Texas Hunting Forum

Most accute AR-15?

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 12:07 AM

In the market for a new AR, factory built, not from parts and pieces. Who makes the most accurate, 16" barrel, rifle under 7lbs. Budget is max $1500 all in (no sights)

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 12:09 AM

Oh yes as far as "accuracy" under 1MOA

I had a Rock River Predator Pursuit, 20" would do this all day long but a little heavier than what I'm looking for now.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 01:28 AM

I've played that game forever trying to find the perfect accurate light AR. I don't know why but in your price range and off the shelf the RR predator pursuit has probably been the most accurate for the buck. But I didn't care for the balance, weight , or handgaurd. I even bought the Larue predatar think it was going to be a winner, I was wrong and drank the koolaid.
I had to build to get close to what I wanted but it's still a little barrel heavy IMO. I watching to see what gets named.
IF Daniel Defense would make a precision barrel and not a "battle" barrel they would have the perfect weight gun.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 01:33 AM

Les Baer.
Posted By: bside

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 05:55 PM

If you can find an LBC AR-15 for 1500, let me know so I can buy one too.

The best answer, imo, is Alexander Arms. You can pick up a 6.5 or 5.56 AR15 from them for $1500, and it'll shoot.

Personally, I dislike the furniture and twist rates on RRA rifles. The forends are heavy and the stocks are commercial spec, the barrels tend to be 1:9 twist

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 06:30 PM

I'd love a Les Baer for $1500 too!!!
The Rock River has their new "X" models out. little heavy

Under MOA might be asking too much from a lighter weight gun.

I will look into the AA, I've seen them but never studied them.

DD new rifles would be perfect with match barrel accuracy.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 07:13 PM

JP15
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Oh yes as far as "accuracy" under 1MOA

I had a Rock River Predator Pursuit, 20" would do this all day long but a little heavier than what I'm looking for now.

I've got a 16" Rock River Predator Pursuit Upper on a lower I built with Magpul parts. Not sure what it weighs but the 16" complete gun from RR weighs 7.2 lbs. First hand load I tried out of it this past weekend measured 0.68". The next load was a touch bigger. I'm sure it will be a half inch gun by the time I'm through testing.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 08:15 PM

Dude your looking for a unicorn... The most accurate I have ever seen was a Rhino... look them up, 3/8th group guaranteed or they send you a new one. But the sob is HEAVY AND LOUD. GA percsion has their GAP-10 but it is 7.62 it has like a 1/2 moa garentee

Under 7 pounds is super hard to get from a rock river. that's the main complaint I hear about them. The x model rocks are kinda close but they are 18 inch barrels. If you could get a 16 inch x barrel and swap all components to magpul I bet you could get there. They do have a what 3/4 garentee? but also run like 1800 right?

The pred persuits gun has a stainless barrel right??? No flutes or nothing?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/02/14 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
JP15
Another that you won't be finding for $1500.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/03/14 01:48 AM

Build it yourself

Put your money in the barrel
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/03/14 02:06 AM

I know you don't want to build but you might look at uppers from D-Tech. His upper with a select match grade Shilen barrel will run around $850. He's out a ways on delivery so if you're in a hurry it's probably not an option. Cleric is correct. Put your money in the barrel and I'll add in a trigger also.
Posted By: ckat

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/03/14 02:30 AM

Laugh if you want, but I am extremely impressed with my Windham Weaponry SRC. The "purist" will scream about the 1:9" barrel and no parkerizing under the gas block, but find me "true" AR that will shoot like this for $750. Two other buddies bought them also... on a mini "group buy." All three shoot equally well.

This is the only picture that I have, but groups this size and smaller are the norm for this carbine. By the way, the cover dots were from other shooters with other guns... and that is 5 shots, not 4. My Predator Pursuit has been crying in the safe since I got the WW...

Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/03/14 02:32 AM

I'd probably buy the upper (Dtech, Ritchs Precision Guns, or RRA) then build a lower with the trigger I want. In fact I just built one to go with my predator pursuit upper. I used an RRA lower and parts to match the upper, but put in a geissele ssa-e trigger. If you get the upper custom built (or build it yourself) you could go with a lightweight hand guard and barrel profile.

If your set on buying a complete rifle, I think it's hard to beat RRA for value. I love both of mine, but I haven't run any higher end AR's to compare. That said, I can't imagine paying 2X as much would get me a whole lot more performance than what I have. You could do the 16" predator pursuit. 7.2# and well under your budget. Put the savings into your scope. You could put a lighter hand guard like a troy alpha on it to shave a few ounces...

Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/03/14 04:07 AM

I have had several and my JP Enterprises is extremely accurate. Pop yotes at 400 yards with Nikon M223 scope.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/03/14 12:22 PM

Could always re profile a barrel to what you want.
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/03/14 01:55 PM

I've had luck with my Rock River and Daniel Defense. I've gotten both to shoot MOA with cheap steel ammo.
Posted By: okierifleman

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/03/14 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I'd love a Les Baer for $1500 too!!!
The Rock River has their new "X" models out. little heavy

Under MOA might be asking too much from a lighter weight gun.

I will look into the AA, I've seen them but never studied them.

DD new rifles would be perfect with match barrel accuracy.

You can pick up a new Les Baer police special on Gunbroker right now for $1500
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/03/14 05:06 PM

The one in the front is a DPMS and i have had it shot 1'' MOA all day long but it is a little on the heavy side but not to bad and for the price it fit what i was looking for .The bull barrel is a must to me for it.

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/04/14 02:39 AM

Great ideas guys thanks !!
Posted By: crash700

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/28/14 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Build it yourself

Put your money in the barrel

I agree, you can build an accurate rifle for about a grand, give or take.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/29/14 01:15 AM

If you want lite weight, I'd recommend the SW MP15 Sport, I bought one for my wife , topped with a Leupold VX 3 3-9x50. First range trip she was shooting one inch groups, then put about 20 rounds in the same ragged hole. She is no professional, but she put 7 shots on a 14x18 plate at 253 yards. For cheap lite and accurate I'd say that covers all of them. She will be getting a better trigger, something adjustable, but other than that she diesnt want to change a thing.
Posted By: Rluckie

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/29/14 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Ryan81
I've had luck with my Rock River and Daniel Defense. I've gotten both to shoot MOA with cheap steel ammo.

I love my Rock River as well.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/29/14 02:52 AM

my RRA is also very accurate (1:8 twist wylde chamber).

I purchased an Alexander Arms 5.56 lightweight upper thinking it would be accurate
and have been disappointed by it. So far on all ammo I've tried. I'll try some really
heavy stuff next as it is 1:7 and maybe my 65's and 55's were to light (well short)
and over-stablized.

I think 6.8 SPCII 1:11 barrels seem to be inherently accurate and the caliber loves 16"-18"
barrels and can also be quite light.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/29/14 03:26 AM

Larue, JP or Les Baer. Can't go wrong with any of those.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/29/14 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
Larue, JP or Les Baer. Can't go wrong with any of those.

This...but will not be within your budget! Buy once, cry once!
Posted By: toolman

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/29/14 03:20 PM

For the money, the Smith's are hard to beat, mainly because the barrels are made by Thompson Center and are not chromed, blus they have the 1 in 8" 5R rifling. I don't know what his prices are running right now, but you may check with Jordan King at King's Arsenal. I know he offers a 1.0 MOA guarantee on all of his.
Posted By: Loaded

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/29/14 10:47 PM

You might also check out Precision Firearms, but I think they are over your budget by a few hundred.
Posted By: sbvx67

Re: Most accute AR-15? - 09/30/14 11:33 AM

Check out Wilson Combat and save up a little more. You won't be disapointed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum