Texas Hunting Forum

9mm

Posted By: fishonmyline

9mm - 11/22/12 02:37 AM

I want to buy a 9mm. I did some research and it seems there are a ton to choose from. Any favorites out there or one's to stay away from. I'm a real novice when it come to semi auto pistols.
Posted By: ju993rnaut

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 02:56 AM

IMHO the quintessential 9mm handgun of the century is the glock 9mm(17,26,19). It's durability, reliability and fairly high capacity and relatively light weight really set the standard for modern duty type pistols to be measured.

Bring it on sig, cz and beretta lovers popcorn

All great pistols as well.
Posted By: Jester

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 02:56 AM

I have a taurus that I like, but it is a LONG trigger pull. My wife has a Hi-point(very smooth shooting gun), they are inexpensive and pretty accurate. My Father in law also has a Hi-point, he also has a Sig I believe.
Posted By: ebfc

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 03:12 AM

Buy a Glock 19. Then get into 9mm's, buy your dream gun, sell the 19. Then try several more, keep a few but figure you want one 9mm that is going to be the "right" size and works all the time. Then try to buy back your Glock 19. Oh and make it a Gen 3.
Posted By: JimTX

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 03:12 AM

Ditto on the Glock. I think it is the best pistol for the money when one considers quality, reliability, magazine cost/availability. They are simple to operate. No decocker or external safety. PD trade in guns are often available at discounted prices and they still have a lot of life left in them.

All around great gun.
Posted By: one73maro

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 03:35 AM

I would go with the Glock 19.
Posted By: Mr. Scott

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 03:52 AM

Aimsurplus has gen 2 Glock 19s for $370
Factor in shipping and FFL fees and you're at about 425. For that money I'd get a new Sig 2022 at academy.
Posted By: fishonmyline

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 03:54 AM

I was looking at the Taurus @ academy. Any info on those. Seems the glock is the way to go.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 04:27 AM

Glock makes good pistols but I like the feel of Springfield XDs better and shoot them better. No glock blocks for me
Posted By: Jimbo302

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 05:05 AM

I'm a big fan of my Ruger P95 for am economical buy.
Posted By: rustytxrx

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 05:09 AM

I have a G26 and G34. My wife shoots a XD sub compact and XDM 5.25. I have competed with both the G34 and XDM. After a few shots thru either I can't tell much differnce. Both guns are stock out of the box except for the sights on the G34.

At IDPA Nationals G34 had largeet piece of the pie as for as users. G34 also captured highest score (Bob Vogle likely had more to do with that the gun).

I am for either one ya like. smile

Rusty
Texas, I luv u

PS S&W M&P Pro had the next biggest piece of the pie.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 05:17 AM

All I shoot is 9mm, I've gone through sig, glock, 1911's in 9mm, Taurus, ruger, and many more... I'm going back to glock, just traded for a G19 tonight and looking to trade my other 1911 for a G17. I shoot them good they eat anything and go bang every single time.
Posted By: maximum

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 05:22 AM

colt officer's acp or glock 30
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 05:24 AM

I'm going to throw another into the mix: M&P9. I have one and enjoy shooting it more than a Glock. S&W hit the nail on the head with the M&P. Better ergonomics, still has a plethora of after-market and American made, which is important to me.

Glock, Springfield, M&P, Sig, none will be a bad choice. I recommend going to a range and renting a few different models to see what you find most comfortable and is easy for you to operate and shoot..
Posted By: Savage388

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By: one73maro
I would go with the Glock 19.

I carry a Glock 19 every day. I trust my life to it. IMO you cannot go wrong by making your first 9mm a Glock 19.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 07:15 AM

Browning hi power.

If that's too expensive and don't like the 1911 platform...then get the G19.

But remember.......9mm, no way! Because shooting twice is just silly!

smile

Shane
Posted By: lharrell79

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 01:31 PM

Glock and XD Service models are at the top of the list. As for which one to buy, it really depends on which one feels the best. Most people either love the feel of the XD and hate the feel of the Glock, or the other way around.

S&W, Ruger, Sig make some nice pistols as well.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: fishonmyline
I want to buy a 9mm. I did some research and it seems there are a ton to choose from. Any favorites out there or one's to stay away from. I'm a real novice when it come to semi auto pistols.

My #1 choice would be SIG then Browning Hi-Power then Springfield. Glocks are good pistols their accurate and reliable but I will not own a plastic pistol though I would recommend them.
Posted By: Old_Town

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 02:38 PM

Glocks are hard to beat. If you don't like polymer framed guns go with a Sig P226 or a CZ-75.

The XD is the best Glock copy on the market.

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 03:44 PM

Don't know what your budget is, but I have a 1911 9mm for sale here on the forum.
Posted By: KC

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 04:03 PM

If you are a Hi-Power fan there are some great deals on FN made Brownings on Gunbroker right now. Service grade pistols going for ~$400.

You really cannot go wrong with a mainstream design from a reputable manufacturer. I am a lot like Kroyal, heck, probably a little worse truth be told. I trade guns all the time. If it wasn't given to me as a gift, then it has an average life span of about 4 months before it bores me and I send it packing. That has resulted in me "adopting" dozens of handguns over the last several years. I've never had a Beretta, CZ, Glock, S&W, Sig, or Ruger fail me. With the exception of one poorly machined revolver, I've been well served by Taurus as well. I've owned two Rock Islands, nary a bobble from either. Every Kel Tec I've ever owned has digested everything I've fed it and never complained.

My current favorites are the CZ75 and the Beretta 92, for various reasons. The 92 regularly lasts our troops 30,000 rounds plus without major parts failure, and there are reports of CZ's with over 75,000 rounds fired without mechanical failure. Glocks have gone six figures as well. We live in the golden age of firearms. They are safe, affordable, function right out of the box, and with reasonable care last a lifetime.

So with all that said, visit a box store, handle everything you think you might like, or even better visit a range and rent them, then buy the one that feels best to you. Don't let $50-100 sway you if you plan on keeping it forever, you'll get that much more enjoyment out of a handgun that fits you well.
Posted By: blancoman

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 04:31 PM

Glocks are like Craftsman Hammers. They work every time but they sure are dull. like the hammer, no personality. Every Glock looks like every Glock. I know a collector that has over a dozen 2000 dollar guns. So what is his carry gun? A Glock. Dependable, reliable, easy to use. Just no imagination. No custom grips, no stainless or nickle, no engraving, no looks.
Posted By: Jester

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: fishonmyline
I was looking at the Taurus @ academy. Any info on those. Seems the glock is the way to go.

This I believe is the one that I have.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores...9mm&Ntk=All

it is smaller than my Wife's Hi-point, I got my Concealed carry using my Taurus, but would prefer a Sig or something like that. All depends on what you are willing to spend.

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: KC
If you are a Hi-Power fan there are some great deals on FN made Brownings on Gunbroker right now. Service grade pistols going for ~$400.

You really cannot go wrong with a mainstream design from a reputable manufacturer. I am a lot like Kroyal, heck, probably a little worse truth be told. I trade guns all the time. If it wasn't given to me as a gift, then it has an average life span of about 4 months before it bores me and I send it packing. That has resulted in me "adopting" dozens of handguns over the last several years. I've never had a Beretta, CZ, Glock, S&W, Sig, or Ruger fail me. With the exception of one poorly machined revolver, I've been well served by Taurus as well. I've owned two Rock Islands, nary a bobble from either. Every Kel Tec I've ever owned has digested everything I've fed it and never complained.

My current favorites are the CZ75 and the Beretta 92, for various reasons. The 92 regularly lasts our troops 30,000 rounds plus without major parts failure, and there are reports of CZ's with over 75,000 rounds fired without mechanical failure. Glocks have gone six figures as well. We live in the golden age of firearms. They are safe, affordable, function right out of the box, and with reasonable care last a lifetime.

So with all that said, visit a box store, handle everything you think you might like, or even better visit a range and rent them, then buy the one that feels best to you. Don't let $50-100 sway you if you plan on keeping it forever, you'll get that much more enjoyment out of a handgun that fits you well.

cheers ain't that the truth lol.
Posted By: Koenig

Re: 9mm - 11/22/12 07:02 PM

Glock.
Posted By: janie

Re: 9mm - 11/23/12 01:10 AM

Glock. Look up Glock torture test on U-tube. These firearms are like a Timex watch.
Posted By: Scary Poppins

Re: 9mm - 11/23/12 02:22 AM

Glock for sure, if this is your first, or if you even have to ask. "Glock" and "reliable" are 2 words that go hand in hand.

Don't like Taurus's semi-auto's... they may look pretty on paper, but don't bet your life on one.

You may also consider a more effective caliber, but that's a whole nother topic
Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: 9mm - 11/23/12 02:33 AM

Only two guns in 9mm I would recommend now that will handle any kind of ammunition on the market from standard load to +P and +P+. The Glock family and Ruger p95. The Glock 19 is definitely the most versatile since it is compact and with an adequate length barrel to get the velocity needed for Hollow point expansion.
Beretta, Sig, Smith Wesson metal framed guns are too heavy and cannot handle +P+ ammo.
Posted By: KC

Re: 9mm - 11/23/12 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: ggarciatx
Only two guns in 9mm I would recommend now that will handle any kind of ammunition on the market from standard load to +P and +P+. The Glock family and Ruger p95. The Glock 19 is definitely the most versatile since it is compact and with an adequate length barrel to get the velocity needed for Hollow point expansion.
Beretta, Sig, Smith Wesson metal framed guns are too heavy and cannot handle +P+ ammo.

There's really no such thing as "+p+", it's a marketing gimmick. I guarantee you that those metal framed guns can eat just as many high pressure loads as any others and keep on ticking.
Posted By: aandrew610

Re: 9mm - 11/23/12 10:58 AM

I too would go with a glock!! they are amazing guns for the price i just recently got myself a glock 17

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: DMW

Re: 9mm - 11/23/12 08:55 PM

Glock 19, absolutely!
Posted By: shooter60

Re: 9mm - 11/23/12 10:38 PM

I like the S&W M&P but I put the Apex trigger in it great shooting gun
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: 9mm - 11/25/12 02:51 AM

http://www.best9mm.com/
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: 9mm - 11/25/12 02:58 AM

i used to own a glock...Until i bought a springfield. Got rid of the glock and now I will never own another one. Ugliest gun on the market in my opinion. Springfields are every bit as reliable and durable as a glock.
Posted By: Hikingman

Re: 9mm - 11/25/12 03:01 AM

Beware of people that tell you what to buy with your money. coach

Try them, or spend time shopping for awhile before spending your hard earned cash. After owning many makes/models one-at-a-time...Sig is my current favorite handgun! Of all that I've sold, I miss the Springfield stainless GI .45 the most.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: 9mm - 11/25/12 03:18 AM

My favorites are Glock. Sig, XD and CZ. Al these have been extremely reliable and all are more accurate than I am.

Joe
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: 9mm - 11/25/12 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: RWH24

They left the Browning High Power off of that list. Also for used guns Star made some great 9mm's.
Posted By: texfork

Re: 9mm - 11/25/12 07:01 PM

Sig up
Posted By: jeff2003

Re: 9mm - 11/26/12 12:41 AM

Springfield XD Sub Compact!
Posted By: ralph

Re: 9mm - 11/26/12 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo302

Could not have said it better myself. Another vote for the P95!
Posted By: IHateFeralPigs

Re: 9mm - 11/26/12 01:41 AM

i use to carry an HK P7M8, thats the squeeze-cocker 9mm..the M8 have a mag release by the trigger guard and the regular P7 has it on the heel of the gun...they are accurate because they have a fixed barrel on the frame, they are fast into action because all you do to take the safety off is squeeze the gun and they are fast to reload because of the fixed barrel and straight up push to load the mags..not angled like all other pistols...i've owned or shot almost all of the other brands but this is the 9 i liked the best...the manual of arms is much different with this pistol than other guns so i would not recommend it for self defence unless you are totally dedicated to this design
Posted By: Jimbo302

Re: 9mm - 11/26/12 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: ralph
Originally Posted By: Jimbo302

Could not have said it better myself. Another vote for the P95!

Except I now notice I typed "am" instead of "an", D'oh.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum