Texas Hunting Forum

Shotgun with barrel cut too short

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/25/17 09:19 PM

Lets say you knew someone that knew someone that might know where one is and they want to get rid of it. what would you tell them to do to get rid of it? Cut it up with a chopsaw? Throw it in a lake? Take it to police (wouldn't that mean you are in possession of it)? I just don't want to see anyone get in trouble and the gun itself isn't worth much. I honestly don't know what to tell them.

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/25/17 09:20 PM

Can you just put a pistol grip on it and call it a handgun?
Posted By: TexFlip

Take the barrel off and throw it in a dumpster.
Posted By: TexFlip

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

No
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/25/17 09:23 PM

Get caught with that, you'll end up in the pokey trading "you know whats" for cigarettes.

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/25/17 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Get caught with that, you'll end up in the pokey trading "you know whats" for cigarettes.

I quit smoking in 1998. clap
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/25/17 09:32 PM

Take the barrel off, chop it up, throw away the pieces. Order a new barrel.

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/25/17 09:38 PM

Old P.O.S. single shot. Doubt you could even find a barrel for it. As long as the gun is inoperable, it should be ok right? I say take a chopsaw with metal cutting blade and cut the thing into a few pieces and be done with it.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/25/17 11:56 PM

Leave it at the lease and don't use it. File for SBShotgun, I don't know.
Posted By: Scoutdog

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 12:07 AM

Dispose of barrel and save receiver. What brand/model is it? You may be able to find a replacement barrel with a little looking.

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 12:08 AM

It won't be in a vehicle with me, I won't even let it into my house, I looked at it outside. Told them to get it off my property after I measured it.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 12:14 AM

If the barrel is removed/destroyed then the receiver is legal. You can either buy a new barrel or destroy the receiver. I wouldn't recommend throwing it away because it could be found and reused by someone else. Or, make yourself a leg holster and carry it around "Mad Max" style, nobody's gonna question Mad Max.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 12:29 AM

Fill the barrel with lead and use it for a wallhanger.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 02:06 AM

Sell it to one of those gun buy back programs.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 02:06 AM

If it's an old beater, just destroy it. Supposedly the incident at Ruby Ridge was caused by a barrel 1/4" below legal. It's way, way, way too serious to have in possession or even on your property. Run, don't walk, on this one.
Posted By: Big A

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Fill the barrel with lead and use it for a wallhanger.

This is what I was going to say
Posted By: MClark

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 04:26 AM

Remove and cut barrel so it cannot be used.
Sell action to Numrich. There is a gunsmith somewhere needs a part from it.

M
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 05:41 AM

Weld an extension on the barrel and it could be legal. Otherwise, destroy the barrel and either buy a new barrel or sell the action.
Posted By: R.spencer

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 01:20 PM

Depending on how short it is. Have it threaded and put a long turkey choke tube on it and have it silver soldered in place to legal length
Posted By: janie

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 01:45 PM

Cut the barrel in pieces. I'd keep the receiver and install LED light's into it, or candles. Unique conversation piece. smile
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 01:57 PM

1" pvc glued to the end of the barrel. You're welcome
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 03:19 PM

Make a lamp out of it after making it inoperable.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Precision_Shooter
Make a lamp out of it after making it inoperable.

John Candy, the great outdoors. Classic.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 04:49 PM

Sledge Hammer time!!
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
If it's an old beater, just destroy it. Supposedly the incident at Ruby Ridge was caused by a barrel 1/4" below legal. It's way, way, way too serious to have in possession or even on your property. Run, don't walk, on this one.
I may be wrong, but I think it was the overall length that was short due to shortening the stock. As I said could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 07:57 PM

It won't be in a vehicle with me, I won't even let it into my house, I looked at it outside. Told them to get it off my property after I measured it.

Smart man. I wouldn't have touched the thing either.

My advice to whoever has it is to destroy it fast.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 07:57 PM

You are probably correct. I remember reading somewhere that the violation was due to a measurement error and was clearly unintentional, as who would deliberately cut to only 1/4 or 1/2" below legal minimum? The point to be made is that even the most minor unintentional infraction may be treated with draconian severity if you are unlucky.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/26/17 10:07 PM

Destroy it immediately as mere possession gets one 10 years in the pokey. If it is even seen by a federally licensed dealer or gunsmith they are required to report it or risk losing forfeiture of their license at a minimum. I used to work in a pawn shop. A fellow brought in a sawed off rifle that he had no idea was illegal. We had to call the police. Figured he'd turn and run but he just calmly waited for them to come and arrest him.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/27/17 03:39 AM

Local PD arrested him? Thats unusual, I would expect maybe he would forfeit the gun. Without any intent a case like that would be difficult to prosecute. BTW You won't get 10 years for possession, unless there are other crimes going on. Guidelines don't support that type of punishment.

Best way to fix shotgun barrel is to permanently attach an extension to make it legal length.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/27/17 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: glocker17
Local PD arrested him? Thats unusual, I would expect maybe he would forfeit the gun. Without any intent a case like that would be difficult to prosecute. BTW You won't get 10 years for possession, unless there are other crimes going on. Guidelines don't support that type of punishment.

Yep
Posted By: Earl

Re: Shotgun with barrel cut too short - 01/27/17 04:59 AM

That happened over 30 years ago. And yes, local PD arrested him. And I was talking of a rifle both the barrel and stock had been sawed off. It was not legal for either barrel length or overall length, and I'm sorry nothing has changed in 30 years when it comes to ignorance and the law. He was trying to sell/pawn it as a pistol. Earl

Originally Posted By: glocker17

Best way to fix shotgun barrel is to permanently attach an extension to make it legal length.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum