Texas Hunting Forum

why have an ar pistol?

Posted By: Arrowslinger82

why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 03:11 PM

whats the pros and cons? looking to build or buy an ar... and didn't know if going the pistol route makes any sense
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 03:21 PM

Smaller than a rifle, depends on your intended purpose.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 03:21 PM

I don't see much point in it.
Posted By: Arrowslinger82

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 03:46 PM

home defense, plinker, hogs, the occasional doe if the wife wanted to shoot or something.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 03:57 PM

for that I would just go with a carbine sized AR.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: J McCoy
Smaller than a rifle, depends on your intended purpose.

Yep. Really they just exist to put a SIG brace on or SBR easily. You can keep it as a pistol, but they're really bad at doing nearly everything like that.

I'd just go with a regular AR for your purposes. Especially with hunting on your mind, the extra barrel length of a traditional rifle will give you much better ballistics.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 04:11 PM

Based on the design of the AR, I've never really seen the point. But I've always wanted to build one just for the heck of it.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 04:22 PM

It is my assumption that people build AR pistols for the cool factor and so when they go out to shoot on private property they can throw the upper on another lower and use it as an SBR without going through the correct process.

Mostly just to be cool though bc they have zero purpose IMO.
Posted By: booradley

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 05:00 PM

I know a guy that has an AK pistol. He uses it for hog hunting. Hasn't killed any hogs since I've known him.

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 05:54 PM

At least with an AK pistol there's no buffer tube.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 08:24 PM

I see no practical purpose. On top of that, they're too dang loud.
Posted By: rickym

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 08:27 PM

So you can tell yourself that your Mr cool cool
Posted By: MarkieMark

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 09:53 PM

Mine shoots great, quick target accusation and sighting. Accurate up to 200 yards. It's great for tactical purposes, not for long range shooting.
I'm just as good with my full size ar so like others said depends on what you gonna do with it.
Posted By: booradley

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: booradley
I know a guy that has an AK pistol. He uses it for hog hunting. Hasn't killed any hogs since I've known him.

Forgot to say it only has iron sights.
Posted By: specialed309

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 11:29 PM

Perfect for NV Hog hunting. Small lighter platform. All of my night hog hunts have been under 100 yards. Most being under 50 yards. I can count on 1 hand how many times I've shot over 70 yards at night.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 11:38 PM

What if you were looking for a compact truck rifle? Something more than a pistol? I think it would be ideal, plus you have many more rounds, if needed.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/04/16 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: specialed309
Perfect for NV Hog hunting. Small lighter platform. All of my night hog hunts have been under 100 yards. Most being under 50 yards. I can count on 1 hand how many times I've shot over 70 yards at night.

In what way is a pistol better than a standard carbine length AR for this purpose?

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

In what way is a pistol better than a standard carbine length AR for this purpose?
you see you put that soft end on the pistol buffer tube right on your chin then you can use your PVS-14s to acquire your target without the butt stock getting in the way haha
Posted By: kagomez85

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 01:37 AM

I love mine in 300 blk out. Seems to be my go to hog gun. Probably going to use it on some does this coming season. 10.5in barrel sure is handy in a tree stand..

Since I built this, I never grab a carbine out of the safe..
Posted By: kagomez85

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 01:39 AM

Shoots 125 grain Hornady Amax great by the way..

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: kagomez85
I love mine in 300 blk out. Seems to be my go to hog gun. Probably going to use it on some does this coming season. 10.5in barrel sure is handy in a tree stand..

Do you shoot that thing from the shoulder or strap it on your arm? I keep toying with building a pistol with one of the stabilizers but they seem kinda flimsy and gimmicky.

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
Originally Posted By: kagomez85

Do you shoot that thing from the shoulder or strap it on your arm? I keep toying with building a pistol with one of the stabilizers but they seem kinda flimsy and gimmicky.
admitting he places the SIG brace on his shoulder like a butt stock I believe would be a felony for not using it for its intended purpose.
Posted By: Nighteagle

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 03:27 AM

How is a super light weight tiny AR that fits in a breifcase and can be deployed like a pistol in a vehicle not a good idea...
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
What if you were looking for a compact truck rifle? Something more than a pistol? I think it would be ideal, plus you have many more rounds, if needed.

Exactly. Driving around the farm and see a group of pigs and try getting a normal AR out the window vs an ar pistol. It's perfect for that and yes it happens fairly often out here.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 04:30 AM

I have an SBR in 300blk with an 8.2" barrel so it's definitely a short rifle. I like that I can put the suppressor on it and it ends up the same length as my 300blk with a 16" barrel. It's not loud since it shoots 300blk. The short length makes it great for a ranch truck rifle or using it in a stand. I never take the 16" 300blk out of the safe anymore. I've shot a 5.56 pistol without a suppressor and that was VERY loud. I don't even want to be around one of those again.

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 12:18 PM

Dont disagree on the shortness benefit of a pistol. I just kinda question the functionality compared to a SBR. Seems like if a short AR15 is needed/desired a SBR is the best option. I suppose if you dont have $200, dont have time to wait, cant get approved, or dont want to register a NFA item, then a pistol makes sense?
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym

There are many regular AR owners who fit into that category.

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: rickym

There are many regular AR owners who fit into that category.
same can be said for long range custom rifles, 1911's, and on and on and on. I prefer a good looking, reliable, well made, functional AR.
Posted By: Gwood88

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 01:43 PM

Concealed carry bro! For when I don't feel like packing the .380!
Also none of that weak .223! 10in barreled .308! Who needs hearing anyway!

In all seriousness, they are cool but they kind of took a hit whenever the ability to shoulder them was taken away. That's why I am building an SBR.
Posted By: specialed309

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

1). Small
2). Light
3). Short range shots
Why lug around more weight then you need especially if you are spotting and stalking for 8-10 hours a night?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/05/16 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
Dont disagree on the shortness benefit of a pistol. I just kinda question the functionality compared to a SBR. Seems like if a short AR15 is needed/desired a SBR is the best option. I suppose if you dont have $200, dont have time to wait, cant get approved, or dont want to register a NFA item, then a pistol makes sense?

Yup
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/07/16 03:22 AM

Because you have the right to and you can.
Posted By: Earl

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/07/16 05:45 AM

Well it would seam to me that it would offer the cheapest path to an SBR if someone is wanting to go that route - and allow you to play with it too. If you buy an SBR directly - you got nothing to play with while your Form is being processed. If you bought a rifle, then you are more than likely looking at buying a complete upper when you get your form - more $$$. If you buy a pistol AR, all you have to do is put on your carbine tube, buffer and stock and throw on your vertical grip of choice when the form comes in...the best reason for me though in such things (though I don't have a pistol AR15, I do have an MPX and a Z5P) - they are friggin fun! Not to mention anytime there is a group of people out there that thinks I shouldn't have something, that just makes me want it smile
Posted By: Elliot

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/09/16 12:41 AM

You can take an AR pistol across state lines without the ATF's permission.
Posted By: NOLA101

Re: why have an ar pistol? - 04/18/16 02:53 PM

I see the purpose if you are planning on suppressing it. Makes for a really long gun when you have a 16 inch barrel and throw an 8 or 9 inch can on the end of it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum