Texas Hunting Forum

Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!!

Posted By: madfish80

Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/17/14 02:05 AM

Need some info on a weatherby vanguard 7mm mag with the serial # starting with VS731***. Thanks for any and all help.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/17/14 02:21 AM

I had one and it kicked like a stud mule. That help?
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/17/14 02:31 AM

What exactly do you want to know?

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/17/14 03:46 AM

Uh what year possibly on the serial #...how accurate of a shooter they are OR are not .....what's a good price on a used one.....does it kick like a mule......etc etc
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/17/14 03:50 AM

Weatherby Vanguards are generally a damn good value for the money.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/17/14 11:52 AM

The Vanguard (ne: Howa 1500) is an excellent value for the money. Every one I've messed with has been very accurate, and the triggers are easily adjusted if you can follow directions. I shot my first brown bear on Kodiak Island with a Howa in .338 WM. I gave the rifle to my guide as a tip, something I still regret to this day.

My only beef with the Howa/Vanguard, is that the rifle is too heavy for light cartridges like the .22-250, .243, 7mm-08, etc. By the time you finish scoping it, slinging it, and stoking the mag well with several cartridges, you have an 8 to 8.5 lb gun.....too heavy for a long day of carrying. But for a .30-06, or in your case, a 7mm RM, the Vanguard is damn-near perfect.

Edit: A previous poster found the Vanguard in 7mm RM to be a hard kicker. Since the Vanguard is a heavier than average rifle to start with, he will find ANY rifle chambered for the Big Seven to be a hard kicker. If you don't have shoulder problems and if you practice good shooting technique, you shouldn't have any major problems with the recoil of a 7 Mag from the bench. Just use a sissy pad and limit the number of shots per bench session. Of course in the field, you won't notice recoil, even from a .375 Holland.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/17/14 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
The Vanguard (ne: Howa 1500) is an excellent value for the money. Every one I've messed with has been very accurate, and the triggers are easily adjusted if you can follow directions. I shot my first brown bear on Kodiak Island with a Howa in .338 WM. I gave the rifle to my guide as a tip, something I still regret to this day.

My only beef with the Howa/Vanguard, is that the rifle is too heavy for light cartridges like the .22-250, .243, 7mm-08, etc. By the time you finish scoping it, slinging it, and stoking the mag well with several cartridges, you have an 8 to 8.5 lb gun.....too heavy for a long day of carrying. But for a .30-06, or in your case, a 7mm RM, the Vanguard is damn-near perfect.

Edit: A previous poster found the Vanguard in 7mm RM to be a hard kicker. Since the Vanguard is a heavier than average rifle to start with, he will find ANY rifle chambered for the Big Seven to be a hard kicker. If you don't have shoulder problems and if you practice good shooting technique, you shouldn't have any major problems with the recoil of a 7 Mag from the bench. Just use a sissy pad and limit the number of shots per bench session. Of course in the field, you won't notice recoil, even from a .375 Holland.

X2
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/17/14 06:25 PM

I've got a Remington 700 7 mag and a Vanguard 7 mag. Both are accurate guns. I prefer the Remington mostly because I have had it for 20 years and am very confident shooting it. The Vanguard does seem to kick a little more, but that may just be in my head. I've never taken both out shooting at the same time. Not sure why I still have both since they have turned into safe queens. I'll likely sell the Vanguard since there's no emotional attachment to it. But the Vanguard has been a very good gun. I like the stock and the stainless barrel. Easy to clean.

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/18/14 05:54 AM

Thanks for the info. Any way to tell when made and if it's a regular vanguard or a vanguard S2??
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/18/14 08:20 AM

What else? http://www.weatherbyrifler.com/WbySerials.htm

GOOGLE?BING?
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/18/14 12:20 PM

Usually the manufacturer website can help you with age.

I love my vanguard. It's not a heavy cal rifle. It's a 6.5creedmoor and the thing is a great shooter straight out of the box.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/18/14 03:48 PM

S1's have a 2 position safety & S2's have a 3 position safety...is the easy way to ID.
Ron

Re: Need to know about Weatherby Vangurd HELP!!! - 05/18/14 05:24 PM

Well it does have the 2 Position safety. It has a green synthetic stock with a redfield revenge 3x9x42 scope. Main reason I was wondering is because the S2 I believe have a packaged deal that comes with same scope but just different stock. I guess I'll give a call to weatherby to find out year of production. I haven't had any much with doing the research on the serial #.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum