Texas Hunting Forum

Scope Rings and Bases

Posted By: Gone to Texas

Scope Rings and Bases - 09/23/14 09:24 PM

Being somewhat new to shooting, it can be overwhelming at times when searching for a piece of equipment. On my last scope I went cheap on the rings and it was a mistake. Scope came loose after 20 rounds of .243, thats how weak the rings were.

I just shelled out some money for a nice scope for my new 6.5 Creedmoor and the last thing I want to do is scratch the thing up. What scope rings do y'all recommend and what kind of mounts? I have read that Talley one piece mounts are nice and was considering those but I am willing to spend more for something nicer. This is a hunting rig so I don't need competition quality, just something dependable.

The scope is a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 with a 30mm tube.

Also, do I need medium height scope rings for this? I am worried the scope will be too big for the bolt to operate. The rifle is a savage action with a light varmint barrel.

Thanks everyone!
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Scope Rings and Bases - 09/23/14 09:30 PM

Next time I set up a hunting rifle, I'm going to get a DNZ one piece mount on it.
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Scope Rings and Bases - 09/23/14 09:33 PM

Seekins rings and base.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Scope Rings and Bases - 09/23/14 10:15 PM

Did you mount everything yourself or have experienced help mounting that scope and rings? It's hard to buy truly "bad" rings these days, unless maybe they're from The Dollar Store or were $1.99 off E-bay. Sure, there are some better than others, designed for magnum recoil, etc, but I've never mounted a set of truly "bad" bases and rings. "Not so finished and a bit clunky?" Yes. Truly "bad?" No.

I ask that because you say you're inexperienced. What rings and bases did you use that were bad? It may be something wrong with the mounting procedure and you'll end up with the same same problem regardless the mounting system you spring for.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Scope Rings and Bases - 09/23/14 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Did you mount everything yourself or have experienced help mounting that scope and rings? It's hard to buy truly "bad" rings these days, unless maybe they're from The Dollar Store or were $1.99 off E-bay. Sure, there are some better than others, designed for magnum recoil, etc, but I've never mounted a set of truly "bad" bases and rings. "Not so finished and a bit clunky?" Yes. Truly "bad?" No.

I ask that because you say you're inexperienced. What rings and bases did you use that were bad? It may be something wrong with the mounting procedure and you'll end up with the same same problem regardless the mounting system you spring for.

Yeah, I think I didn't put them on tight enough because I was worried about damaging the scope. I bought a fat boy torque wrench and new Warne rings, now the scope is not going anywhere. Put 100 rounds through since and everything is working great.

The cheap set I bought were Accushot rings. I just threw them out when I bought the Warne set.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Scope Rings and Bases - 09/23/14 11:06 PM

I've never even heard of "Accushot" and I've mounted thousands of scopes. (not literally "mounted", get your minds out of the gutter people) The best thing you bought was that Wheeler Fat Boy torque wrench. You'll do OK now, it comes with a torque guide for different size screws, rings, and bases that is pretty spot on. Best of luck to you. Warne makes a good set of rings.

edited to add: And in all honesty, you probably did the right thing. A truly CHEAP set of rings can damage a scope. I'm glad you got it worked out. Shoot often shoot safe.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Scope Rings and Bases - 09/24/14 12:18 AM

I've had some free rings from Pride Fowler that were cheap Chinese rings. I torqued them and they snapped. The base snapped, not the screw.

I usually use Burris XTR rings. Great rings for a decent price. Last set I put on were Weaver 3 hole rings, but those were for a .22LR bolt action so it was overkill there. Had to use a file on them for a couple of tiny burrs. I wouldn't put the Weaver on an expensive scope without lapping the rings first.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Scope Rings and Bases - 09/24/14 04:20 AM

DNZ mounts are all I use. No need to lap your rings and very solid mount.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Scope Rings and Bases - 09/24/14 04:56 AM

Aint a dang thing wrong with the Talley LIghtweights. Lap them if you're worried about scratching the scope. Or listen to 1,000 guys say why you don't have to.

Either way, I lap all mine now. Because, why not.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Scope Rings and Bases - 09/24/14 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
Aint a dang thing wrong with the Talley LIghtweights. Lap them if you're worried about scratching the scope. Or listen to 1,000 guys say why you don't have to.

Either way, I lap all mine now. Because, why not.
the 1000 guys that say you don't have to...HAVE NEVER CHECKED to see if the rings are true....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum