Texas Hunting Forum

Remington 700 barrel swap

Posted By: theserxtremedays

Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 02:47 AM

I currently have a remington 700 in 338 win mag, its a great gun but I am wanting a 300 win mag to reload my own ammo, and since I have several other rifles that shoot .30 caliber bullets it just seems to make sense to do that. I know I can swap barrels and need the proper wrench and vice to do it, and the barrel needs to be headspaced to make sure it is set right before I start putting rounds through it. My question is simply if I take a barrel from a remington 700 in 300 wm and put it on my rifle would that work? Thanks again for anyone who might have a answer.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 11:58 AM

it might it might not, headspace is the issue, it could tighten down and be correct or it wont, you wont know untill you do it.
i just change my barrel yesterday on a vanguard with a factory take off barrel. took about 80ft/lb to get the head space correct, i got lucky
Posted By: Core-Lokt

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 12:07 PM

You could have the replacement barrel shank slightly shortened, install and use a finish reamer to headspace to your bolt.

You could also have a Rem(ington)(Sav)Age conversion done to the new barrel. Instead of a shouldered barrel, the conversion uses a straight, threaded shank and a barrel nut like a Savage to headspace with.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 01:38 PM

There is a video on youtube bby Midway USA that shows how to install an aftermarket short chambered Remington 700 barrel onto an existing action. Sorry, I don't have access to youtube in the office.
I'm sure it won't answer all your questions, but it defintely helped me understand the process.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 02:44 PM

Those dang Savages with a barrel nut are looking pretty good now. grin
Posted By: theserxtremedays

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 02:56 PM

Thanks, I had read a few websites info and looked at midway and a few other places. I'll look at those savage conversion barrels as well.
Posted By: furdown

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 03:06 PM

Benchmark started making the rem-age barrels. They use the same wrench as a savage.
Posted By: beech96w

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 07:13 PM

The simple answer is, "it might".

It might headspace right on, and you're done.

It might headspace short and need to be reamed a hair.

It might headspace short. Then the barrel needs to be removed, the shoulder bumped back, and the chamber reamed in to headspace.

If you're just looking for a off the shelf Rem barreled .300wm, you might just get another rifle.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 11:37 PM

I'll have a Rem 700 300 WM barrel with 30 rounds down the tube available as soon as I get my rifle back from the smith. grin
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/12/13 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

they sure are, if only savage could get them to cycle worth a darn, until then im not interested.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/13/13 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
I currently have a remington 700 in 338 win mag, its a great gun but I am wanting a 300 win mag to reload my own ammo, and since I have several other rifles that shoot .30 caliber bullets it just seems to make sense to do that. I know I can swap barrels and need the proper wrench and vice to do it, and the barrel needs to be headspaced to make sure it is set right before I start putting rounds through it. My question is simply if I take a barrel from a remington 700 in 300 wm and put it on my rifle would that work? Thanks again for anyone who might have a answer.

The way you worded your question I say don't even try, just take it to a good smith and have him do it.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/13/13 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: vanguard
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

they sure are, if only savage could get them to cycle worth a darn, until then im not interested.

Really don't know what you're talking about.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/15/13 06:39 AM

Go to a smith. He'll probably have a spare factory barrel laying around. By the time you buy the "right" tools you couldve bought another rifle.
Posted By: Core-Lokt

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/15/13 01:11 PM

^You can rent reamers, but for a one-time deal, I agree it might be better to go to a gunsmith.
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/15/13 07:29 PM

Think Recoil Lug....

available in different thicknesses.
can also be milled/ground.

to make headspace.
Posted By: Humble pie

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/15/13 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: timbertoes
Think Recoil Lug....

available in different thicknesses.
can also be milled/ground.

to make headspace.

This.... Also anyone with a lathe and a couple of test indicators can move the barrel to lug face back if the headspace needs to be just shortened.

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/15/13 09:12 PM

LOL,
I also understand how much $$$$$$$$$
machines and tooling costs...
a grinding machine is way out of my Wallet.

the rate for typical gunsmiths is a BARGAIN compared to the investment.
Posted By: Humble pie

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/15/13 09:15 PM

Yeah, Being a machinist I always think it is easy, but it isn't for someone without those skills.

Re: Remington 700 barrel swap - 03/15/13 09:18 PM

Got a DRO setup a while back.

Now, I know how precise my mistake was. wink
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum