Texas Hunting Forum

Mcmillan stocks

Posted By: P & Y

Mcmillan stocks - 11/27/12 11:56 PM

I am about to order a new stock for my rem model seven. I have narrowed it down to the bell and carleson at 250.00 or the mcmillan at 511.00. The mcmillan would be fully inletted at this price with molded in camo pattern. For you guys that have mcmillans are they worth the money and wait? With such a gap in pricing i want to get this right the first time. I am somewhat concerned due to a B&C i had on a sps. The barrel channel on the stock was not straight. It didnt affect the accuracy but looked bad and bothered me once i noticed it.

With the mcmillan you can also order it in specific weights. I talked to them today and they said their standard sporter comes in at 2lbs. Depending on the fill they could make it as heavy as 5lbs. I am wanting to put a stock on that is slightly heavier than the factory tupperware stock. Have any of you had heavier stocks made? if so, how much weight did you add?
Posted By: furdown

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 12:28 AM

I love my McMillan, I have an A5. One thing that you need to know about the molded colors is there is a chance of the fiberglass tape showing on the stock. McMillan states this on their site, it's just due to how they are made. Some are small and I have seen some that have big spots. They consider the molded colors their field grade stock. If you go with a painted stock, their quality stock, it's sanded down and painted for a nice finish. If you look on their site you can find the info. With all of that said, a McMillan will go on my next build.
Posted By: dee

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 12:35 AM

Another thing to remember is the Mcmillan will require bedding.
Posted By: oulufinn

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 12:48 AM

You will not regret buying the McMillan if the extra money doesn't put you in a bind. I have both & while the B&C is just fine, the McMillans just seem to feel better & maybe it's the geometry of the stock, but they seem to transmit less recoil.

The HS Precision stocks I've had almost seem to magnify recoil.

Also. Any stock will be more consistent if properly bedded. No matter the brand. Bedding block, or not.
Posted By: BMD

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: oulufinn
You will not regret buying the McMillan if the extra money doesn't put you in a bind. I have both & while the B&C is just fine, the McMillans just seem to feel better & maybe it's the geometry of the stock, but they seem to transmit less recoil.

The HS Precision stocks I've had almost seem to magnify recoil.

Also. Any stock will be more consistent if properly bedded. No matter the brand. Bedding block, or not.

^^^^this^^^^

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 01:11 AM

I would like to see how bad these "spots" are on the molded stocks. It is a field rifle but i want it to look nice! Anyone have any close up pics of one of the molded stocks.I read about the blems but they dont have any good close up pics on their site.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 01:14 AM

I have a McMillan classic on my sps..like it a lot
Posted By: BMD

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 01:18 AM

Are you talking about the swirlys?
Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 01:24 AM

guess I am old school, I stick with beautiful standard walnut stocks, to me so beautiful...Boyds usually works for me for a fraction of a Mcmillan unless you just got to have one, glad I dont.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 01:25 AM

Really like my A-5. Yes they are expensive, and yes the 3 + month wait is no fun. But when I ordered mine I told myself this will be my stock for life, might as well get what I want and get quality. The inletting, look, and functionality has not disappointed.

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 02:44 AM

The one i want is the gap camo. I think the swirly stocks look cool but not what im looking for. The gap camo isnt as busy as a swirly and will probly show blems worse. The boyds stocks are nice, i have one i havent put on a rifle yet. It is a nice looking stock for sure. I just gotta have something that will take a beating for this model seven. Im hard on my field guns!
Posted By: signal5

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 03:31 AM

Manner composite stocks may be something else to consider
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 03:40 AM

I echo Signal.

I've used McMillan but I find Manners to produce a better stock. Ergonomics and material feels to be a higher quality. Same price point too.

Just something to check out.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 10:49 PM

I have a McMillan Tooley MBR on my 6mmBR bench gun and I really like it. You might try Bruno's in AZ, they stock (no pun intended) a bunch of McMillan's and I didn't have to wait. I didn't get the colors I would've chosen but black and red looks good.
Posted By: dee

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 11:49 PM

Also check bugholes.com as well as http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/ might make it a little less pain full if the product can be in hand sooner.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 11:51 PM

Holland gunsmiting supply also
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/28/12 11:57 PM

McMillian stocks are top notch, also check Manners composite stocks.

I have a Mc HTG and a Manners MCS-T and both are as good as it gets.

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/29/12 01:14 AM

Not one of those guys has a mcmillan model seven stock. I do appreciate the help though.It looks like the manners hunting stocks only come in four models.I know that most stocks made for the 700 can be inletted for the model seven. With the model seven being so small and short barreled i want a stock that is made for it.
Posted By: furdown

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/29/12 02:00 AM

i looked for the pics I had seen and cant find them, it was on snipers hide. Mine is not bad at all, most arent. I just wanted to let you know. I will be getting another next year and it will be a molded one
Posted By: AlaskaCub

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/29/12 03:14 AM

I think the coolest part about the Mc's is ordering a molded in color combo that makes the wait all the more exciting. That one on your SPS BoBo is the only solid colored one I ever ordered. I love me some McSwirly! In big kickers the recoil difference is amazingly different, dont ask me why as I am not that smart but I know I can feel a big difference. Its a lot like shooting a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM and shooting a Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM its really not comparible Kimber got that stock design right!

Pics arent great but heres a couple.

375 Ruger in a Olive/Grey/blk combo

338 WM in similar colors but more light color

Posted By: coyotekiller

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 11/29/12 06:31 AM

Order it with "sniperfill" it is more dense than the standard fill and will not require pillars but bedding is definantly reccommended.

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 03:24 AM

Had to bring this thing back from the dead to show yall how my molded in camo mcmillan came out. Ordered the stock in December and just got it like two weeks ago. The 4 month wait they told me was not even close. It looks a little worse than I had really expected, as far as sanding marks and the lines where the mold comes together. The colors were also smeared in some places. It is a field rifle and will see rain and dirt all season so im not that worried about the cosmetics. The fit was spot on. Floated to the face of the recoil lug without bedding.All in all I am happy I went with mcmillan and will be ordering another. Probably sooner than later with a 7 1/2 month wait time.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 03:28 AM

Looks awesome. Nice glass too!
Posted By: tx outlaw

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 03:34 AM

You got yourself a heck of a gun there congrats
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 11:18 AM

Looks good.

Now give Manners a try. I have a McMillan, and a Manners, and I will be getting another Manners when the time comes. No complaints about the quality of workmanship with the Manners, my Manners is lighter than my Mcmillan, and Manners is a big supporter of Tactical Long Range Shooters. Mcmillan does nothing to support us.
Posted By: tgrghostrider

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 12:33 PM

nice glass...
Posted By: sactoller

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 01:54 PM

You will really like the Mcmillan. As said, nice scope, but I would find lower rings, but that is just me.

Here is my 6.5-06AI in GAP.

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 02:55 PM

Thanks yall. It's taking a ride over to chad at dallas reloads this week for load work up. I am ready to get this thing on the range and chunk some lead.

Nice looking 6.5 06 sactoller, im a fan of the 6.5s also, mine is a 260.
Posted By: sactoller

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 03:05 PM

Yep, the 6.5's are fun! They be skookum!
Posted By: NTEX

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 03:13 PM

Started with a AICS and then went to McMillan. Received a Manners MCST in a trade and didn't like the feel. McMillan is a good company with equal customer support.

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 03:37 PM

I just got my first Mcmillan yesterday from a long wait
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 04:21 PM

Isnt the wait up to 8 months now? I wanted a swirly for my latest projecy but the eight month wait is a killer.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7596677/1

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 04:35 PM

Yes it is that long. Crazy
Posted By: NTEX

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 04:46 PM

There are some places you can buy off the shelf but limited to color, barrel contour, inlets, etc.

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 07:30 PM

I ordered mine January 10th. It may be a tad shorter now because there was a mad rush before a price increase.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Mcmillan stocks - 08/09/13 07:50 PM

That turned out great. As some others had said I am a fan of Manners also it took about 18 weeks for me to get my last one that I just had built.

walter
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum