Texas Hunting Forum

Assembly of AR 15 lower question

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 04:10 AM

Who on this form does assembly of AR lowers? I have my kit and would like to pay someone with experience to assembly.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 04:19 AM

Pm sent I'm in mesquite as well
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 04:49 AM

A guy PokerJ2 in Wylie and I are thinking of getting together to figure it out also.
We need some supervision!
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 04:53 AM

I watched the cmmg video several times and put three together last week.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 04:55 AM

Tanner is good people! When I sell a lower kit, I send them to CMMG site. look at the computer animated lower build on the site, it's very well done. tanner how's that 300 BLK running ?
Posted By: gbeard

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 05:06 AM

I just put one together a few minutes ago. The is a good step by step guide on arfcom if you need guidence. Its really very simple
Posted By: gbeard

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 05:15 AM

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_.html
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 05:21 AM

This is what I've used for instruction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w&list=FL2TvKmVBWw75xTw8crbiWUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M&list=FL2TvKmVBWw75xTw8crbiWUw

First one took an hour maybe. If I can do it, so can you.
Posted By: Alan D

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 06:14 AM

Plenty of good videos out there and assembly is pretty easy. Just take your time, have patience, and don't break the ears off the trigger guard.

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: boonee
Tanner is good people! When I sell a lower kit, I send them to CMMG site. look at the computer animated lower build on the site, it's very well done. tanner how's that 300 BLK running ?

Sold that puppy for $2450 on gunbroker
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: tannerlst
Originally Posted By: boonee

Sold that puppy for $2450 on gunbroker

LOL!!!

Back on subject -
Yeah, they are pretty easy to assemble.
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 03:31 PM

Do you really need all the tools? I have 2 that I'm gonna be putting together and was gonna try it without all the fancy gear.

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 04:44 PM

What fancy gear do u speak of ? It's a lower . A hammer and punch will pretty much do it . U do need a ar15 wrench to tighten the castle nut on the buffer tube though without messing it up .
Posted By: 100%TEXAN

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 05:50 PM

Just be careful when using the punch and dont slip. Hate to scratch up a new lower. And the front takedown pin can be a bitch.

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 05:53 PM

Once you do one the rest are gravy.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 05:58 PM

If I remember right from my assemblies, a razorblade works to hold the detent and spring well while you slide the pin in.

But the assembly can be done with a hammer and punch easily. If you don't have punches, you can use some pliers and channellocks very carefully. I did my first one that way, and it turned out great. Tape the ends of everything, and oil roll pins before you put them in. But you run the risk of mushrooming the pins.

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 06:05 PM

I use a small flat head screw driver for the front take down. And I cover the surrounding area when using a punch. Just in case.
Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 08:23 PM

I do them as well bud. I am down to about 10 minutes now from start to finish.
Posted By: The Boar Buster

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 09:23 PM

I build quite a few. I have put together 8 in the last month.
I dont use punches,I use vice grips with tape over the jaws. Pins just slide in. I use a razor blade for the font detnet pin.
I usually have a few extras just in case.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/30/12 11:27 PM

I like the razor blade tip. That was my most hated part of the build.
Posted By: captcrunch227

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/31/12 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: The Boar Buster
I build quite a few. I have put together 8 in the last month.
I dont use punches,I use vice grips with tape over the jaws. Pins just slide in. I use a razor blade for the font detnet pin.
I usually have a few extras just in case.

Vice grip C clamp of vice grip pliers? Gonna put one together soon too so this is a helpful thread.
Posted By: ebfc

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/31/12 01:44 AM

On roll pins you need to use a roll pin punch. It has a litte bump on the face to keep the punch on the pin. Some say you don't need one but I find the tool to put in the front pin detent and spring very handy. You can make one easy enough. Look it up on Brownells.

Probaby the front take down pin gives the most problem. Second is that you need to support the back side of the trigger guard when you put in the roll pin. Easy to break off the "ear" . Also you need to put a piece of electrical tape
in front of the bot release before you drive in the pin just in case.
Posted By: That 1 GUy

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/31/12 03:33 PM

LOL, I watched one youtube video, had one pair of ordinary pliers and a 3'x12'' workout bench that I built my first one on and had NO issues, NO scratches. Watch a video, jump in and prepare to take on a new addiction.

Also, never had trouble with the front takedown detent...not sure what is going on here as I just put the spring in, the detent and pushed both down with the pin until it would slide through the holes, no razor blade or awkward hand positions...
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 12/31/12 08:55 PM

I assemble them with nothing more than a set of punches, a small tack hammer, and a small piece of plywood to do the Trigger guard with. Super easy to put together a lower.
Posted By: Adelbridge

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 01/01/13 12:54 AM

wrap your lower in masking tape and double wrap it near the front take down pin housing.
Posted By: Derek717

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 01/02/13 03:06 AM

It's not too tough, I learned how to from my bunk mate in Iraq on a govt issued M4. Good luck, post pics!

Re: Assembly of AR 15 lower question - 01/03/13 03:26 AM

Post up some pics joe
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum