Texas Hunting Forum

Cheaper than dirt guns!

Posted By: Arrowslinger82

Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 12:56 AM

I just happened to see this store in round rock. Wasn't sure if it's open yet or not. Anybody been there or know if it has opened yet?
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 12:59 AM

They will never get a dime of my money. They are the first to cash in on a tragedy. Some call it capitalism, but that's debatable.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:04 AM

CTD can go bankrupt for all I care.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:11 AM

I agree with the previous statements; even before the craze they were one of the highest places to buy anything!
Posted By: JCB

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:12 AM

Wouldn't pizz on them if they were on fire!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Loaded

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:16 AM

They need to change their name. They have a store here in McKinney, but I personally will not do business with them.
Posted By: Fishing Fester

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:16 AM

Everyone here summed up my opinions! I would pizz on em if they were on fire, but only if I was drinking gasoline!!!!!!
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:21 AM

I hadn't heard CTD mentioned around here in a while. They can sit and spin.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishing Fester
Everyone here summed up my opinions! I would pizz on em if they were on fire, but only if I was drinking gasoline!!!!!!

You got a lot of hate in your heart! Lol.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:49 AM

Lol
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:52 AM

looked still under construction when I found it, but I agree with others here too expensive and to eager to cash in

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 01:57 AM

They exist for golfers and fishermen that decide to buy firearms and ammunition on a whim. They are not there for real hunters and shooters that have the knowledge to call bs on their products and their pricing of said products.
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 02:09 AM

CTD has zero scruples.
Posted By: WhoDat

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 02:09 AM

That's near me... last I checked, I think it was slated for October?

Didn't really notice their pricing, during the panic. But I heard they were gouging. All things being equal, I'd rather support a vendor who didn't gouge. Having said that, since they're setting up so close to me, I'm sure I'll browse their stuff. If it's reasonably-priced, I may even buy something.

Was in a LGS this weekend in Hill Country, and about to buy a near $1,000 piece of glass that I'd been lusting for. I was on the fence as it was such a big chink of change, and I had a few other priorities. As I was mulling it over, and the shopkeeper was dropping the price, I asked "how much for that brick of Remington 22?" He said "$80", which pretty much gave me pause. 22 has been easier to find, and I had just bought one of those same bricks for $21.99 at Academy, a couple days ago. I thanked him, and walked out without the scope.

Sort of how I feel about these gougers. I'll try to stay away from them, but with Cheaper than Dirt setting up so close to me, I know I'll look. But I won't likely buy anything, unless they drop the price insanely low. On the other hand, I'll pay a significant bump to buy from a local gun shop who priced fairly during the panic, and does so now. I realize that small shops can't compete with behemoths, and support them for what they do. So I'm OK with paying a 5-10% bump, to keep them around.

And, to be honest, if they have some powders than have been impossible to find... heck, they may just gouge me a bit. "Power to the people" and all, but some powders have been a bear to find. Still, I'd rather buy it elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Arrowslinger82
I just happened to see this store in round rock. Wasn't sure if it's open yet or not. Anybody been there or know if it has opened yet?

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: WhoDat
I'm sure I'll browse their stuff. If it's reasonably-priced, I may even buy something.

I'll try to stay away from them, but with Cheaper than Dirt setting up so close to me, I know I'll look. But I won't likely buy anything, unless they drop the price insanely low.

So which is it?
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 02:26 AM

Agree with everyone else, none of my money is going to ctd.
Posted By: MuddyWater

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 02:29 AM

They ain't worth killin. And that's pretty low. They had a an add on slickguns.com a couple of weeks ago and if I remember correct (but could be wrong on the price. Either way it was astronomical. ) for 3000 rounds of 22lr for 999.00.
Posted By: WhoDat

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 02:30 AM

I'd love to say I'll stay away, on principal... But I have trouble resisting places that have lots of guns and are minutes from my house.

I'll probably browse there, a lot... but I won't buy anything that isn't actually dirt cheap. I'd rather spend more, at an LGS that's alway priced fairly.

But all bets are off if they have a powder that I need.... in that case, I may buy a pound, or several. Really, powders are still the weak link around here. Components aren't as hard to find, heck even Academy is carrying them. But some powders are still tough to find.

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: WhoDat
I'm sure I'll browse their stuff. If it's reasonably-priced, I may even buy something.

I'll try to stay away from them, but with Cheaper than Dirt setting up so close to me, I know I'll look. But I won't likely buy anything, unless they drop the price insanely low.

So which is it?

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 02:39 AM

I've had them 8 miles away in McKinney since they built there. Been in twice prior to the price gouging; never since. Find other sources of supplies if you want to stand on principle.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 02:44 AM

I've had them 8 miles away in McKinney since they built there. Been in twice prior to the price gouging; never since. Find other sources of supplies if you want to stand on principle.

I no longer shop at any of the stores that participated in the price gouging on guns and ammo which includes a lot of locally owned gun stores here in Tucson. They would send their employees to big stores, buy up all the ammo, and then resale it at 2-300% mark up or more. If they want to mark up their ammo, fine, it is a free country, but when they hord all the ammo on the market and then mark it up, that pizzes me off!
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 02:44 AM

Didn't they pull online gun sales during the madness?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 03:29 AM

Glad to see everyone else here feels the same way I do. up

When the craze was in full swing, there were several threads on here where I was called out for being anti-free enterprise for saying exactly what others have stated here. Funny how things change. rolleyes

I personally got burned by CTD in the beginning of the original craziness back in '08. It may sound like sour grapes but I was glad to see the store in Fort Worth close down. Apparently they've opened up another store called "Fort Worth Gun" off of Eastchase Parkway. From what I hear it's smaller but they still have crack-smokingly high pricing on most of their stuff. I won't go there either.
Posted By: centurion2000

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 06:41 AM

They are down the road from me. I make it a point to browse for something in there to get a feel for it in my hands and then order elsewhere. In 2011/2012 I'd spent a few thousand in there [pistols and receivers]. Now? Never again.

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 11:06 AM

For me it wasn't the "price gouging" that pizzed me off.......it was that they didn't honor the prices on their website after my order was placed. And no the prices were not misprints either. They just decided they could get more for the items by canceling my order and selling them for a higher price when the panic set in.

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 11:07 AM

I still let them send me their catalogs though that way it costs them the postage to do so.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 12:10 PM

They exist for golfers and fishermen that decide to buy firearms and ammunition on a whim. They are not there for real hunters and shooters that have the knowledge to call bs on their products and their pricing of said products.

Dude...come on! I'm a golfer! Well actualy I used to be a golfer but still!

And no I will never do business with them. A friend told me about them years ago, a non-golfer! And I went by to check it out. When I saw their prices I simply turned and walked out. They were a joke back then and apparently still are today. The name sure makes them sound good and if you do not know what you're doing you'll spend way too much there!

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 12:36 PM

And I'm a fisherman. But I'm more of a shooter than a fisherman and I can recognize that they are crooks.

It was a joke...
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 03:35 PM

CTD can go bankrupt for all I care.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 03:57 PM

Ditto to all that was said.

This is America and they can make their choices and hide behind bs "moral high ground" all they want. It's their prerogative.
In turn, I choose to not show loyalty to a company that shows none in return. For example On the flip side SWFA maybe not always be the least expensive, but they've been real good to me and in turn I don't even really shop around the scope and scope accessories anymore.

They may not care whether they lost me forever, i don't care if they go down. We all have to live the choices we make.
Posted By: senderoman

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 04:46 PM

Didn't know the Fort Worth store closed.That will tell you how much business I do with them
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: senderoman
Didn't know the Fort Worth store closed.That will tell you how much business I do with them

They dont go under the CTD name anymore but still there in the same place i do believe.
Posted By: Arrowslinger82

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 05:32 PM

Wow I didn't know they did that. I just got back into guns this year after being strictly bowhunting aside from shotgunning. I won't be shopping there either now that I know.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 06:00 PM

Had no clue. Never went in the store before. Refuse to ever go in there.

The B&M stores are franchises. They can set their own price separate from the online site. Hence why prices are never the same.
Posted By: rarjar

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 06:03 PM

Several years ago, I used to order occasionally from them until they did the price gouging thing. Since then I've had them blocked from both my personal and company email.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
I still let them send me their catalogs though that way it costs them the postage to do so.

Good bathroom reading. That's all those catalogs are good for.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 07:13 PM

The only way I'm spending any money with them in the future is if it's at a going out of business sale!
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
The only way I'm spending any money with them in the future is if it's at a going out of business sale!

You'd probably still find better prices at other stores...
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 08:17 PM

I'll avoid them unless they have a stupid sale on something.

I had a LGS try to sell me a scope for a 22. They wanted $149 + tax; Amazon would put it in my mailbox for $102. They tried to tell me it was a fair price. They also tried to sell me a Ruger 10/22 for $389 that Bud's had for $313. Hell, even Gander Mountain had it for $349. Now I don't mind paying a bump for locals, but don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 08:40 PM

And I'm a fisherman. But I'm more of a shooter than a fisherman and I can recognize that they are crooks.

It was a joke...

Yep... I know but I couldn't let all golfers get indicted! Lol
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Cheaper than dirt guns! - 09/19/14 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977

They dont go under the CTD name anymore but still there in the same place i do believe.

Negative. No store anymore in that location. They changed the name and are now on Eastchase Parkway to the north of I-30.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum