Texas Hunting Forum

Need help building a Lower!!

Posted By: BobG

Need help building a Lower!! - 10/18/13 10:53 PM

Hey guys, I finally got my seekins lower, and all the other parts to complete it in today. Now...I need to build it, but I don't know how.

I'm sure that I could YouTube it, but I would really hate to mess/lose/scratch something.

Please, if anyone in Lewisville or surrounding areas is free for a little while tonight or tomorrow, I'd really appreciate the help. I have no problem paying you, or providing the beer, just need it built by Sunday!

Thanks y'all
Posted By: Core-Lokt

Re: Need help building a Lower!! - 10/18/13 11:25 PM

I hope you get some local help, but I'll tell you a few things that may help if you want to go it alone.

1) Use tape to protect vulnerable surfaces.

2) Lightly ream the trigger guard pin holes by manually-turning the proper-sized drill bit. Sometimes there is a slight mis-alignment that makes drifting the pin a little difficult.

3) Place the receiver in a big Ziplock back when installing the detents in case the spring ejects it.

4) Something like an old credit card is helpful to install the detents as it won't mar the surface.

5) Don't let the hammer fly forward and smack the receiver.
Posted By: rvrrat14

Re: Need help building a Lower!! - 10/19/13 12:25 AM

Check brownells website. They have a learning center and will show you step by step videos.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Need help building a Lower!! - 10/19/13 03:07 AM

It's really pretty easy to do just take your time
Posted By: BobG

Re: Need help building a Lower!! - 10/19/13 05:52 AM

I actually did end up watching a couple of youtube videos and got it together real quick. Never thought it would be that easy! Thanks for the help guys
Posted By: theserxtremedays

Re: Need help building a Lower!! - 10/22/13 02:31 AM

Once you have the first one under your belt they get much easier. The one tip I learned the hard way is the front takedown pin. to install the detent and spring take a razor blade in a box cutter or just a blade and use that along with a pair of needle nose pliers to push it down then slide the pin in place over that it eliminates the pin going flying, most of the time anyways. That's the one part that seems to be a pain.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Need help building a Lower!! - 10/22/13 03:15 AM

I'm just waiting to hear the first person who slices their fingers with doing that. Yes, I did it myself. Lol
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Need help building a Lower!! - 10/22/13 05:23 PM

A 3x5 notecard works just as well.

As far as I can tell, the only specialized tool that you REALLY need to build an AR15 is the wrench for the barrel nut. You can improvise just about everything else.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Need help building a Lower!! - 10/22/13 07:10 PM

What about a wrench for the castle nut?

Also this is the newest thing to sliced bread...

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...-prod27452.aspx

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum