Texas Hunting Forum

M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide

Posted By: Mook

M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/17/14 04:10 PM

My wife is telling me to pick out a Father's Day / birthday/Christmas present

Which one - I already have an M1A standard and don't know where to go next

I don't see myself as a huge collector but do like quality prices that I can one day pass on to my children
Posted By: Nivlac

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/17/14 05:34 PM

M1 Garand
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/17/14 06:27 PM

I love my scout
Posted By: tth_40

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/17/14 07:25 PM

M1 Garand.

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/17/14 07:45 PM

i love the history and the ruggedness of the garand but I lean towards the scout or socom in favor of the fact that I already have one and mags and caliber are the same....i could re-barrel the garand though....

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/17/14 07:50 PM

You can leave the standard original and customize the scout or socom. I will own a garand soon, there's something about these two rifles that makes me want to own more than one!

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/17/14 10:56 PM

I agree
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/17/14 11:20 PM

if you decide on the garand, do your home work and get one that is collectable..
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/17/14 11:32 PM

Own a piece of history. Get a M1 Garand. The supply of decent Garands is getting low so get one soon. A good CMP Service Grade M1 should cost you about $700. As to a collectable one, as far as I am concerned they are all collectable and have a story to tell. If it were me I would get one that is 100% functional and is accurate to military spec and not one that is a pristine collectable. You will pay a lot more for the collectable and would not be willing to take it out and shoot it much if at all.

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Geezer Ranger
Own a piece of history. Get a M1 Garand. The supply of decent Garands is getting low so get one soon. A good CMP Service Grade M1 should cost you about $700. As to a collectable one, as far as I am concerned they are all collectable and have a story to tell. If it were me I would get one that is 100% functional and is accurate to military spec and not one that is a pristine collectable. You will pay a lot more for the collectable and would not be willing to take it out and shoot it much if a all.

Word. cheers
Posted By: J.G.

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Geezer Ranger
Own a piece of history. Get a M1 Garand. The supply of decent Garands is getting low so get one soon. A good CMP Service Grade M1 should cost you about $700. As to a collectable one, as far as I am concerned they are all collectable and have a story to tell. If it were me I would get one that is 100% functional and is accurate to military spec and not one that is a pristine collectable. You will pay a lot more for the collectable and would not be willing to take it out and shoot it much if a all.

Yup. Specially since OP has an M1A already, anyway.

I have neither. cry

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 12:17 AM

JG, you GOTTA go get at least one Garand before CMP sells out or they go price increase due to decreased supply.

That goes for everyone else here as well.

Geezer talked me into the first one, now I have a few. At present they are still a good bargain, but they will never be any cheaper than they are right now.
Posted By: Loaded

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 01:57 AM

I'd go for a Garand. As others mentioned, get them while you can and prices are only going up.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
JG, you GOTTA go get at least one Garand before CMP sells out or they go price increase due to decreased supply.

That goes for everyone else here as well.

Geezer talked me into the first one, now I have a few. At present they are still a good bargain, but they will never be any cheaper than they are right now.

I know you're right. Been too busy building a range and custom bolt actions. Need to catch up o the money so I can get one. I've wanted one as long as I can remember. "Saving Private Ryan" made the coveting worse!

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 03:04 AM

I hear ya buddy. Saving up for a couple more myself.

"Band Of Brothers" didn't help either. cheers
Posted By: RickC

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 04:18 AM

I have both, and I agree with the Service Grade Garand from CMP. They are a hoot to shoot, you can and should shoot them, and enbloc clips are a couple $ each.

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 03:59 PM

OP, you can also order a CMP "Special". You can order one in either .308 or .30-06. Description from the site:

"CMP's new grade of M1 Garand. This rifle consists of a new production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture."

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm
Posted By: bo3

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 04:08 PM

An M1 garand in anything but 30.06 is blasphemy.
Posted By: centurion2000

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 04:34 PM

Get the Garand. If you are stuck on the scout concept check out the Mini-G.
And it's cheaper than an M1A SOCOM.

Also ammo for a 30-06 is more available than a 308 (especially when panic buying starts like 2013)

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: centurion2000

Also ammo for a 30-06 is more available than a 308 (especially when panic buying starts like 2013)

YES and YES.

Great looking rig, btw. up

Shuff's builds a good rifle.

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 07:38 PM

That mini-g looks great.
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 09:35 PM

where would one get a mini-g?
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: centurion2000

I just fell a little in love here.

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: NTXBowfisher

I just looked on the website and they're sold out as of now.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/complete-rifles/
Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/18/14 11:04 PM

You could get two Garands for the price of one M-1A....or one Garand and 1400 rounds!
Posted By: centurion2000

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/19/14 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Well he sells them for $1450 for a complete rifle on his web site. He can only make 50 a year that way.
Your best bet is to find the cheapest crappiest field grade and he will do his mini-G magic for $575 (conversion + parkerizing everything) and 21 business day turnaround.

I have a franken-Garand about to go off to him and his products are SOLID.

Oh .... and he makes a 35 Whelen Garand. Something about a 9.1mm battle rifle that just gives me a shiver smile
[Disclosure: No financial stake, just one SERIOUSLY happy customer]
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/19/14 10:08 PM

I also have an M1A and love it as my hog hunting gun and badass plinker but would I like to have an early 40's garand that would be a historical piece of gunnery and american history.

Buy a Garand and my vote is for an older one.

When I get that Garand for myself it will go on the wall under a pic of my grandfather. I will most likely buy a WW2 1911 to go next to it.

The 2 greatest guns in american history!!!! (in my opinion of course)

Posted By: Reeder

Re: M1A scout/socom vs M1 Garand - help me decide - 09/21/14 03:44 PM

if you don't care about collectability I'd personally get the scout. I'm more of a purist when it comes to m1 garands.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum