Texas Hunting Forum

Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter

Posted By: chital_shikari

Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter - 07/29/14 12:45 PM

My friend and his dad just bought 2 of these, a .243 and a .30-06. I read good stuff about Savage, hav 2 acquaintances who use one, but those are all Axis' i believe. I recommended the Axis to them, but they ended up getting the 11/111. How are they? Thanks.

P.S. Before BMD gets here, I don't like Savage either grin just know that they shoot good.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter - 07/29/14 02:35 PM

Model 11/111 are a solid step above the Axis, and more than worth the $ difference. Good quality gun that will out-shoot it's price point. I've got one in .300WSM that's covered my wall in trophies.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter - 07/29/14 03:07 PM

Great rifle.
Posted By: Gwood88

Re: Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter - 07/29/14 03:08 PM

I have one in .30-06 and its a great gun. MOA or better with decent ammo. The accu-trigger is the highlight of the package for me. The stock is pretty bad though. It's great that it is free floated but the stock is so flexible you can't have a rest less than about 6in from the end of the forend because it will flex and touch the barrel. But there are some options out there to upgrade. Also, it is a sporter profile barrel so after about 5 rounds you'll need to let it cool to get good accuracy out of it.

Mine is the Trophy Hunter XP package which also came with a Nikon BDC scope. One of the better deals out there in my opinion. I'll probably eventually replace everything except the action and trigger. New stock, scope, threaded barrel, and suppressor. Maybe keep it in .30-06 or maybe 6.5. A suppressed .30-06 would be sweet though.
Posted By: JD4030

Re: Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter - 07/29/14 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Model 11/111 are a solid step above the Axis, and more than worth the $ difference. Good quality gun that will out-shoot it's price point. I've got one in .300WSM that's covered my wall in trophies.

Same, great rifle for the money. I have the model 10 (wood) in .243 and it shoots 1" or better. Never had a Savage that didn't.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter - 07/29/14 07:37 PM

We have the same Nikon package in 243 and I echo the same sentiments.

Love the accutrigger, vastly superior to the x-mark in everywY but probably still a small step behind the Tikka trigger in my opinion
The stock is definitely trashy but more than good enough
Yes the BDC is no real reticle but I'm a firm believer in using. The tools u have to their max and I've hit an 8" plate at 400 yards with this setup and the cheapest factory Hornady, in a proned position on a bag like 4 out of 8. And I am no real shooter. No adjustment, just entering the best info I could into the Nikon BDC program on their site.

This is a package I highly recommend to people for getting started.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter - 07/29/14 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Gwood88
I have one in .30-06 and its a great gun. MOA or better with decent ammo. The accu-trigger is the highlight of the package for me. The stock is pretty bad though. It's great that it is free floated but the stock is so flexible you can't have a rest less than about 6in from the end of the forend because it will flex and touch the barrel. But there are some options out there to upgrade. Also, it is a sporter profile barrel so after about 5 rounds you'll need to let it cool to get good accuracy out of it.

Mine is the Trophy Hunter XP package which also came with a Nikon BDC scope. One of the better deals out there in my opinion. I'll probably eventually replace everything except the action and trigger. New stock, scope, threaded barrel, and suppressor. Maybe keep it in .30-06 or maybe 6.5. A suppressed .30-06 would be sweet though.
depended on velocity & cal. very few rifles will not get hot after 5rds. my 7.64 Brenneke will get hot after 2rds
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter - 07/31/14 02:26 PM

cool1 thanks yall!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Reviews on Savage 11/111 trophy hunter - 07/31/14 04:36 PM

11 and 111 is far better than the Axis.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum