Texas Hunting Forum

300 win ammo

Posted By: Chris Hall

300 win ammo - 10/23/12 03:44 AM

Hi everyone I've been shooting a 300 win for almost a year and really love it. I'm shooting (Hornady superformance sst in 180gr) and I wanted to see what everyone is shooting out there. Any opinions on this ammo or others would be grateful. rifle

One more thing has anyone tested Hornady ammo to see if it's specs are accurate to the manufacturer.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Hall
One more thing has anyone tested Hornady ammo to see if it's specs are accurate to the manufacturer.

What do you mean with this question? Sorry, if I missed it.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: Chris Hall

What do you mean with this question? Sorry, if I missed it.

Chad, I bet he is meaning muzzle velocity and trajectory in real world vs. what Hornady publishes. What have you observed?

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 02:08 PM

Yes FiremanJG got it. The reason i ask is because my buddy did some longer range shooting and found silver tips worked the best out of his gun, but if you look at the specs the Hornady should do much better.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 03:21 PM

Try to find the ballistic coefficient of the bullets in the Hornady ammo if you want to shoot outside 300 yards. That is the most important number in exterior ballistics. Then find out which one of those performs the best on tissue.
Posted By: bhtkevin

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 03:34 PM

My buddy just dropped an Ibex at 550 yards with the superformance 180 gr, so I think its good with his rifle. Different rifles shoot ammo differently, so if you arent happy with the performance, try a few other rounds.

I like accubond for long range hunting.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 04:23 PM

Nosler Custom 180 gr Accubond is what I use. Thor's Hammer!!!
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Drop Tine

X2 I have shot them in 300wby and seen them used alot in 300win and they are awesome, just aim right for the front shoulder blade.

Word of caution about the Balistic Silver Tips, I have seen them fail multiple times. My cousin shot a HUGE buck in the face just below the left eyeball with a .300win balistic silver tip 180gr at 80yds(he got excited and pulled the shot).

Yes the buck dropped dead but it made contact with the skull leaving an entrance wound and NO EXIT! That bullet should have opened up the skull like a ripe melon, all it did though was make it past the cheek bone and nothing more.

He loaned his rifle to another guy and we were unable to recover another big buck and hog both of which he shoulder shot.....I was in the blind with him when he shot the buck and when the bullet made contact all I could see was a huge cloud of hair and the buck run off with what looked like a broken shoulder.

Bad box of ammo right? Over the following summer he had the same thing happen with hogs and different box of shells; we even checked the boxes for lot numbers...they were different and he switched to Hornady 180gr spire point, no problems since.
Posted By: CBHunter

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 07:49 PM

I used Federal Premium with Nosler Partition in 180gr. Great round IMO.
Posted By: mustafa

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 08:40 PM

x2
Originally Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: 300 win ammo - 10/23/12 09:53 PM

I like the Hornady but i just wanted to see what everyone thinks. When i first got my gun I looked at the Nosler Custom in 180 but from what the specs showed the Hornadys 180 looked better. I should go get a few boxes of both and see how they do. Thanks for the feed back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum