Texas Hunting Forum

Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700

Posted By: GPS

Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/26/14 03:28 PM

Friend I knew needed some money so I bought his Remington 700 in 7MM Mag. He had the trigger set to go off at with a gentle breeze. The trigger assembly doesn't have the hex screw, so I can't adjust it myself.

I am looking for a good gunsmith that can help me tighten up the pull weight on this rifle. Send me a PM or reply to this post. I live in Flower Mound, but I will travel.

Thanks
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 03:54 AM

Send it back to Remington for the recall, it will return with a much heavier trigger than described. Or do like a LOT of others and install a Timney
Posted By: toolman

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 05:03 AM

I can do it for you if you ever come through Abilene.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Send it back to Remington for the recall, it will return with a much heavier trigger than described. Or do like a LOT of others and install a Timney
THIS
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 09:15 AM

Timney

All about guns in lewisville

Larry Prockus in ponder area

S and S precision
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 03:03 PM

Put a Timney in it.

Lives depend on it.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 03:09 PM

The triggers changed, how old is the rifle? The old triggers had issues.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 03:20 PM

Life's to short to hunt with any mfg factory trigger

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 03:40 PM

I don't think the trigger changed over time. The guy I bought the gun from told me he had it adjusted. It's just way to light for me.

I looked at the Timmey sight, I may go that route.

Thanks
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

True cept for Tikka triggers. They are sweet!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 11:01 PM

PLEASE, do yourself a favor and get a after market trigger, its worth the $200+/-
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/27/14 11:02 PM

Anything SAKO Rocks !!!
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/28/14 01:46 AM

Yup.

Just got the wife her first "only hers" rifle, brand new T3 in 7mm-08 Rem. Changed out the factory Tupperware stock with a Bell and Carlson full aluminum bedding block stock, mounted up a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 BDC SF scope, new sling and case. I basically made a clone of my T3 in .30-06.

The trigger however, did NOT have to be touched.

Perfect right out of the box. up

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/28/14 03:35 PM

Greg: read up on the Remington triggers:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/forums/guns/rifles/centerfire/remington-model-700-triggermisfire-issues
I'm not sure the exact year they changed but the old style could have troubles, if you had the gun on safety and pulled the trigger, when you took the safety off it could fire, or in putting a round into chamber, it could fire as you closed the bolt. That was the old style trigger. And- very rare occurrence but remotely possible.

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/30/14 03:42 PM

Thanks everyone, You have now scared the holy crap out of me. I am going to change the entire assembly!

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/30/14 05:33 PM

On the old Remington the pull wasn't supposed to go under 3 1/2 pounds. So...if you like a 2 1/2 pound pull you really have to get an aftermarket trigger. If you search the net you might find surplus X Mark Pro triggers, sometimes for only about $25 and I think they are fine, no troubles unless part of the recent recall. As I understand the new Remington X-Mark Pro can be put into the earlier Remington but I've not done it.
Even with the old Remington, you don't have to panic. When I was a kid I hunted with a lever action with no round in the chamber- I'd chamber/lever in a round as I raised to shoot at a moving deer. When I got to stand hunting with a bolt- that's when I started keeping a live round in the chamber and using the safety. After a while I started relying more and more on the safety and that's not good with any gun. If you are in a duck blind or deer stand- fine but once you move from spot to spot- think about unloading the live round from the chamber. A lot of accidents in climbing over fences, getting in and out vehicles and boats- no accidents if there isn't a live round in the chamber.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Trigger adjustment needed - Rem 700 - 10/30/14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

True cept for Tikka triggers. They are sweet!
this, I would mention another, but would get hate mail duel
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum