Texas Hunting Forum

Choke tube Questions

Posted By: redhunter

Choke tube Questions - 01/12/12 05:11 PM

Hello all, just thought id get a few opinions from seasoned shotgunners

Is there really any difference of performance in the "extended" choke tubes compared to regualr chokes? I bought an extended turkey choke, extra full, pretty much because it seems thats what your supposed to get, also, would it be better to have an extended choke tube for dove, ducks? I am not a skeet and trap shooter but a hunter..... Just curious to see if it is an investment i should make for all my chokes or if its more of a preference thing

Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: Choke tube Questions - 01/12/12 05:30 PM

Extende tubes are a good inexlensive investment IMO. You can find them for as low as $15.00. I use a tight wad and it can make a difference when the birds are a bit out... If you are shooting turkeys just use an extended turkey choke. If you hunt waterfowl, make sure your extended tube is designed to shoot steel shot, not all are.

For quail and dove the best is a modified, but i've put on my turkey tube when them whitewings are flying 40-50 yards high and the modified will bot bring them down....

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Choke tube Questions - 01/12/12 05:48 PM

I use extended choke tubes for Turkey where I am looking for the tightest pattern possible, in theory and practice to some extent the longer forcing cones in the longer chokes improves pattern debsity anf uniformity. The Kicks highflier does pattern more uniform than the factory benelli chokes that came with the SBE, so yes I guess they are some advantages other than not requireing a wrench to change out. Is that change worth the extra cost. for turkey I say yes the rest not for me.

Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Choke tube Questions - 01/12/12 06:35 PM

To me it's a preference thing. Granted I've never gone from standard to extended on the same gun, but I have shot both. The biggest advantages for me is quick id of the choke and ease of replacing.

Posted By: David Maas

Re: Choke tube Questions - 01/12/12 10:01 PM

There are some other advantages too, quick ID, longer parallel section, muzzle protection, and most importantly they will handle larger shot sizes better, generally in reguards to steel shot.

For me it is all of these that make them a wise investment.

Posted By: Omaney

Re: Choke tube Questions - 01/13/12 02:28 AM

Quote:
The biggest advantages for me is quick id of the choke and ease of replacing.

This. I cannot imagine an extra inch affecting patterns.

Posted By: Adelbridge

Re: Choke tube Questions - 01/13/12 03:44 AM

only one scientific way to find out. I have seen some that are ported. I would be worried they might rub the bluing off the end of your barrel, probably more of an issue on an o/u or s/s

Posted By: fgdn

Re: Choke tube Questions - 01/13/12 03:54 AM

up

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum