Texas Hunting Forum

Judd's revised shooting bench

Posted By: Ramball36

Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/18/14 03:53 PM

Judd came out a couple of weeks ago and dropped off his shooting bench to be redone. I didn't take any pictures of his previous setup, but let's just spare him and say it was sub-par! I welded this one up out of 1x2 11 gauge tubing, 2.25" square 11 gauge for the pockets with 3/8" nuts welded on two sides to take up the slack, and 2" 11 gauge legs tilted out 15 degrees. There's also a hookup in the center of the frame to strap the bench down to the ground. Thinking of rigging up a few ambidextrous benches like this one and topping them with a composite decking material to sell. Feel free to let me know what you guys would change or another feature you'd like to see.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/18/14 04:38 PM

I'm interested once you have them ready to sell.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/18/14 06:27 PM

Only other things I can think of would be a beverage holder, and built-in mister for those hot months. You have a seat warmer in that stool yet Judd?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/18/14 08:16 PM

That's a mighty smurfy stock
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/18/14 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
That's a mighty smurfy stock

Judd is a bench-rester, therefore a weird-o. That's just how they roll.

Looks good Ramball.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/18/14 09:33 PM

You bench rest boys!!!
Posted By: Xman

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/19/14 12:10 AM

Very nice. I need something like this that is light and easily portable to go in our little 4x4 Samurai. How big is it?
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/19/14 12:25 AM

I need one in lefty!
Posted By: IHateFeralPigs

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/19/14 01:48 AM

At least his rifle wasn't pink.... grin
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/19/14 01:48 AM

I need something like that. I currently use a 3'x3' portable table with a cinderblock covered with a blanket.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/19/14 02:25 AM

Nice bench. up
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/19/14 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: IHateFeralPigs
At least his rifle wasn't pink.... grin

Don't say that too loud 'round here!
Posted By: Judd

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/19/14 04:02 AM

I'll post pictures when I get a chance of the old setup it was 2" galvanized pipe and I mounted flanges with wedges I cut from a piece of 2x6 to angle the legs out. It was what I had seen and after shooting off of it last year it didn't take me long to realize it was killing me. I knew this off season I had to do something about it.

I sent Ramball pictures of a bench that was sturdy and asked if he could make the frame and put my top on it. He suggested I change up the design a bit and go to the removable legs from folding legs I sent him. He said he thought he could get it sturdy enough and possibly better than the other design. I figured he wasn't telling me how to be a project manager so I wasn't going to tell him how to fabricate this deal. I told him to go for it.

I picked it up this past weekend and I hope to shoot off of it this Sunday but I'll tell you I was real impressed. It is far sturdier than I thought it would be and heavy enough you don't want to carry it far (which is good for what I do) but is light enough one guy can carry it. It is sturdy enough I really don't think I'll have to tie it down. I haven't set it up on grass or sandy ground so we'll see but that just speaks volumes to how sturdy it is.

Little info...I don't have measurements but I can get them but the top is 2 3/4" pieces of plywood that are laminated together (way overkill for most but as I mentioned above weight is my friend for the benchrest game) and it roughly 33" tall.

Last thing Ramball said as I left is "if it doesn't work well and we need to beef it up bring it back and I'll do it"...he made this comment a couple times throughout the process and that says volumes for his customer service and skills. Thanks Ramball, if y'all need welding done he is a good guy to do it.

TDK - misters....I like it. If it is cold enough for me to need a heater on that stool I'm staying home grin

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 02/19/14 04:10 AM

I jacked the measurements while I had it, I'll post them up tmw. Thanks for the kind words Judd, hope it works out this weekend!

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/04/14 02:44 PM

Have you figured out what your pricing will be on these yet?
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/04/14 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Xman
Have you figured out what your pricing will be on these yet?

X2 and will you make a bigger version with cuts for left and right handed shooters. I have both in my family, luckily we have two of each.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/04/14 03:28 PM

Another fine piece of metal craftsmanship.

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/04/14 07:51 PM

I've got an ambi one ready for paint right now. They will be $200, or $250 with adjustable feet. The top can either be 3/4" plywood or 1/2" expanded metal.

Posted By: P_102

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/06/14 09:02 AM

How about welding a slot/bracket or something to the bottom of the table that the legs can slide in for transporting?

P_102

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/06/14 02:51 PM

P_102...that isn't a bad idea. They are heavy enough mine don't slide around but it would keep it all together. I like it.

I actually forgot about this thread, sorry. I'll see (if I remember) if I can get some pre pictures posted. I have now shot one match off the bench and to say I'm happy is an understatement it is night and day versus what I was shooting off of. I'm really pleased with the bench, thanks Ramball.

Someone asked for the measurements, they are 30" wide and 46" deep with a 10" wide and 22 3/4" deep cut out. I hope that helps.
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/06/14 11:46 PM

Looking good I might get one of these soon.

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/07/14 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Txkiller

I'll throw in a free 10" AR plate!
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/07/14 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Originally Posted By: Txkiller

I'll throw in a free 10" AR plate!

Forgot about that grin

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/07/14 04:33 AM

Is the $200 price line for the single stand or for the double stand?

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/07/14 01:07 PM

I could knock off $15 on a one sided bench
Posted By: janie

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/07/14 02:07 PM

That's nice work. up

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/07/14 06:33 PM

Don't you mean it is 46 wide (across the front) and 30 inches deep?

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/07/14 06:53 PM

Don't you mean it is 46 wide (across the front) and 30 inches deep?

Mine, up on the top pictures with the wooden top, is 30 inches across the front and 46 inches deep.

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/07/14 07:25 PM

The ambi one is 40" across the front and 46" deep

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/08/14 02:31 PM

That is a nice big platform but too big for me to transport. I use a small Suzuki Samurai or a Jeep Wrangler. It only has about 36x38 in the back with the rear seat removed. The single sized 24x30 with be great.

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/12/14 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102
How about welding a slot/bracket or something to the bottom of the table that the legs can slide in for transporting?

P_102

Never commented on your post but I agreed it was a great idea, I added it to this one that will be given/raffled/prized away this weekend at the shooting match Chad and Jason are putting on in Wolfe City:

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/12/14 08:59 PM

That is a nice big platform but too big for me to transport. I use a small Suzuki Samurai or a Jeep Wrangler. It only has about 36x38 in the back with the rear seat removed. The single sized 24x30 with be great.

Shoot me a PM and we can set you up with a custom one
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/16/14 03:59 PM

I had a chance to shoot off this bench in Saturday's competition and really like it. I am a big guy and this bench proved to be very stable. Everyone that used it seemed to do very well with it. Nice work!
Posted By: That 1 GUy

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/16/14 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
I had a chance to shoot off this bench in Saturday's competition and really like it. I am a big guy and this bench proved to be very stable. Everyone that used it seemed to do very well with it. Nice work!

X2

Very nice setup and not too heavy for 1 person to carry.

I should have used it more during the competition lol
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/16/14 05:38 PM

I used this bench yesterday as well. I round up to the 300 lb mark. This thing is solid and was my preferred platform yesterday. I am not a long distance shooter and I used this bench to shoot 300,400, 500, and 600 yards on my first attempts ever using a normal weight rifle. I could have taken it home but I dont have the place to use it like its meant to be. Hopefully that hose dragger will put it to use.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Judd's revised shooting bench - 03/16/14 07:54 PM

Mike, think about making the seat attached to the rear leg and swivel back and forth for lefties and righties
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum