Texas Hunting Forum

What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ?

Posted By: ronlhodges

What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 05:24 AM

I've searched the forum and not finding an answer so thought I'd start this thread to find out what everyone is using for their duck hunting . I haven't been but hope to someday . I own a Franchi Affinity in wood , 12-ga , 3" chamber . But I've seen post in other forums wanting to know what's the best shotgun for duck hunting , is a 3-1/2" chamber necessary and what shot is used for duck hunting ?? So I thought maybe all here will help fill in info on what they use ? I've heard that #4, #5 or #6 will all work , what do you use ?
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 05:29 AM

There is no best answer that is really up to you. I personally like to hunt with a my Remington 1187 in 20 gauge with 3inch number 4s.

The right answer for you is not the right answer for me. If the gun fits you use it. Guys on here kill ducks with 410s, 28 gauges, 20 gauges and 12 gauges. Any 3 inch 4 or 6 shot shell will kill ducks. You should pattern your gun and then find a choke that you like and just go hunt.

Your Franchi will do just fine with 3 inch 4s.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 02:13 PM

I agree with Nate... I have a SBE2. I don't ever shoot 3 1/2's but every shotgun I have is chambered for them. Patternmaster extended range choke and hevi metal 4's is what I like to shoot. I shoot federal 4's as well... remember this if you purchase after market chokes, there is a lot of shells that use a flight controlled wad and some chokes are built to slow the wad down, like my pattern master. Pattern Master also recommends not shooting anything faster than 1550fps out of some of their chokes as well. Shoot what you like too. Everyone is partial to their gun.
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 02:36 PM

Shotguns are all about fit. The better it fits you the better it will shoot. If you can, get yourself to a store where you can shoulder a bunch of shotguns to find out which ones fit you best. How you determine fit in a store is to pick out a distant point in the store (safe direction), focus on that point and then quickly bring the shotgun to your shoulder. A good fitting shotgun should point to that point without you having to move it.

Another thing to consider is what type of duck hunting are you going to be doing? Is it going to be mostly pass shooting or are you going to be hunting decoying ducks? Timber or open water? The reason this is important is that if you are going to be doing a lot of pass shooting, then a shotgun that swings better will be a better choice. That means a shotgun with a bit more weight to it. I love the SBE and Franchi 48s but they are really hard to be able to make pass shots on for me because they are so light. My Browning Gold Hunter swings great for me and I use it for pass shooting and upland birds. The timber vs. open water question plays into chamber size as well. If you are going to be hunting primarily timber, your shots will be shorter and there is no need to use 3.5" shells. If you are going to be hunting open water, then you may want to have the 3.5" chamber as it will allow you to use that 3rd shot more effectively. For me, if I am hunting open water, I load two 3" shells with #4 steel and my last shot is a 3.5" shell with #4 hevi-shot.
Posted By: Judd

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 04:20 PM

I use a Benelli Vinci or a Beretta 391. You don't need 3.5" gun for anything, in my limited testingl they don't pattern as well as the 3" guns. I like using #6 shot but find it isn't quite big enough for big ducks, so I use #3.

One thing I've learned is speed kills when using steel shot. So use a fast shell. I hand roll some that are 2.75" and they are awesome but it's a pain and time consuming so lately I've shot the cheap Federals that run 1550 bps.

Good luck, have fun and be respectful of the other hunters. Seems we've had a push of selfish folks the last few years.

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 06:25 PM

Thanks for the great info and suggestions everybody . Probably gonna be next year before I get a chance but knowing info ahead of time is important to me . Funny how some other forums that are shotgun forums argue what they should use and yet most are like me and have never been but I always know I can get my answer here on THF ! Thanks again everyone !
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 06:29 PM

I shoot a Remington 870 Super Mag with a Kicks high flyer modified choke. I rarely shoot 3 1/2. I usually buy 3 inch number 2 or 4. It's never let me down and has be hauled and beat on. It's killed a pile of ducks and just keeps working.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 07:10 PM

3.5" Browning Cynergy MODB
partyon555
Posted By: David Maas

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 10:26 PM

If a 3 1/2" chamber was necessary, they wouldn't make steel shot in 28ga and 410.

Buy a aftermarket LM choke and some 3" #3 steel going 1450fps and kill all the ducks you want with that Franchi.

I shoot several 2 3/4" chambered 12ga guns and a 28ga Citori Lightning, ducks are just as dead.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 10:35 PM

I only shoot 3" shells and prefer #3 shot. I think 3.5" shells are a waste of money and the recoil is noticeably worse. I shoot a Beretta 390 or a Remington 870 12 ga.

The only time I would consider using 3.5's is if I was strictly goose hunting.
Posted By: 68A

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/26/16 11:18 PM

Beretta A300 or Mossberg 930. Patternmaster or Carlson's LM choke, 3" #3 or #4.

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/27/16 05:20 AM

Again , great info friends . Thanks for the extra info . Keep letting me know , this is interesting how mainly a 3" shot is used by most so far . Also is the shot size ranging from #3 to #6 . Very interesting !
Posted By: MS1454

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/27/16 01:45 PM

Your franchi is fine.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/27/16 01:46 PM

I shoot the softest shooting auto there is, a browning maxus grin

3 inch number 4 or later in the season I'll shoot 2s. During teal u use 4s as well.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/27/16 01:48 PM

Winchester SX3 here with a kicks improved choke and 3" #5's. If they're not 30 yds feet down I don't want to kill em
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/27/16 02:47 PM

Although my duck gun is a 3.5" I use 2 3/4 or 3" loads for ducks. I save the 3.5's for sandhill cranes because those suckers are tough.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/27/16 03:06 PM

I'm old and therefore cling to my antique guns. roflmao

I'm still using a Beretta A303 that I have owned for 20+ years. I don't load anything over 2.75". I've never seen the need. Ballistic Products has been my main source of components and load data for over 20 years and they continue to provide great products.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/30/16 04:56 AM

Franchi I-12
Posted By: BigPig

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/30/16 05:58 AM

Beretta 391 Extrema. Usually stick with Winchester DryLock 3 inch #4.

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 11/30/16 06:16 AM

Does anyone have or used the Beretta A350 Xtrema ? I think if I ever bought a synthetic stock that's one I wouldn't mind having .

Beretta A350 Xtrema
Posted By: D-Day

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/03/16 01:00 PM

Remington V3
Remington 870 with Pachmayer Decelerator
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/03/16 04:14 PM

Used an 870 Mag belonging to my buddy, sat and got snowed on and soaked to the bone for about three hours. First and last duck hunt. No thanks!
deer2
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/07/16 10:14 PM

I shoot a Beretta a400 becuase it does have less recoil and can shoot 3.5 inch shells incase the geese are out and I'm planning on doing Sandhill crane aswell
But for Teal I shoot 2 3/4 number #3 or #4s and big ducks I shoot 3 inch #2 or #3s
Posted By: huck18

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/07/16 10:49 PM

A300 or SBEII
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/08/16 04:02 AM

Browning BPS, 3" #2 shot.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/08/16 06:00 AM

I shoot an over under a lot, but mostly for Ducks I keep drifting back to my Ithaca Mag 10, IC choke with mostly store bought #2 steel, or reloads in #3 steel, or #5 hevi shot reloads. #2 Hevi Shot reloads sometimes big ducks. I have a Gold 10 for backup.
Posted By: langehaar

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/09/16 08:50 PM

BPS-10 #2's
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/10/16 10:45 AM

Benelli Nova pump
Posted By: Bbear

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/10/16 12:46 PM

Beretta Xtrema II 26" with 2 3/4 or 3" #4's.

Only time I shot 3.5" shells was when I first got the shotgun and a friend gave me a mixed bag of turkey/goose loads in 3.5" to 'break it in'. loco_too
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/11/16 03:01 AM

Remington V3
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/11/16 04:05 AM

I've got a Mossberg 500 12 gauge that I've owned since I was in my 20's. I know that shotgun like it is an extension of me. No problems knocking down ducks or dove or clays. I even put a slug barrel on it and kill deer and hogs. Not fancy but it has not once failed me. It even does home defense duty in the off season.
Posted By: booradley

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/11/16 05:10 AM

L4S, SA-08, SX3 and Maxus.
Posted By: P_102

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/12/16 01:22 PM

Franchi 720, 20 ga. and Winchester Model 12, 16 ga.

Shoot whatever feels best to you. P_102
Posted By: TxDox21

Re: What shotgun do you use for Duck Hunting ? - 12/18/16 07:31 PM

Baikal MP153 - has never failed me, but I am getting tired of lugging around a nearly 9lb shotgun.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum