Texas Hunting Forum

reccomend a pistol

Posted By: caddokiller

reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 12:28 AM

I need something for my wife to keep in her night stand by the bed. Hopefully she will never have to shoot this pistol except a couple of times at the range to familiarize herself with it. She has a carry pistol she loves already and shoots quite a bit. She wants a 9mm thats not huge but still holds a few rounds. I dont want to spend a lot on this particular gun but I do want something simple and RELIABLE. No wheel guns as she says they feel weird and she doesn't shoot them well.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 12:32 AM

Glock 19
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 12:33 AM

M&P 9mm would hands down be my choice.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 12:40 AM

if she wants something small she'll like the Ruger LC9S 9mm
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 12:43 AM

Sig P226 or G19, night sights on either one.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 12:47 AM

Any reliable 9mm that she's comfortable shooting. My wife hates the XDS, Glock 26 and 19, XD service.....Pretty much every handgun we tried until I traded for a Kahr PM9. I don't care for it. She loves that gun and she can use it effectively, so that's what stays with her. Yours might be different.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 12:50 AM

Stoeger Cougar.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Any reliable 9mm that she's comfortable shooting. My wife hates the XDS, Glock 26 and 19, XD service.....Pretty much every handgun we tried until I traded for a Kahr PM9. I don't care for it. She loves that gun and she can use it effectively, so that's what stays with her. Yours might be different.

Exactly the same with my wife, she prefers a single stack magazine. We must have tried out 6 or 7 different 9mm before she shot the Kahr.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 01:46 AM

Sig 229, S&W Shield or M&P
Posted By: huntwest

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 02:07 AM

Go shoot a Walther CCP at a range. You will be sold.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 02:17 AM

There's something wrong with your thinking: Why should she only shoot it a few times? She should be pouring lead out of it.

That being said, get her a 1911. If 10 rounds aren't enough, get her a RIA or Para double stack.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 02:18 AM

Kimber micro, 9mm coming this year.

sig p390
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 02:47 AM

There almost endless options for a simple and reliable pistol.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 02:49 AM

Shield, M&P or G19
Posted By: booradley

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 02:58 AM

Take her to a store and let her try several differnt pistols. You might be surprised. We sell a bunch of Ruger SR9C's to women because they like the grips better than Glock, Smith, etc. But you never know. My daughter picked a Stoeger Cougar, not based on price, but because of how it felt in her hand. She does have unusually large hands for a women. The biggest mistake you can make is picking the firearm for her.
Posted By: rickym

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 03:25 AM

Lc9 or the cougar. Cougar is a bit bigger but she could easily shoot it in a .40 also if she wanted. Not as much recoil as most .40s
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Kimber micro, 9mm coming this year.

sig p390

I don't think I'd trust my family's life with a gun that's "coming this year."
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Originally Posted By: booradley
Take her to a store and let her try several differnt pistols. You might be surprised. We sell a bunch of Ruger SR9C's to women because they like the grips better than Glock, Smith, etc. But you never know. My daughter picked a Stoeger Cougar, not based on price, but because of how it felt in her hand. She does have unusually large hands for a women. The biggest mistake you can make is picking the firearm for her.

Best advice yet. Just go to a show or store with plenty of selection. I've made the mistake of buying a gun for the wife thinking she would love it and she didn't.

If I had to throw a couple out to consider based on the OP's post, I'd say the S&W Shield and Beretta Nano.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 04:00 AM

Browning HiPower
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 04:03 AM

Kimber Micro Carry, about to hit the market in 9mm
Posted By: kmon11

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 04:06 AM

Good advice, better would be a range that rents a bunch of different ones she could try.
Posted By: Scoutdog

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: caddokiller
She has a carry pistol she loves already and shoots quite a bit.

What does she have for a carry pistol? If it meets her criteria, why not get a second one and leave it at home? If nothing else, I'd look for a pistol that fits and functions similarly to what she already has.
Posted By: booradley

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

Good advice, better would be a range that rents a bunch of different ones she could try.

I should have added your advice to the end of my post. I do believe in handling a number of firearms first and then renting the ones you like best. It can get pretty expensive renting guns.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 02:05 PM

yep.. let her pick it, if she doesn't like it (for whatever reason)she will never shoot it.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 04:51 PM

guns for her to consider when you take her to a mega shop...

Glock 19
Glock 43
Smith & Wesson Shield in 9mm
Springfield Armory XDS in 9mm
Sig P938
Sig P320
Walther CCP
Walther PPQ
Posted By: caddokiller

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Scoutdog
Originally Posted By: caddokiller
She has a carry pistol she loves already and shoots quite a bit.

What does she have for a carry pistol? If it meets her criteria, why not get a second one and leave it at home? If nothing else, I'd look for a pistol that fits and functions similarly to what she already has.

She has a springfield EMP and I do not want to spend that kind of money on a gun for the nightstand.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 07:39 PM

If it has to be a 9mm 1911, you could always look at Rock Island. I know, some folks hate them.
Posted By: Dien

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 08:48 PM

SVI Tiki 2011 3.75" barrel - 16 rounds of 9mm and slimmer then their single stack

Or just buy a Glock/S&W
Posted By: MarkieMark

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/27/16 11:22 PM

Sig P938 9mm or a Sig P238 .380. I prefer the 938
Posted By: TDK

Re: reccomend a pistol - 01/28/16 05:42 PM

Cz75 compact
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum