Texas Hunting Forum

AR scope?

Posted By: 2Gs

AR scope? - 09/15/13 04:52 PM

I just bought a DPMS .223/5.56 and want to start accesorisng it. I am thinking about starting with a P223 4-12x40 and pairing it with a ND3-AR subzero. Good choice or should I look at something different? Thanks.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: AR scope? - 09/15/13 05:24 PM

I have a Leupold Mark AR 3-9X on mine. It is my coyote and long range varmint gun.

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: AR scope? - 09/15/13 05:29 PM

For around the same price I'd get the vortex diamondback rather than a Nikon . . And get a kill light rather than the nd3 . Nd3 is small concentrated beam , kill light is way better IMO
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: AR scope? - 09/15/13 05:46 PM

I have the Leupold Mark-ar 3-9x40 on an AR15 and a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 on an LR308. I think the Vortex is every bit as good at a significant savings.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: AR scope? - 09/15/13 06:52 PM

I like the Leupold ar models or a regular leopold in a vx2.

I would go with a much cheaper light and put the money saved into your optic. I like the vxr leopold on ar's because of the illuminated dot.

I would never pay hundreds for a nd3
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: AR scope? - 09/15/13 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I like the Leupold ar models or a regular leopold in a vx2.

I would go with a much cheaper light and put the money saved into your optic. I like the vxr leopold on ar's because of the illuminated dot.

I would never pay hundreds for a nd3

My Mark AR has the Firedot, and I really like it at night or in low light. Broad daylight, hard to see.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: AR scope? - 09/15/13 08:10 PM

Another vote for the Mark AR, but a vortex would work just fine as well
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: AR scope? - 09/15/13 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan
I have the Leupold Mark-ar 3-9x40 on an AR15 and a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 on an LR308. I think the Vortex is every bit as good at a significant savings.

I have the same vortex on my .223 wylde and my .204 ... For the price I really like em . I would not hesitate to buy another
Posted By: SOTB

Re: AR scope? - 09/15/13 11:40 PM

This thread is super opportune. Thanks!!!!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: AR scope? - 09/16/13 02:02 AM

I've tried multiple AR 5.56/.223 dedicated 55 grain scopes. Nikon and Leupold are both very good for the money. I've changed direction and went with a mil dot scope because I like the idea of shooting different weight bullets.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: AR scope? - 09/16/13 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
I've tried multiple AR 5.56/.223 dedicated 55 grain scopes. Nikon and Leupold are both very good for the money. I've changed direction and went with a mil dot scope because I like the idea of shooting different weight bullets.

Bingo! Smart man!

I want an SS 1-6X Mil/Mil, so bad I can taste it. But I've got plenty other places to put the money right now.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: AR scope? - 09/16/13 02:43 AM

Put my vote in for the P-223 Nikon scope. Hard to beat that one for the money.
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: AR scope? - 09/16/13 03:42 AM

I have a little different outlook. I think you're likely to eventually get frustrated with a lot of magnification on your AR. I love the AR15 platform, but it just doesn't really do what bolt rifles do as well as bolt rifles. Unless you're talking about varmint/predator setups (which excel for that purpose), the .223/5.56 in some semblance of a military configuration is about a 250 yard HUNTING rifle. I think that even a 3-9x is over magnified and you're locking yourself out of some of the most fun shooting with an AR. For that reason, you may want to at least consider one of the 1-4x options; it gives you plenty for shooting to the practical limits of the round's hunting range and still let's you dial down and shoot with both eyes open at close range.
Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: AR scope? - 09/16/13 07:43 PM

You will not like the subzero I had one. The problem with it is you need to spot the prey prior to looking through the scope and in total darkness it does not work at all. its like trying to find a football on a football feild looking through a straw. if you want to hunt at night get this.

Posted By: okstatefan

Re: AR scope? - 09/16/13 08:44 PM

I can't give a report on the Kill Light, but I did pick one up yesterday.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum