Texas Hunting Forum

WIN 70 issue

Posted By: cmc

WIN 70 issue - 01/09/14 05:32 PM

Here's one I can't figure out. I have a .264 in model 70, I have owned it for ten years and its only had 100-120 down the pipe. Last time out to range it didn't eject a spent round, it happens sometimes I guess, I didn't think a lot about it at first. Ran a cleaning rod in got it out, next shot same deal so now something's wrong. Its only on fired rounds, if I run a spent brass in and close bolt it will eject it, if I run a live round in and do not fire it it will eject it but if I put a live round in fire it the claw of the bolt comes off the brass and it won't eject. There is no damage to brass, its like it somehow jumps off the brass. Any ideas here?
Posted By: toolman

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/09/14 05:47 PM

Is it a pre or post '64? If it's a post '64, I'd suspect a weak/worn extractor.

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/09/14 05:59 PM

It is post '64. Only having a small amount of rounds shot through it, it sucks if that's it. So what would be happening then if its weak? Why would it eject unfired rounds?
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/09/14 07:12 PM

Do the shot cases look rough? may need to buff your chamber if its not the extractor

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/09/14 07:28 PM

Nope brass looks normal, everything is smooth and bolt closes good opens good. Ill try to explain it better if I can. It seems like the pressure of the shot is somehow pushing the extractor behind the brass but there's no marks on the brass. Its like it jumps back over the case rim.
Posted By: GLC

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/09/14 07:40 PM

Have you tried different mfg's of ammo? Could be a pressure issue? When you push the round out is it snug or does it come right out?
Posted By: Poke81

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/10/14 01:27 AM

Your extractor is hanging if its a push feed. It probably has some dirt, grime, or shavings under it keeping it from moving. If its a CRF then there are deeper issues.

Post a picture of the bolt face.
Posted By: wetduck

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/10/14 01:35 AM

it crap i will give you 50 for it (lol)

pic of bolt and a spent case
Posted By: o2bwest

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/10/14 02:30 AM

could there be slop in the lugs allowing the bolt to bounce back a hair when the the round goes off?
Posted By: Karnis

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/10/14 03:25 AM

Clean the bolt face paying particular attention to the area underneath the extractor. If that doesn't solve the problem any gunsmith should be able to replace the part in just a few minutes. Not difficult and certainly not expensive.

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/10/14 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Have you tried different mfg's of ammo? Could be a pressure issue? When you push the round out is it snug or does it come right out?

All hand loads and have run three different loads with same results, no signs of pressure.
Originally Posted By: o2bwest
could there be slop in the lugs allowing the bolt to bounce back a hair when the the round goes off?

This is what I was thinking
Originally Posted By: Karnis
Clean the bolt face paying particular attention to the area underneath the extractor. If that doesn't solve the problem any gunsmith should be able to replace the part in just a few minutes. Not difficult and certainly not expensive.

Thoroughly cleaned and it didn't seem like it was stuck or sticking.

I think I'm just gonna take it to a smith before I get pissed and break something.
Posted By: Karnis

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/10/14 03:42 AM

You should be able to get it done for about $30 all in.
Posted By: toolman

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/10/14 05:18 AM

If you make it to Abilene any time soon, I'll be happy to look at it for you.

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/10/14 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: toolman
If you make it to Abilene any time soon, I'll be happy to look at it for you.

Very nice of you, thank you. I usually don't go to Abilene unless Graham is playing Wylie but thanks again.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: WIN 70 issue - 01/11/14 09:32 PM

So much for dangerous game in Africa? taz
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum