Texas Hunting Forum

Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights.

Posted By: jdk1985

Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/12/12 03:33 PM

Anyone care to chime in on their favorite iron sights for a 10" AR (brand, flip up or fixed, and why)?

Thanks.
Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/12/12 03:44 PM

My favorites are Troy, I run them on almost all my AR's.
Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/12/12 06:35 PM

Troys flip up are my favorite. Rock solid and excellent quality. That being said they are a little pricey. Best bang for the buck are the MBUS IMO.
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/12/12 07:39 PM

I have a FSB on one rifle and added a fixed rear Troy.
It also has an AIMPOINT PRO. Kinda wished I would have bought the folding rear, but No Real Biggy.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/12/12 07:56 PM

MBUS for me!

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 03:17 AM

Thanks guys. I was thinking Troy as well but did not know if there was anything else I needed to consider...
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 03:22 AM

another vote for Troy

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 04:09 AM

They are pricey, though, and not sure how much I'll use them b/c I plan to put a red dot on too...
Posted By: tx outlaw

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 04:13 AM

The reality is that if you run a quality optic (i.e. Aimpoint), there is almost zero chance that you will ever need BUIS. For most people, they are cosmetic. If you do not plan on trusting your life with this gun, I would honestly not spend the money on BUIS, especially a top of the line set like Troy. However, if there is a chance that you may need to trust your life to this gun, it might be wise to invest in a set. In a scenario where your carbine is set up for home defense or the like, I would advise you to look hard at a set of fixed BUIS. My thinking has always been that if I am going to ever need BUIS on a defense weapon, I am most likely going to need them NOW, and fumbling with a set of flip up sights might very well get me killed.

Just my .02, YMMV.

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 04:29 AM

tx outlaw, I think that is basically right.
Posted By: theserxtremedays

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 10:06 AM

Yeah, I would agree, I have Magpul buis on one of mine, I do like the Troy ones, but I prefer something with magnification more on most of my rifles. I'm looking at getting a magnifier for my Eotech right now. That is something to look into imo.
Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 02:20 PM

I don't have BUIS because I'm afraid my optic will crap out or get broken, I have the because I like to shoot with irons from time to time. I'm sure a lot of people fall into that category...
Posted By: jeffb1911

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 05:00 PM

Unless i'm using a magnified optic where it will be in the way, i keep with the standard forged front sight assembly. The only reason to have a flip rear is when it interferes with the optic. My LMT has a set of standard style sights, with the EOTech 556 on it, with the standard LMT sights on it. Patrol rifle wears irons only so i've got nothing to switch on or flip up. I've got a 20" rifle also that wears an ACOG on the carry handle, but has the standard sights as well. i like irons on the serious stuff, just in case! Come to think of it, only the MSAR clone of the Steyr AUG i've got does not have good irons on it.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 05:06 PM

We have Midwest Industries flip up metal sights, Sell a lot of them, to people who don't want MagPul. They are $195 a set + tax.
Posted By: tex2

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 10:32 PM

YHM works for me.
Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon972
I don't have BUIS because I'm afraid my optic will crap out or get broken, I have the because I like to shoot with irons from time to time. I'm sure a lot of people fall into that category...

This.

Shooting with irons is fun and I believe an important part of being an AR owner. Too many people build and AR and chunk a NCstar dot/facog rofl on it and can't shoot worth a darn. Learn your sights first then get an optic.
Posted By: Chris42

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/13/12 11:37 PM

Fixed, I have a DD A1.5. Great, light optic. $50ish

After buying the fixed, I realized I wanted a folding and paid lik $90 for the troy. Would have saved $50 if I had just gone with the folding troy. I don't have an Aimpoint (yet), but the sight fits under my scope in a Larue tactical scope rings. Don't have to bother with a screwdriver to go between irons and magnified.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/14/12 02:20 AM

I have Troy flip-ups... came with them. Really like them.

-Mickey
Posted By: hrt4me

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 09/19/12 04:09 AM

Troy, low height, with HK-style front
Posted By: Mark S

Re: Fixed and flip up AR Iron Sights. - 10/17/12 06:37 PM

I have a SR-556 that came with Troy flipups. They are great.
I have now put an Eotech xps2 on it and they compliment each other well. I can take the Eotech off and put it back on and use the iron sights to double register and ensure the Eotech gets put pack on target. Works great everytime.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum