Texas Hunting Forum

Identify gun model by serial# (is it possible)?

Posted By: Daven

Identify gun model by serial# (is it possible)? - 02/03/14 09:16 AM

Hey folks,
anyone know if it's possible to find out the model of a gun with just the brand and serial number? I am trying to get 3 abandoned guns from our command but only have brand, caliber, and serial#... Like to know what model they are to see how much effort I want to put in.... Simple thing is just go look at them but it's too much involved to get the right folks together (and me permission) to gain access to the arms room. They are:

1) Ruger .308 rifle SN# 77281608
2) S&W .40 cal pistol SN# VBF5548
3) S&W 12ga Pump SN# 232B66

Thanks, Dave
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Identify gun model by serial# (is it possible)? - 02/03/14 02:35 PM

I wonder if the manufacturers keep that kind of information forever. Might try to email ruger and S&W.

Re: Identify gun model by serial# (is it possible)? - 02/03/14 02:42 PM

I did... Just hoping for someone that may know and get an answer quicker that a few days... Seems the ruger is a mod#77 from either '83 or '90 (or somewhere in between?)... Knowing (thinking I know) that, the other two aren't really important because they will be no extra effort to get if I can get the ruger (whick I will try).

Thanks, Dave
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Identify gun model by serial# (is it possible)? - 02/03/14 07:01 PM

S&W pump Eastfield model 916 I think

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-long-guns/140297-s-w-model-916-shotgun-information.html

Re: Identify gun model by serial# (is it possible)? - 02/03/14 07:32 PM

thanks! Just talked to the owner of the rifle and pistol today... The rifle is a model 77 and the pistol he said looks like a .45... He hasn't seen either of them in 15+ years but said the pistol was never fired and the rifle about half a box of shells (he gave them both to me)..... I won't see them til I get them transferred into my name and on my permit (week or so?)... Will see the owner of the shotgun on Wednesday and am pretty sure I'll get it also... Then I can see exactly what I have.... Thanks.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Identify gun model by serial# (is it possible)? - 02/04/14 03:40 AM

You can send out for a letter. Ruger charges $10 per SN, or was it $20? Surely SW does something similar but I'd expect it to cost at least three times the rate of a Ruger.

Re: Identify gun model by serial# (is it possible)? - 02/06/14 02:00 PM

Just got an email back from S&W... No info on the shotgun but the pistol is a 4006 made in 1993. Turning out to be a hassle to keep these guns away from the foundry... Any idea the value of the pistol... All I know is that it was bought new and never been fired. The rifle is a 77 and I guess the shotgun is the 916 (showed the picture above to the guy that saw it and he confirmed).

Thanks, Dave

Re: Identify gun model by serial# (is it possible)? - 02/25/14 07:58 PM

Just picked these guns up... Shotgun is a S&W 916a w/ a long barrel and modified choke. Ruger 77 is nice and pistol is nice. never fired but missing the clip. The shotgun has seen plenty of abuse while floating around in the arms room for 20 years.... Butt stock is busted and a chunk missing. Any ideas where (or if) I could find a used stock and a slug barrel for it without spending a bunch of money on it?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum