Posted By: DfwTexas

glock or m&p - 06/30/14 12:15 AM

been debating on which one to get next, would like to get some opinions. thanks
Posted By: JCB

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 12:16 AM

Glock
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 12:17 AM

I am not a glock or mp and fan, but with that said I have two glocks. It all comes down to personal preference on them. They both make good guns. If you haven't shot either one then I would find a place where you can shoot them and get the one that feels the best to you. I am a 1911 fan and none of the striker fire pistol are my favorite.

Walter
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 12:23 AM

Wasn't in the discussion, but I like the Sig
Posted By: one73maro

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 12:33 AM

Never shot an M&P but have handled a few. Don't care for the feel of them. I own and have shot several different model Glocks. I prefer the feel of the Glock over the M&P. Glocks are good shooters and very reliable pistols.
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 12:41 AM

I got an M&P shield about two months ago from a member here on the forum I found out real quick why he didn't like it. It literally embarrassed me at the range, that following Monday I raffled it off at work for $550 got my money back plus some! Get you a glock and be done with it....
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 12:47 AM

I bought a MP40. I don't like Glock grip angles, factory sites, or the models with finger grooves. The MP40 pointed like my 1911, had much nicer factory sites(IMO), and no finger grooves. I also like the serrations and lines of the MP40 better. One thing I didn't like about my MP40 was the factory trigger. In fact, I hated it so much at fist, I about traded it off. Folks kept telling me it has a long break in period, and it did. After about 400-500 rounds, and some dry firing, (plus getting use to the trigger) it fires really nicely. I am now really happy with it. I bet I took it to the range 3-4 times before I was able to get it to group decently. Yes, it was embarrassing the first couple trips to the range. I could shoot a 2" group with my Colt, then I could barely keep all my MP rounds on the paper.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 01:03 AM

They both suck equally. Pick whichever you feel to suck less.
Posted By: Gwood88

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 01:13 AM

I really like my M&P's. I have the Shield and fullsize both in 9mm. I much prefer the ergonomics and the sights to those of Glocks. I have no problem with the trigger in either of mine. You can always drop in an Apex hardened sear for $40 which drops the pull weight below 5#.

That being said you really just need to try holding, dry firing, and aiming both. It's about your individual preferences and what you feel most comfortable with.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 01:41 AM

Glock. Texas highway patrol ditched the m&p they were switching to 9mm with the new class and had issues. On a side note, I really like the feel of the m&p but smith and wesson did some dumb anti gun crap back in the Clinton days and I have not forgiven them yet.
Posted By: Fishing Fester

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 01:45 AM

Glocks all the way. On edc, once to go glock u never look back. G19 for 9mm or g23 for 40 cal. I also have a g36 I carry when I feel like 45.
Posted By: jab3006

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 02:27 AM

I own a glock, have had several, and own a compact mp 45, full size 45, a full size 9mm, and a shield. I am also issued a mp 9mm. Previously issued a glock. I am an armorer for glock and the mp. I think both are good pistols. I prefer a 1911, and with that being said I like the mp better than glock. Grip angle feels more like the 1911. I just installed an apex tactical forward set trigger and sear set in my full size 45 with the thumb safety. Feels as close to a 1911trigger as I have ever felt in a striker fired gun. Smith and wesson had some issues in the mid 90's, but the ownership is different now I believe. they have come a long way. My understanding dps had sight issues with one batch of guns in the academy, not sure if they have ditched them all together. dont believe you would go wrong with either, just come down to which one you like better, and shoot better.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 03:42 AM

Of those two choices i would pick
1) Sig
2) XDM
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 03:48 AM

glock 23
Posted By: txmikenlisa1

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 04:19 AM

Between glock and m&p , I would go glock. About $30 worth of easy parts mods makes them really great pistols. I would also highly recommend CZ 75 series pistols. By far the most ergonimically comfortable guns I have ever owned. The 75B and the PO1 are what I have and they are outstanding in their performance.

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 04:23 AM

I would bet that there are 10 times as many Glocks in service as all the others mentioned combined. 1911 is hard to figure since there are like 20,000 mfg.'s. I have never heard of a Glock failure. I have, shoot and carry about 10 different brands of pistols. When and if the $hi+ goes down I hope it's a Glock day for me, but I'm just glad I have the right to carry.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 12:22 PM

You need to choose a weapon that you feel comfortable with, whether it be Glock or the M&P. That being said, I have been carrying a Glock since about 1987 for duty and off-duty use. My original model 17 is retired now and only used for training as I have my .40's. I trust Glock and that is the bottom line for me. They have never failed in any of the courses that I have taught, which is quite a few, while just about all of the other brands (except for the Ruger)have. I won't say anything bad about the M&P as I haven't, and don't care, shot one. One member wrote about Texas DPS having adopted that weapon, and after numerous problems on the range, took them out of service and went back to their Sig (which is an excellent weapon also).
g
Posted By: rentzington

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 01:55 PM

you're just going to have to put hands on both and see what feels best in your hand. Both are good reliable handguns, though if s&w put in the apex kits from the factor i'd probably choose the m&p hands down.

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: westexhunt
I would bet that there are 10 times as many Glocks in service as all the others mentioned combined. 1911 is hard to figure since there are like 20,000 mfg.'s. I have never heard of a Glock failure. I have, shoot and carry about 10 different brands of pistols. When and if the $hi+ goes down I hope it's a Glock day for me, but I'm just glad I have the right to carry.

You obviously haven't shot much if you've never seen one crap.
Posted By: aggie-01

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: txmikenlisa1
Between glock and m&p , I would go glock. About $30 worth of easy parts mods makes them really great pistols. I would also highly recommend CZ 75 series pistols. By far the most ergonimically comfortable guns I have ever owned. The 75B and the PO1 are what I have and they are outstanding in their performance.

What mods do you suggest?

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Yes, obviously. Thanks for adding so much to this thread.
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 02:34 PM

M&P Pro. next question.

what is the intended use? carry, plicking, competition?

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 02:52 PM

I've shot them all and it comes down to whichever you prefer to have in your hand. I happen to prefer my G35 to anything else, but that doesn't mean it's better than an M&P. I have seen every model choke at some point, so when someone says "never seen a failure" I know they are either inexperienced or happen to have read plenty of Internet forums.

As far as mods go, for the Glock I would do the following:
Competition spring kit
Rocket or V4 connector
Warren, ZEV, or Dawson FO sights

For M&P:
Sear kit
FO sights

The mods I recommend here would run about $100 for either.
Posted By: janie

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 02:54 PM

I've owned/shot both. Alot. The M & P is gone. Glock still here. It's what I'm comfortable with and enjoy shooting.

As mentioned earlier, the grip angle is perfect for some. Not so much for other's.

It's something you'll really like or hate. If there's a range near you, that rent's pistols, you'll soon determine what will work for you.

Good luck!
Posted By: glb1955

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 02:55 PM

I am not for sure just how many rounds WestTex hunter has shot through Glocks, but I have shot many. The only problem we ever had at my agency was with ammo, when the head would separate from the case. This was an ammo issue and not the weapon. The one issue that I heard about was in a large agency in the Panhandle of Texas that had Glock barrels bulging on them. It was learned that the agency was using reloads (lead bullets) and had trustees in their jail doing some of the reloading. A Glock's barrel is tight, and Glock shooters know that if they are going to use lead bullets that the barrel must be cleaned frequently to get the build-up out. Or, like I hearde that agency did, get a different brand barrel that uses conventional riflings. Other than that, I have never had a Glock crap out on me or any of my officers.

g
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 03:11 PM

FNX

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 03:26 PM

I've put over 12,000 ov my cast bullets through my stock barrel. It's still fine.
Posted By: DfwTexas

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 04:12 PM

thanks for everyones input, it would just be a new pistol for the collection no specific use. just wanted yalls opinions on the 2. thanks again
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 04:25 PM

Love the M&P, I own a shield and M&P full size, both in 9mm. My brother has an FNS-9mm, the striker fire version with no safety. That thing is AWESOME, shoots smooth, grip fits great, and the factory trigger doesn't need to be swapped out. I would go with the FNS if I were you, also it comes with 3 mags.

older M&Ps need an apex trigger bad because the reset sucks, the newer ones have the shield trigger in them and the reset is much better.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 05:15 PM

I would have a look at the new Sig 320 before buying anything else.
Posted By: cdoan02

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 07:42 PM

Between the 2... I say Glock. Tried hard not to be a Glock fanboy, but I can't help it.
Posted By: txmikenlisa1

Re: glock or m&p - 06/30/14 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: aggie-01
Originally Posted By: txmikenlisa1

What mods do you suggest?

I like simple mods like extended slide release, mag release, and takedown lever, night sights if a good deal pops up, steel guide rod and spring (I have only had one plastic one break, but I just prefer the steel with the stock one as a backup) 3.5 # trigger connector, and the usual polishing of feed ramp and trigger system contact points. All of which can usually be done for about $100 and a little time.

But like I mentioned I have 75 series CZ pistols that I do nothing at all to that I think are as reliable and as accurate and functional as my updated glocks, and feel much better in hand. I still love the glock, but I would pick up a CZ just as readily and be 100% confident in it.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: glock or m&p - 07/01/14 05:57 AM

I have both... Several thousand rounds through each. I like them equally but if I were to choose 1 it would be Glock all the way.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: glock or m&p - 07/01/14 06:18 AM

It really depends on what role you want the pistol for. If you want a single stack, CC 9mm, you have to go with the M&P since Glock does not have that offering. Standard or compact size, I prefer the Glock, but you might not. Handle them and shoot them both, then decide.

Re: glock or m&p - 07/01/14 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: glb1955

I am not for sure just how many rounds WestTex hunter has shot through Glocks, but I have shot many. The only problem we ever had at my agency was with ammo, when the head would separate from the case. This was an ammo issue and not the weapon. The one issue that I heard about was in a large agency in the Panhandle of Texas that had Glock barrels bulging on them. It was learned that the agency was using reloads (lead bullets) and had trustees in their jail doing some of the reloading. A Glock's barrel is tight, and Glock shooters know that if they are going to use lead bullets that the barrel must be cleaned frequently to get the build-up out. Or, like I hearde that agency did, get a different brand barrel that uses conventional riflings. Other than that, I have never had a Glock crap out on me or any of my officers.

g

I was referencing the same thing as glb 1955. I only shoot factory ammo in my G23 with the factory barrel. The lone wolf 9mm drop in gets whatever I load or buy. That barrel will stovepipe with wolf ammo and a 32rd mag, but I am not going to consider it a glock failure when the most important part of the weapon is not a glock part. I have 4 box stock glocks and none of them have ever failed (with the exception of the lone wolf barrel). I carry with the factory glock barrel and quality factory ammo. Many of my friends carry glock's both as a civilian and on duty, none of them have had a glock failure. Glock failures are all over the internet but I don't know those guys.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: glock or m&p - 07/02/14 02:28 AM

I like Sig's, they simply work for me. I'm forced to carry a Glock of duty because Sig doesn't make a light weight gun that's approved by my dept. I can't shoot the Glock for anything, grip angle is way off and the trigger is way different then my DA/SA. But it, like my Sig, has never failed and they both get reloads regularly

Did I mention the Sig has surpassed 14,000 rounds on the factory parts?

Re: glock or m&p - 07/02/14 03:14 AM

You will witness one malfunction around the 00:35 mark here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u5uVC6XOBiw

I have more, if you like.

Re: glock or m&p - 07/02/14 03:49 AM

Ooooh look, found another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2j5-LhJTlg

Re: glock or m&p - 07/02/14 04:00 AM

One more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T3F3v7ZVlY
Posted By: Ruger1980

Re: glock or m&p - 07/02/14 04:18 AM

Definitely Glock! The glock is boring and some say ugly! It is superbly accurate out of the box and always go bang. I have 2 Glocks and love them. I had a MP 9mm and wasn't impressed. If you are going polymer you can't beat a Glock!
Posted By: ctownboy

Re: glock or m&p - 07/02/14 01:53 PM

I shoot them both very well. I like the beaver tale a little more on the M&P so I put one on my other Glock.M&P trigger does suck though smile

Posted By: cdoan02

Re: glock or m&p - 07/02/14 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
I like Sig's, they simply work for me. I'm forced to carry a Glock of duty because Sig doesn't make a light weight gun that's approved by my dept. I can't shoot the Glock for anything, grip angle is way off and the trigger is way different then my DA/SA. But it, like my Sig, has never failed and they both get reloads regularly

Did I mention the Sig has surpassed 14,000 rounds on the factory parts?

Are Glocks the only handguns y'all are allowed to carry? Or is Sig simply not on their list? Seems crazy to not allow you to carry the best tool for the job.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: glock or m&p - 07/05/14 10:37 PM

Posted By: passthru

Re: glock or m&p - 07/10/14 06:34 PM

I have a smaller hand an the grip to trigger is an issue for me on the XDs and the Glocks. So it's a no brainer for me. Also I like S&W guns. I've owned, carried and shot several over the years.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: glock or m&p - 07/10/14 11:03 PM

Of the two I would take a Glock

I carry a Glock at work and at one point carried a Sig226 but wearing a gun on your hip 12 hours a day gets old. I went to the Glock because I trust it and it works.
Posted By: crash700

Re: glock or m&p - 07/12/14 03:09 PM

Hands down...GLOCK
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: glock or m&p - 07/13/14 10:43 PM

He's on a roll.......
They both suck equally. Pick whichever you feel to suck less.

Yes, obviously. Thanks for adding so much to this thread.
Posted By: lp243

Re: glock or m&p - 07/13/14 11:32 PM

any hand gun will fail sooner or later, unless it is just a safe queen. just like some guys drink the Dillon blue cool aid there's other guys that drink the Glock-aid, try to rent one of each and pick the one you like best. if you reload ? probably best to go with the M&P or buy an after market barrel for your Glock. I have a G-20 glock with a Lone Wolf 40 S&W conversion barrel on the way. if you do buy a Glock and do reloads then get yourself a Lee bulge buster, it will save you a lot of fail to function headaches. I have close to 30% that is fired from a Glock that fail if not run through the buster.
PS : I drink the blue cool-aid and own Glock pistols also
Posted By: lp243

Re: glock or m&p - 07/13/14 11:34 PM

I will take my 1911 over either one
Posted By: tth_40

Re: glock or m&p - 07/14/14 04:33 AM

I run a H&K USP .40 and an XDM .40. The bulge buster is a good idea for any .40 cal. pistol and once fired brass. I also love my 1911's.cheers

I still try to avoid "Glocked" brass, though. grin

Re: glock or m&p - 07/14/14 05:22 AM

Gen 3 and later has supported chamber.

Re: glock or m&p - 07/14/14 07:45 AM

Look at once fired brass from any generation Glock .40 factory barrel and compare it to fired brass from another manufacurer's pistol. There will be a little "smile " shaped bulge at the base of the fired casing just above the rim. The Gen . 4 's brass is slightly less pronounced but it's still there. You can really tell the difference running brass fired from different pistols through a Lee bulge buster (I've done several thousand). The feed ramp geometry on the factory Glock barrel runs up into the throat of the chamber leaving a slightly larger area of un-supported brass.

Glock did tighten up their chamber support a bit in the Gen. 3 and 4, but not to the point where it's "supported" like in an aftermarket Glock barrel (Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, etc.). Other manufacturers have this issue as well, but it's generally not as defined.

Re: glock or m&p - 07/14/14 01:25 PM

All I know is I have never had an issue with a round not chambering in my G35 with a stock barrel, and I never do anything but a standard sizer die.

Re: glock or m&p - 07/14/14 08:28 PM

And you won't.

The issue isn't chambering, it's chamber support when the round is fired and chamber pressure peaks. One of the reasons a factory Glock chambers everything reliably is because of the room afforded at the mouth of the chamber by the way the feed ramp runs up into it, essentially being part of the chamber and not fully enclosing the case all the way to the base of the body of the cartridge above the rim at the feed ramp.
Posted By: crash700

Re: glock or m&p - 07/26/14 03:45 AM

Hands down, GLOCK
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: glock or m&p - 07/26/14 04:31 AM

FNX for sure.

The reason the Glock grip angle doesn't work for most people is because its built for limp wrist sissys.

Even the girliest of Texas women have more machismo than Austrian men.

Re: glock or m&p - 07/26/14 04:35 AM

Is this thread ever gonna die?
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: glock or m&p - 07/26/14 04:39 AM

Your supposed to shoot a glock with your pinky finger sticking out stir

Re: glock or m&p - 07/26/14 04:09 PM

Why not just get a 1911?
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: glock or m&p - 07/26/14 06:54 PM

Only two choices, go with the Glock.
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: glock or m&p - 07/28/14 07:41 PM

That's like saying ford or chevy?
Posted By: Grizz

Re: glock or m&p - 07/28/14 11:43 PM

A year ago I would have said Glock without hesitation, but I've really been looking into the M&P 45 and I'm seriously considering one to carry on duty. I love the feel of the M&P, it just fits my hand better than the Glock.

Re: glock or m&p - 07/29/14 12:23 AM

Like a Beretta, Browning or Benelli.

Beretta Auto shotguns and Browning O/U's for me because how they fit and feel/point.

Re: glock or m&p - 07/29/14 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: grizz
A year ago I would have said Glock without hesitation, but I've really been looking into the M&P 45 and I'm seriously considering one to carry on duty. I love the feel of the M&P, it just fits my hand better than the Glock.

I had a compact .45 and it was fine. Fed SWC's and everything. I had a 9mm Pro model that never had issues. I had a G35 with roughly 12,000 through it that was fine. They're all good pistols. Just pick the one you like and run it till the wheels fall off.

Re: glock or m&p - 07/29/14 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Of the two I would take a Glock

I carry a Glock at work and at one point carried a Sig226 but wearing a gun on your hip 12 hours a day gets old. I went to the Glock because I trust it and it works.

Say it isn't SO! bang
Posted By: tripod

Re: glock or m&p - 07/29/14 08:31 AM

Glock
Posted By: Benz

Re: glock or m&p - 08/01/14 02:57 AM

I have a glock 36 I live it but selling it to get a g30s
Posted By: Benz

Re: glock or m&p - 08/03/14 03:06 AM

Glock. Period
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum