Texas Hunting Forum

Need concealed carry advice

Posted By: FireMedic486

Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 07:35 PM

I'm looking to buy another pistol for a concealed carry gun. I would like to get something with a safety just for my own peace of mind. I love glock and will continue to use their products but want to go a different direction for my carry gun. The compact 1911 seems like a decent option but I'd like to go with 9mm or 40. Any suggestions? Looking for something around the size of a glock 19. Thanks In advance
Posted By: gusick

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 07:56 PM

It's 2014. They do make compact 1911s in 9mm and 40 now. I know STI makes them. I'm sure there are others that I haven't seen yet.
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 09:36 PM

I won't carry a 1911 because it's an SAO. You either have to carry with the hammer cocked, or with the hammer down and have to thumb the hammer to get it into action. A lot of people carry them and have no problem, but it makes me uncomfortable.

I have nothing against carrying a hammer fired pistol, but would have to be a SA/DA. Can carry with hammer down and have a double action pull on the first and then single action every pull after till empty.

I typically carry Glock or Kahr that are striker fired DAO.

YMMV...
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 09:36 PM

S&W shield in either 9 or 40. Has a safety, and is a great shooter.
Posted By: Octopiston

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 09:49 PM

P239?
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 09:54 PM

Para-Ordnance has some nice options. The P-10 is nice and compact.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 09:58 PM

Sig P938.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 10:09 PM

FNX-40 - Hammer fired SA/DA with ambidextrous decocking/safety lever
Posted By: Adam O

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 10:24 PM

XDS .45acp, Glock 42, Ruger lcp or a Taurus tcp. You can pocket carry or IWB very easily.
Posted By: billybob

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 10:28 PM

Ruger LC9 has a safety and is very carryable...I've got the crimson trace laser for after 5 wear.
Posted By: target1911

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 10:31 PM

Para LDA.......LDA means light dbl action
they are sweet to shoot

Comment about 1911.....
Yes you carry them with the hammer back and safety on..COCKED N LOCKED
Even if the stars aligned just right and Haily's Comet struck the sun and made that hammer fall, they have a drop safety that prevents the gun from firing. They are very safe to carry. 1911s also have 3 safeties. ...thumb, grip and drop. They also will not fire unless the grip safety is pressed.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 10:34 PM

STI Shadow...9mm, mine is perfect for me and shoots very accurately.
Posted By: Jhendrix

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan
Sig P938.

I carry one sometimes, mostly in the summertime. Nice gun and shoots pretty good.
Posted By: Scary Poppins

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan
Sig P938.
Posted By: Skip

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/13/14 11:50 PM

S&w Shield in 9mm or .40 cal.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/14/14 03:05 PM

Kahr PM9
Posted By: janie

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/14/14 03:08 PM

Prolly get flamed for this, but invariably I'll have my S&W PD Airweight in .22WMR tucked in my ankle holster.
Posted By: jcneef

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/15/14 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
S&W shield in either 9 or 40. Has a safety, and is a great shooter.

up
Posted By: toolman

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/15/14 05:40 AM

I can order an gun I want (FFL) and I carry an LC9 every day. It's perfect for me due to the light weight and thin profile because I prefer IWB carry and have severe back trouble. That said, when it's cold (long coat/sweatshirt) I occasionally carry a full-sized 1911 butt-forward OWB @ 3:00.
Posted By: sirmike75

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/15/14 04:05 PM

Springfield EMP 9mm
Posted By: okjhutch

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/15/14 04:23 PM

look at the SCCY cpx-1, the cpx-1 model has a manual safety and the cpx-2 does not it is just like glock, they are a very dependable pistol, has life time warranty on the gun no matter who the owner is, and they are fairly cheap on the price and are good quality, i never would of thought about them, but i did some reasearch and torcher test they have done on them, and picked up one, it has supprised me very well, i would not hesitate to get another one. its easy to put them down but i would suggest not to until someone tries one out, you will be surprised on how good they really are. all this is just my own personal opinion, good luck
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Need concealed carry advice - 02/15/14 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: janie
Prolly get flamed for this, but invariably I'll have my S&W PD Airweight in .22WMR tucked in my ankle holster.

No flaming here. I think that's just plain cool!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum