Texas Hunting Forum

is a AR-15 gov model legal to own

Posted By: 225proxs

is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/26/08 05:10 PM

(Colt AR-15 A2 6520 LE Gov't Carbine) is this gun law inforcement only. or can a civilian own it.

Posted By: Cruz

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/26/08 06:27 PM

Yes, they are legal for non leo's etc. to own them.

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/26/08 09:39 PM

as long as it dont have the tri-burst.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/26/08 10:55 PM

Length needs to be checked, the 6520 he asked about is OK as factory, some of the LEO marked guns were true 14.5's, as long as 16 inch bbl length and 26 overall...the markings are crap UNLESS it was ever 3-burst or FA, then its a MG no matter what it says or does now...

Posted By: Greg

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/27/08 03:27 AM

If it does have tri-burst/full auto or a smaller barrel, you can still get it, but it will require the correct paperwork and a $200 tax for each of the above mentioned things. Not too hard to do, but it will take a few months to get your paperwork through and back to you from the govt.

Posted By: 7mag

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/27/08 03:43 AM

Most of them are going to be under length

Posted By: HunterTed

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/27/08 05:18 AM

Quote:

If it does have tri-burst/full auto or a smaller barrel, you can still get it, but it will require the correct paperwork and a $200 tax for each of the above mentioned things. Not too hard to do, but it will take a few months to get your paperwork through and back to you from the govt.

Not questioning you.........I thought it was 300.00. Was I told wrong or am I thinking about something different

Posted By: helomech

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/27/08 04:39 PM

the tax is 200 bucks. there may be more fees associated, but the tax certificate is 200.

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/27/08 05:43 PM

Quote:

Not questioning you.........I thought it was 300.00. Was I told wrong or am I thinking about something different

No problem... it is the only tax that has never gone up. It was started back in the days of prohibition to keep the mob from using tommy guns against the feds. $200 back then was a huge amount of $$$ and amazingly enough... the mob... who had no problem getting into a shootout it seems, obayed the law (for the most part). A lot of the mob members actually switched to a semi auto 30-06 rifles instead b/c it was way too expensive and not worth getting caught with.

Today it's a simple $200 for each thing that requires it. I am not aware of any new "other fees" required. You do have to get a judge or sherrif to sign allowing you to have it. In some countys they will not do this for political reasons and then you have to create a trust and list the full auto/ or short barrel gun as a part of the trust. By doing this you do not need the signature of the Sherrif or Judge. You can pay just over $30 for a copy of WillMaker software by Intuit (where I work) and create the trust yourself. Once that is done, you send all the paperwork off to the ATF and in about 60-90 days you are approved (if your background is clean).

Keep in mind... it's $200 for full/auto... another $200 for short barrels... and another $200 for suppressors... and so on. If you buy a gun with several different things on it that you want, you will have to list them all seperatly in the trust.

You can visit AR15.com for step by step instructions on how to do this or just talk with a dealer who is selling the paticular gun you want.

Posted By: M16

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/27/08 09:05 PM

Quote:

No, If it is marked law enforcement then it is post 86 and cannot be transfered to an individual. The only machine guns that can be transferred are the ones that were registered prior to the law change in 1986.

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/27/08 09:14 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind... it's $200 for full/auto... another $200 for short barrels... and another $200 for suppressors...

If the gun is full auto you do not have to pay another $200 tax to have a short barrel. You would only pay the tax on a short barreled gun that wasn't a machine gun.

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/28/08 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Keep in mind... it's $200 for full/auto... another $200 for short barrels... and another $200 for suppressors...

If the gun is full auto you do not have to pay another $200 tax to have a short barrel. You would only pay the tax on a short barreled gun that wasn't a machine gun.

Good catch on the LE version M16.... guess I was thinking it was pre86 and could be xfered.

As for the other... go with me on this.... If I had an ar that I wanted to put a 10 or 12" barrel on I would pay $200. Then... if I decided to put a suppressor on it... I would pay another $200 for that as well. Then... 6 months later, lets say I decided to buy a lower that was full auto... wouldn't I have to pay another $200 for that? Isn't it only the lower that is capabile of full auto that is concidered the "machine gun"?

The reason I ask is b/c I was real close to building the above CQT set-up and thought that was how it would go.

I do kind of see what you are saying though...my buddy has an MP5 & a MAC both of which are full auto and short barrels. I will ask him if he only paid once.

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/28/08 02:59 AM

Quote:

As for the other... go with me on this.... If I had an ar that I wanted to put a 10 or 12" barrel on I would pay $200. Then... if I decided to put a suppressor on it... I would pay another $200 for that as well. Then... 6 months later, lets say I decided to buy a lower that was full auto... wouldn't I have to pay another $200 for that? Isn't it only the lower that is capabile of full auto that is concidered the "machine gun"?

Yes, that is the way it goes with this time sequence. You would pay a total of $600 in taxes. If you bought the full auto first instead of the ar15 then you would not pay the sbr tax. So it would be $200 for the machine gun and $200 for the suppressor for a total of $400 in taxes. As long as the gun is full auto the barrel length does not matter.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: is a AR-15 gov model legal to own - 01/28/08 01:27 PM

I talked with him, and it's a LE marked SEMI AR-15 Govt model.

M16 has the full-auto NFA rules right in his posts...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum