Texas Hunting Forum

New Marlin Model 60

Posted By: Choctaw

New Marlin Model 60 - 03/05/14 07:25 PM

I currently have owned the same Model 60 since 1973 and am thinking about buying a new one. Considering Marlin isn't all that anymore, what experiences have you folks actually had with the newer 60's?

Thanks.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/05/14 07:55 PM

The one we had late 90's or early 2000's was a great shooter, but very very finicky about being clean. Had to clean it every couple hundred rounds or it would jam like crazy.
Posted By: denton

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/05/14 10:59 PM

The general consensus amongst Marlin guys is to find a nice used one at the pawn shop NOT made in Kentucky. I believe they've held their reputation for accuracy.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/06/14 04:20 AM

Yep. Make sure it's JM stamped and not a ReMlin.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/06/14 01:45 PM

Oh yeah, JM is very important when it comes to Marlin products these days. Thanks guys, this is the information I was looking for. I believe I'll just be content shooting my forty year old Model 60 and look at other rifles instead of new Marlins.

Thanks.
Posted By: Big Will

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/06/14 02:55 PM

I bought a new stainless model 60 a few months back. I've only run 100 to 200 rounds through it but the accuracy has been excellent so far.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/06/14 04:04 PM

I bought an Academy cheapo last year for like $129. So far, no issues.
Posted By: huck18

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/06/14 09:24 PM

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about with a JM stamped vs Non JM stamped. I bought a new Marlin 336(non JM stamped) and it shoots lights out. I've also bought some newer Remington's the past couple years and all of them were sub MOA shooters straight out of the box.

I think honestly it's a lot of talk about nothing and once people hear it they just believe it without any knowledge or proof. I would like to see some comparisons prooving the JM stamped rifles perform better than the newer ones.
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/06/14 09:27 PM

The Gun does not make the shot the shooter makes the shot !
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/07/14 12:53 AM

Ive got one made about 2003. At the time, it was only like 95$ new. It needs cleaned about very 400-500 rounds.
Posted By: denton

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/07/14 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: huck18
I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about with a JM stamped vs Non JM stamped. I bought a new Marlin 336(non JM stamped) and it shoots lights out. I've also bought some newer Remington's the past couple years and all of them were sub MOA shooters straight out of the box.

I think honestly it's a lot of talk about nothing and once people hear it they just believe it without any knowledge or proof. I would like to see some comparisons prooving the JM stamped rifles perform better than the newer ones.

The 336 Remlin is a good gun. The pre-remington (2010)and even more so, the pre 1981 (cross bolt safety)marlins are more desirable to a select crowd. Common complaint with the Remlin is the fit and finish.
Some are acceptable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoE36_1fg8c
Some are not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi79kO51R4U
I know I could go get a nice new winchester model 94 but my 1953 was made and tuned by gunsmiths, not assembly line workers. Cast verses forged, ect.
Who buys a 69 camero because its safe or gets good fuel mileage? I'd bet most of us wouldn't trade a mint '69 camero for a new one. Same thought goes into these older firearms.

I stand by what I previously said, they haven't given up any accuracy. I prefer my '73 model 60 over my ruger 10/22 so much that I sold the ruger.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/07/14 04:15 AM

Look at enough of them and you will note the difference.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/07/14 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: denton
Originally Posted By: huck18

The 336 Remlin is a good gun. The pre-remington (2010)and even more so, the pre 1981 (cross bolt safety)marlins are more desirable to a select crowd. Common complaint with the Remlin is the fit and finish.
Some are acceptable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoE36_1fg8c
Some are not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi79kO51R4U
I know I could go get a nice new winchester model 94 but my 1953 was made and tuned by gunsmiths, not assembly line workers. Cast verses forged, ect.
Who buys a 69 camero because its safe or gets good fuel mileage? I'd bet most of us wouldn't trade a mint '69 camero for a new one. Same thought goes into these older firearms.

I stand by what I previously said, they haven't given up any accuracy. I prefer my '73 model 60 over my ruger 10/22 so much that I sold the ruger.

Except the QC has improved at GM over the years. I have seen some pretty gnarly looking Marlin lever guns in the last few years which is a shame because my favorite rifle is a Marlin 1895G
Posted By: Mickey

Re: New Marlin Model 60 - 03/07/14 01:39 PM

I also bought the cheapo at Academy last year and as LOng as its clean no probs
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum