Texas Hunting Forum

recomended gun choice

Posted By: eddie4529

recomended gun choice - 10/21/14 01:24 AM

thinking about getting a new rifle around thanksgiving and had a couple guns that caught my eye and just want a couple of opinions on my options came up with these 6 guns
remington r25
tikka t3
savage 111
remington 700
mossberg night train
mossberg mvp flex

recomended calibers for these guns are greatly appreciated, the guns purpose will be for hogs deer goats etc
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/21/14 01:31 AM

I loved my Savage 111. Had to sell it due to divorce(which created $ issues) along with many others. Once I get back to normal, I will be going on a gun buying spree, and the Savage will be in the top two to re-purchase. Mine was a 270.
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/21/14 04:47 PM

Tikka
Savage

Mossberg
Remington

In that order...
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/21/14 04:59 PM

My order would be:

Savage
Weatherby (very close second)
Remington
Mossberg

(Never owned or shot a Tikka so I didn't put it in the list)

Hogs, deer, goats, .243 will do the job. If you want to hunt something bigger down the road, .308 is perfect.

If I were to buy a rifle today and keep it completely stock, not change a thing, it would be the Savage 10 Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. Comes with accutrigger which can be set to 2 lbs and accustock which does not need to be bedded. What more can a hunter ask for?

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/22/14 06:51 AM

oh ok thanks for the opinion, i had expected more of the mossberg and remington but thats why i got other opinions!
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/22/14 11:55 AM

Tikka/Remington
Weatherby
Savage

Mossberg
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/22/14 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: amateur hunter
thinking about getting a new rifle around thanksgiving and had a couple guns that caught my eye and just want a couple of opinions on my options came up with these 6 guns
remington r25
tikka t3
savage 111
remington 700
mossberg night train
mossberg mvp flex

recomended calibers for these guns are greatly appreciated, the guns purpose will be for hogs deer goats etc

What's your budget?

Tikka - I love everything but the stock and it'd need to be replaced.
Weatherby Vanguard II

In a bolt action I would look at 7-08, 6.5x55 swede, 260, 6.5 Creedmoor

As for an AR I would look at DPMS in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have one and it has shot 5 shot groups at .75 and also hit metal with it out to 600 yards.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/22/14 01:15 PM

Tikka T3 in .270 or 30-06. Put it in a Bell & Carlson stock from Stocky Stocks and you are good to go for everything in North America except the big bears.

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/23/14 06:24 AM

budget isnt too much of an issue after going to dpms website and seeing their selection of ars definately getting one from them in 6.5 creedmor, one question how difficult is it finding this ammo
Posted By: Loaded

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/23/14 06:32 AM

budget isnt too much of an issue after going to dpms website and seeing their selection of ars definately getting one from them in 6.5 creedmor, one question how difficult is it finding this ammo

You won't find it on the shelf at Walmart or Academy that's for sure. You can find it at some gun stores and online, but unless you reload it is fairly expensive compared to a lot of other choices for the LR-308 platform.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/23/14 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Loaded

You won't find it on the shelf at Walmart or Academy that's for sure. You can find it at some gun stores and online, but unless you reload it is fairly expensive compared to a lot of other choices for the LR-308 platform.

As said above you will have a hard time finding ammo. If it were me I would choose a caliber that can be found just about everywhere in the US from Academy/Walmart to a small country store. I would also select a caliber with a wide range of bullet weights available and is easily reloaded.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/23/14 02:04 PM

T3 in 7mm -08, .308, .270, .30-06. I just bought one in 7mm -08 for my wife. As Geezer said, put it in a B&C stock. You'll like it. A lot.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/23/14 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Geezer Ranger
Originally Posted By: Loaded

As said above you will have a hard time finding ammo. If it were me I would choose a caliber that can be found just about everywhere in the US from Academy/Walmart to a small country store. I would also select a caliber with a wide range of bullet weights available and is easily reloaded.

Went to Cabelas and they had a bunch of Hornady loaded with the A-Max bullet and SST. If I need to buy ammo I buy from Cabelas because Academy never, and I mean NEVER, has the ammo I need and Walmart sells cheap stuff. Cheap stuff is fine but why not get factory ammo with a premium bullet? Just my opinion which is not worth a whole lot...
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/23/14 10:47 PM

Tikka
Weatherby
Savage
Posted By: J.G.

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/24/14 12:54 AM

Tikka T-3 in 260 Rem or 7mm-08.

Had one bone stock in 7mm-08, worked up a load subMOA and ran it to the end of the range at will.

Also worked up a load for a T-3 in 243. Held three in 1/2" and five in 3/4".
Posted By: MS1454

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/24/14 01:29 PM

Marlin xl7
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/24/14 02:14 PM

It hasn't been too difficult...Cabelas almost always has it.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/24/14 03:05 PM

So does academy
Posted By: firestick

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/24/14 05:34 PM

Howa Ranchland 308. I currently have Remington's, Weatherby's, Winchester's, a Browing and a Savage(just don't have it in me to sell any)and all excellent rifles. The Howa out preforms them all. The Remmy 700's have the smoothest action but are the least accurate. I liked my Howa so much I bought one for my 9 year old granddaughter a 243 Howa. She got her first deer last season with it. Both will shoot 1/2" or better with off the shelf ammo. Mostly Hornady ammo.
Posted By: senko86

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/26/14 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Tikka/Remington
Weatherby
Savage

Mossberg
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/26/14 11:15 PM

Has anyone ever said anything negative about a Howa?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/27/14 01:54 AM

There are many good choices. My favorite all time rifle is my Sako in 270. Favorite new rifle is Tikka T3 in 260. And I like the Ruger Hawkeye that I have. But if I lost all my rifles and had to get one new one to cover all the bases, and if I couldn't afford the Sako, for a hunting gun I'd get a Tikka T3 in stainless in 270. As for the scope, I just flat don't know what I'd do. It would take me a long time to decide. So many options out there.
Posted By: SakoHunter84

Re: recomended gun choice - 10/27/14 02:50 AM

Tikka. I've owned at least one rifle from every major maker at one time or another and have settled on sako. Tikka is right there with them as far as quality.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum