Texas Hunting Forum

Need help on a Remington Mohawk

Posted By: Chad Hill

Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/02/13 10:51 PM

I have always wanted a Mohawk and I just was able to buy one in a 243. My question is how do you get the bolt out? Thanks, Chad
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/02/13 11:15 PM

Take a thin pocket knife or screwdriver and insert it into the rear of the receiver immediately to the left of the cocking piece (into the left raceway). The tool will depress a spring-loaded latch/lever and the bolt will slide out.

An inconvenient job, to say the least.....
Posted By: dee

Re: Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/02/13 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Take a thin pocket knife or screwdriver and insert it into the rear of the receiver immediately to the left of the cocking piece (into the left raceway). The tool will depress a spring-loaded latch/lever and the bolt will slide out.

Yet it is still one of the greatest rifles made.
Posted By: smithwr

Re: Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/02/13 11:58 PM

Been trying to get a guy at work to turn loose of one for two years. Won't even discuss it.

Re: Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/03/13 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: dee

I agree with you, and I currently own 2 Mohawks. But it seems as if Remington gave it a bolt stop but forgot to add a release button.
Posted By: dee

Re: Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/03/13 01:48 AM

I agree with you, and I currently own 2 Mohawks. But it seems as if Remington gave it a bolt stop but forgot to add a release button.

Only own one in 243 my first rifle from my father, sadly missed out on a 6mm a few years ago. I do believe the release was an after thought.
Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/03/13 03:31 AM

At 13 and just smarter than everyone else I traded a mint Mohawk in 6mm. Took 28 years to get a replacement.
Posted By: Chad Hill

Re: Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/03/13 03:36 PM

Thanks for the help, i will try that. I looked everywhere for it. When i was a kid hunting with my father, we hunted with a guy that had one and I always wanted one. 30 years later i got one. It is a 243 and in very nice condition. I will use it and pass it on to my son in a few years. Thats what it is all about.
Posted By: ckat

Re: Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/03/13 09:02 PM

FYI - you can retrofit a 700-style release on your 600s for about $25.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/952968/heritage-arms-inc-700-style-bolt-release-remington-600

Re: Need help on a Remington Mohawk - 04/04/13 03:20 AM

Only own one in 243 my first rifle from my father, sadly missed out on a 6mm a few years ago. I do believe the release was an after thought.

Ha! One of mine is a .243. The other is a 6mm Remmy. Fun and handy rifles, even if they do look like ray guns, as the very staid Jack O'Connor once described them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum