Texas Hunting Forum

I'm curious about Para Ordinance

Posted By: soje

I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 07:42 AM

I've seen these at shops, and read up on them. They seem like very nice pistols, but I've never seen anyone with one, never see anyone talk about them. What's the story behind these.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 10:39 AM

Just another 1911. I have a 16-40 that is absolutely wonderful.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 02:15 PM

I currently have a Para USA Expert (not G.I. Expert) 1911 .45 ACP, no issues with just over 1500 flawless rounds fired thus far. Forged frame and slide, machined extractor and barrel bushing, match grade barrel...it's a lot of gun for the money. Reliable and very accurate. Love it. I inherited my dad's Para Ordnance (Canada) PXT P12 Limited .45 ACP 3" and it ran flawless as well. My oldest daughter shot it and instantly fell in love so, now it's her's.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 02:39 PM

I've had a P-14 .45 ACP almost 20 years. Love it. Would really like the have a beavertail and a ambidexterous hammer safety put on it but I don't want to be without it for the time it would take.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 03:09 PM

If I was in the market for another I'd give them a look.
Posted By: janie

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 10:31 PM

I've got the P-14 .45, that's had some upgrade's. Wilson match grade barrel, and recoil reducing spring installed. It's by far, the most pleasant, softest recoiling .45 I've ever shot.

Zero issues.

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 10:34 PM

What is a recoil-reducing spring?
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 10:44 PM

Only ones I have ever been around are the double stack 1911s. They are pretty chunky, but mechanically work fine. A friend of mine asked me to make him a set of custom wood grips for a 1911, and I was like, "Oh yeah, come by one afternoon and we can knock those out in no time." He shows up with a double stack Para. Making those grips was a major PITA! I ended up keeping the pistol for a week, and making several sets of grips before I finally got a good set.
Posted By: janie

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
What is a recoil-reducing spring?

It basically reduces the slide to frame impact. If you do a search for Sprinco USA recoil reduction, it'll give you an idea of what it does.

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/25/14 11:53 PM

So a heavier recoil spring or shock buffer?
Posted By: TCB

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/26/14 12:18 AM

I've got the Expert as well and it's a great shooting gun. Check out CDNN, I picked up mine for $500 after the factory rebate.
Posted By: elcasador

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/26/14 12:36 AM

Not 100% positive if this is correct but when I was in the market for a 1911 my gunsmith/dealer said Para's have more hands on smithing than Kimber.
Posted By: OneShotDrop

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/26/14 07:21 PM

The sprinco is a replacement drop in full size guide rod with a captured subspring. The subspring is engaged after the pistol has fired and ejected the brass. It dampens the slide to frame battering in turn reducing the perceived recoil, the muzzle flip and dip especially when double tapping. Also by dampening slide and frame battering helps extend life of pistol.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/27/14 08:08 AM

I have had two Para 1911 single stack 45 and have been satisfied with both pistols. Not saying they are the best or better than others, just that I have not had any issues with them.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: I'm curious about Para Ordinance - 07/28/14 02:35 AM

Freedom Group owns Para. Take it with a salt and lime, see how it shakes.

I would look at an STI first.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum