right now.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 02:21 PM

Had a gen 1 lcp. Trigger was horrible. I haven't tried the new ones but I went with a Sig p238 and haven't looked back.
Posted By: Kevin1

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 02:49 PM

I have a Kahr CM9. It's in 9mm, but I can pocket carry it with ease. It's definitely one of the best guns I've ever bought. Cheap, 100% reliable, and accurate. I'm sure the Kahr in .380 would be similar. At the same time, you might want to checkout the CM9 and see if going with a more potent caliber is an option.

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 02:55 PM

I shot a S&W Bodyguard. Worst trigger on any gun I've ever shot. I also shot a Glock 42. I was amazed at how well it shot and how accurate it was. I really liked it, but I think it's a little too big for pocket carry for me. From what I've been reading the latest LCP has a much better trigger and the slide locks back after the last round is fired. I had made up my mind to buy one. Then I read on some other site that it's unsafe to carry with a round in the chamber. Supposedly Ruger recommends it be carried with an empty chamber. That could be some " C.Y.O.A." written by some lawyer. Does anybody have any knowledge of this ?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin1
I have a Kahr CM9. It's in 9mm, but I can pocket carry it with ease. It's definitely one of the best guns I've ever bought. Cheap, 100% reliable, and accurate. I'm sure the Kahr in .380 would be similar. At the same time, you might want to checkout the CM9 and see if going with a more potent caliber is an option.

I looked at the CM9 the other day and really disliked the trigger. I settled on the Shield, even though it's a touch bigger.

If the Kimber Solo was reliable, I'd have one in a second. But I'm not going to carry a gun with such a history of poor reliability.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 03:07 PM

I carry an LCP Monday thru Friday in the pocket. By far the lightest and easiest to carry. I also have a Kahr PM40. Fits in a pocket, but is pretty heavy. Glock 43 as well but is much too large for a pocket.

I have a Colt Pony Pocketlight that I would carry, but they don't make them anymore and they're pretty rare.

I can't bring myself to carry cocked & locked in my pocket so that rules out some nice guns.

I would probably splurge on a Rohrbaugh 9mm if I could find one.

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Kevin1

I looked at the CM9 the other day and really disliked the trigger. I settled on the Shield, even though it's a touch bigger.

If the Kimber Solo was reliable, I'd have one in a second. But I'm not going to carry a gun with such a history of poor reliability.

I have a Kimber Custom II. Great pistol. I was going to buy a Solo when I got my CCW , but because of the unreliability of it, I went with a Glock 43. It eats ANYTHING I feed it.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 04:51 PM

If I had to carry a gun in my pocket at all times, it would be a Kahr CW380. It's super tiny but still shootable.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 05:21 PM

Walther PPK...
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 05:25 PM

I handled a bunch of them, and bought the Ruger LCP and the Taurus TCP in .380. I prefer the Taurus TCP in a size 2 Uncle Mikes pocket holster. There is no safety on the gun so I choose not to carry one in the pipe. It's comfortable and shoots good for what it is.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 08:36 PM

your budget is small so I would look at the NEW LCP or the SCCY

if you can swing a couple hundred more, the Kimber Micro's are the chit, supper crisp SINGLE action pull much better than any mentioned above. You might consider a revolver, never malfunction, like most semis do

yes of course everyone likes what they own and believe in

Most important, get something you WILL CARRY !!!

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 08:37 PM

sans Super Fly holster
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 08:43 PM

True. Get something you'll actually carry.
Personally, I don't want a light soft trigger on a pocket pistol. I was a heavy single action trigger in worse case scenario. I don't put anything in my pocket that my guns it but the gun and holster. Still, chit happens.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 10:52 PM

I have a P238 that I have been very happy with.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/20/17 11:25 PM

Sig P232.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 01:03 AM

I use to pocket carry a P238, but switched to a Ruger LCR .38.
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
your budget is small so I would look at the NEW LCP or the SCCY

if you can swing a couple hundred more, the Kimber Micro's are the chit, supper crisp SINGLE action pull much better than any mentioned above. You might consider a revolver, never malfunction, like most semis do

yes of course everyone likes what they own and believe in

Most important, get something you WILL CARRY !!!

Those look awesome! Noticed them recently online. Wife's been wanting a .380 for carry and been looking around for something she likes and have had a hard time. I'd spend the extra couple hundo just for the looks. Love to get one myself, but I need another pistol like I need a hole in....well, you know.

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 01:40 AM

Yes the Kimber Micro is definitely nice
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 01:47 AM

How similar is the Kimber Micro to a P238?
Posted By: Smittyb

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 03:02 AM

LCP II is like a different gun than the original. Better trigger, better sights, better grip, better all around.
They are well worth the money.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 03:14 AM

Another Taurus TCP (738B) owner. I tried both the TCP and the LCP and felt the TCP had a better set of features that included a slide lock after the last round. Also looked at the 3AT but didn't want a pistol without a slide lock; makes it tough to clear malfunctions. Have another TCP chambered in 32 Auto (732B) as does my wife.

They all have the Galloway Precision upgrades. I'm very pleased with them and I carry mine in a slide holster and also always have a double magazine pouch on the other side.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 03:21 AM

TCP
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
I handled a bunch of them, and bought the Ruger LCP and the Taurus TCP in .380. I prefer the Taurus TCP in a size 2 Uncle Mikes pocket holster. There is no safety on the gun so I choose not to carry one in the pipe. It's comfortable and shoots good for what it is.

same hear had the keltec 380 and hated it

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Another Taurus TCP (738B) owner. I tried both the TCP and the LCP and felt the TCP had a better set of features that included a slide lock after the last round. Also looked at the 3AT but didn't want a pistol without a slide lock; makes it tough to clear malfunctions. Have another TCP chambered in 32 Auto (732B) as does my wife.

They all have the Galloway Precision upgrades. I'm very pleased with them and I carry mine in a slide holster and also always have a double magazine pouch on the other side.

Any issues with ammo or feeding problems ?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 05:18 PM

I have a Kel Tec P-3AT. Wasn't reliable when I first got it. Sent it to KT. Had it back within 2 weeks and it has functioned flawlessly ever since. Owned it for 10 years now.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/21/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: pdugas
Any issues with ammo or feeding problems ?

None but I think I've only shot one box of factory ammo through it. Here are the first six shots. The point of aim is the box sights.

I designed a cast bullet for it and had a couple of custom molds made. I shoot a 100-grain, flat nose bullet and it shoots very well. I've killed a feral hog with it. Not a hog that was already down, but one that got close while I was hunting. I shot the 100-pound boar behind the shoulder once it turned quartering away at about 21'. The bullet knocked it down, it ran in place on its side for about three to five seconds, and it was dead. Here is a cast bullet target shot at 15' while I was learning the feel of the trigger reset.

And my load particulars, velocity is 965 FPS.

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/22/17 12:48 AM

Looks like it shoots really good .
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/24/17 12:22 AM

Glock 42

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/24/17 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Couzin
Glock 42

That was my first choice. I have a 43 I carry OWB. I really like it. I shot a 42 and couldn't believe how well it shot. I just thought it was a little too big to pocket carry .
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/24/17 03:14 AM

I have a Keltec P3AT with pocket clip. Killed a rattlesnake with it. I now have the newest generation of a Diamondback DB380 and I love it. No failures and is very accurate. I have a FIST IWB and a leather wallet style holster. It my shorts gun or as a back up to my 27.

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/24/17 03:49 AM

Not familiar with Diamondback. Who makes them ?
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/24/17 06:08 PM

I just got a Kahr CW380 and have fallen in love. Trigger and sights are 100 times better than the LCP.
Posted By: HankePanky

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/24/17 06:45 PM

I love my LCP, but am interested in trying a Kahr cw380 to compare.

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/25/17 02:34 AM

Glad to hear all the good post on the Kahr . I really like the way they look.

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/25/17 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Baylor_Bears
I just got a Kahr CW380 and have fallen in love. Trigger and sights are 100 times better than the LCP.

Any trouble with feeding or ejecting ? I have read that Kahr recommends 200 rd. break-in period. Some post I have read said that it was rough. Failure to feed or eject every couple rounds . Any truth to this ?
Posted By: KC

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 04/29/17 09:20 PM

I have a 2nd gen LCP. Trigger is great, at 10 yds I can keep all my shots in a softball size group. I made a kydex rig that carries it and a spare mag just like a wallet. Makes it easy to carry everywhere all the time.

Haven't played with the new LCP yet, but looks like they made some positive changes.
Posted By: gobblerslayer

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 05/22/17 10:21 PM

I carry a Kahr CW380 and love it. I carry mine in a IWB holster from MTR leather and forget its there.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Recommendations on pocket .380's ? - 05/22/17 10:28 PM

As a true pocket gun, I think the newer Ruger LCPs are hard to beat Tough, reliable, small, and inexpensive. If you just want a smaller pistol that shoots great and has bigger cartridge, I think the Glock 43 is where its at. I am not even a Glock guy, but I love the 43.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum