Texas Hunting Forum

ATF messed up my christmas.

Posted By: texas.410

ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/27/08 09:03 PM

Got all my Christmas money together and went to Cabela's too get a Ruger supper black hawk, to hog and deer hunt with Sunday threw Thursday.
Well it just figers I got a hold put on me. And I am pissed They said I might have to wait till the first of the year!

This seems to happen to me about every third gun I buy.

Besides getting a CCL is there anything I can do to cut down on this ?

Posted By: uthornfan

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/27/08 09:23 PM

Do you have any idea why they are putting the hold on you? I would just get a CHL and be done with it.

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/27/08 09:33 PM

Quote:

Do you have any idea why they are putting the hold on you? I would just get a CHL and be done with it.

I have on idea. And I don't want a CHL.

Posted By: uthornfan

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/27/08 10:24 PM

There are two options. Find out what is causing the hold and try and resolve that issue, or get a CHL so you won't have to deal with back ground checks. Good luck.

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/27/08 11:23 PM

I'm going to wait it out. And as much as I don't want to, I might make a call to see whats up.

Posted By: corvette

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/28/08 12:58 AM

Sorry about your gun purchase or should I say purchase in progress. I just had to say that is a cute video! Troy

Posted By: fun4uoc

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/28/08 01:21 AM

Yeah, that really sucks but covette is right, that video is awesome and is even better with sound. That is an old americas funniest home video clips.

Posted By: colt45-90

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/28/08 02:01 AM

Quote:

I'm going to wait it out. And as much as I don't want to, I might make a call to see whats up.

YOU WILL NOT FIND OUT ANYTHING BY CALLING, if you want to clear it up, you have to submit paper work along with your fingerprints to clear anything up.

Posted By: PhilR

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/28/08 12:55 PM

There is an appeal process you can use if you either get denied or constantly delayed. Go to the ATF website and check out the process.

Posted By: J.G.

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/28/08 02:22 PM

I have never heard of this. Why do people get a hold put on them? Does the ATF think they are buying too many firearms?

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/28/08 02:25 PM

That's a good lookin Lab by the way. Got a 6 year old myself named Buster. He would follow me to the gates of hell if I wanted him to. He would also sleep in bed with me if I'd let him.

Posted By: colt45-90

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/28/08 02:37 PM

Quote:

I have never heard of this. Why do people get a hold put on them? Does the ATF think they are buying too many firearms?

it can be several different reasons, someone with the same name that has been in trouble (it helps if you submit your SS), or if you have had a some kind of mess up in your past. I have heard of delays because of no. of weapons purchased, also if you have ever had high security clearance for military ect.

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/29/08 12:06 AM

If you don't want a CHL your just going to have to be happy with not being able to go and pick up a gun with no delays. It's worth it to me to not have to stand around waiting for them to say "it's cool" or "sorry but your delayed". I was at Cabela's the other day and there were probably 15 people just standing around waiting to hear if they could take their newest gun home that night or have to wait. I walked up and the guy put my CHL number on the yellow sheet and I walked out with my newest playtoy.

Posted By: fun4uoc

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/29/08 01:23 AM

Quote:

That's a good lookin Lab by the way. Got a 6 year old myself named Buster. He would follow me to the gates of hell if I wanted him to. He would also sleep in bed with me if I'd let him.

Thanks, sadly, this will be his last duck season, he has 9 hard years of duck hunting under his belt, and it is really starting to wear on him.

He has been the best hunting/family dog I've ever owned, and it makes me sick that I have to retire him. On a plus note, I've started hunting his daughter this year along side him and she is coming along quite nicely.

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/29/08 02:39 AM

Thanks, sadly, this will be his last duck season, he has 9 hard years of duck hunting under his belt, and it is really starting to wear on him.

He has been the best hunting/family dog I've ever owned, and it makes me sick that I have to retire him. On a plus note, I've started hunting his daughter this year along side him and she is coming along quite nicely.

Well at least he's mentoring the next generation. Best wishes to you and you dogs.

Posted By: yukons95

Re: ATF messed up my christmas. - 12/29/08 06:45 AM

I have the same problem, i could buy a few guns. Then one will put a hold on me. I called that number they gave me and yes you have to submit paperwork with finger prints, but the lady i spoke with and the gun dealers tell me one reason might be my name! it is very common, and even with my ss# it will cause them to delay. That does not mean you might of had a troubled past. If you did it would not delay, it would deny you. So by delaying they are just verifying your name and info. Hope this helps! And by me doing all the paper and fingerprints they could not guarantee it would not still happen! the only real solution would be a concealed license, no more paperwork!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum