Texas Hunting Forum

Which is more powerful?

Posted By: Sniper Sean

Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:11 PM

I have been looking online at some rifles after I failed to put down a huge buck with an sks. For my money I am looking at a savage axis and a Remington 770. Obviously both are American built quality guns, but which one is more powerful?

Posted By: bo3

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:15 PM

The remington is 300 hp and the savage is about 325 hp.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:15 PM

The 770 is not something I'd spend money on, and I'm a Rem fan.

As far as power goes, that depends on caliber.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:16 PM

Well say they are both .270, which one would be more powerful?

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:17 PM

Same cartridge/caliber same power.

Posted By: 30378

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:22 PM

Do not buy the 770. If one has a longer barrel than the other the longer barrel will provide more velocity.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: bo323

Priceless! rofl

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper Sean

You have got to be kidding me right? You need to slow down and learn something about hunting before you go out and take any more rushed head shots... bang JMHO

Posted By: RTF Rob

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

You have got to be kidding me right? You need to slow down and learn something about hunting before you go out and take any more rushed head shots... bang JMHO

x2

you need to go do alot more learning

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:30 PM

Why do you say?

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:34 PM

If his threads aren't a joke he could learn here.

Obviously whoever he has been learning from don't know squat.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:35 PM

? I don't follow... I know a .270 is a good deer round, but which RiFlE will shoot that bullet more powerful? I plan on shooting ballistic tips and making only body shot when they stand still until I get real used tO the gun. Also are BSA scopes worth their price tag? I have a fixed 4x tasco but like the looks of a 6-18x BSA which in time ahould give me 1000 meter capabilty...i jjust don't like the expensive price tag! Oh well you only live once right?

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:43 PM

There is no appreciable difference between rifles as far as power goes using the same caliber ammo.

Tasco BSA and the like aren't worth the trouble it takes to throw them in the trash can.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:44 PM

I wouldnt put much faith in BSA scopes.

A 270 winchester is a 270 winchester no matter what rifle it is fired from(for the most part)barel length can have a small(un noticable difference). And shoot winchester or remington or hornady 130-140 grain soft points.

I would recomend looking for a good used remington weatherby vanguard, savage in your price range and put a nikon scope on it.

Just because you have an 18 power scope doesnt mean you can shoot 1000 meters.

matt

Posted By: DeerSlayer31

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:50 PM

WOW

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:52 PM

wtf

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:53 PM

I know I am in no way ready to shoot that far now but maybe one day which is why I figured I should start out with a high end scope like that BSA so I wouldn't need to upgrade. I guess I was mistaken to think one rifle makes the bullet more powerful than another. I have heard some people say a 300 weatherby is more powerful than a 300 Winchester though and as expensive as those weatherbys are I figured that might be true

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:56 PM

I know I am in no way ready to shoot that far now but maybe one day which is why I figured I should start out with a high end scope like that BSA so I wouldn't need to upgrade. I guess I was mistaken to think one rifle makes the bullet more powerful than another. I have heard some people say a 300 weatherby is more powerful than a 300 Winchester though and as expensive as those weatherbys are I figured that might be true

nidea I cant tell if your being serious or not....did you realy go deer hunting with an SKS....i mean i know it will do the job with the right shot placement...but realy

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 03:59 PM

Is an sks not a legal rifle? It is a semi auto cemterfire with a 4x scope. I know it's not a long range rifle but at 30 or 50 yrda or so I never thought it would let me down.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:01 PM

300 weatherby and 300 winchester are different calibers. like a 308 and 30-06 are different calibers, they both have the same diameter bullet but that is all they share.

Im sorry my post wasnt exactly frindly.. but wherever you got your firearm knowledge from... stop throw it away and start again.

matt

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:02 PM

The SKS did not let you down it is more than capable of killing deer at and past that range. Your choices and ability let you down. Practice!

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:05 PM

Ok thanks for your input

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:10 PM

BSA scope,,, high end, lol444 This has got to be a joke.

Cartridge on the left is a .300 Weatherby mag, cartridge in center is a .300 win mag, on right is what happens when you fire a .300 WM in a .300 WBY.

As you can see there is quite a difference between WBYmag and Win mag cartridge though each propel the same caliber bullet.

Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:13 PM

troll

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:15 PM

You sure that wasnt a 30 win mag fired in a 300 wby?

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:16 PM

I smell mall ninja.

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:16 PM

Actually, it's what happens when you fire a 300 Win Mag in a Weatherby.

to the OP- please go do some reading about calibers and ballistics. Google is your friend.

After reading your other posts, you're better off not even going hunting and shooting a weapon. Please, go read more on the internet about hunting ethics and firearms and ballistics before going hunting again.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:23 PM

Yeah, I know I had them mixed up, senior brain phart moment, thanks for pointing it out. hammer

Posted By: JWP58

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 04:50 PM

Wow....just wow.

BSA = junk

No rifle can "increase power" of a cartridge. Yes barrel length may allow for more velocity...but thats minor.

I would say you need to start at the bottom and work your way up. Maybe go squirrel/rabbit hunting with a .22lr, once you perfect that (and learn a LOT more about firearms) THEN you are ready for deer hunting.

I'm not trying to degrade you, but you have to start somewhere. Heck i didnt shoot my first deer untill i was 22 or 23. But before that, i hunted plenty of small game and shot a ton.

Posted By: rjd

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 05:26 PM

How old are you? Sounds like a pre teen trying to act like he is informed. Your knowledge base is zero. Find somebody that has a little firearm knowledge and listen to what they say. Why not buy a single shot .22 and learn the basics before bamming away at live animals with an inaccurate weapon not really designed for hunting? Hunting is not just about shooting things. You need to rethink your values.

I know this thread was about rifles, but I read your other one on shooting a deer in the face, and just can't take much more.

Posted By: vanguard

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: bjones2571
troll

no doubt, hook, line, and sinker.

Posted By: Omaney

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 06:09 PM

Quote:
For my money I am looking at a savage axis and a Remington 770. Obviously both are American built quality guns

I...oh forget it...

Posted By: B84

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 06:46 PM

If you paint racing stripes on the bullets it'll make it even more powerful.

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 07:06 PM

Guys, I think he's justa young kid who wants to get into hunting. We all have to learn somewhere and it's ovious granddad isn't helpin him out. But then again, some of the old timers shoot deer (all deer) in the head. I've been on a ranch down in the hill country and brought a really nice 8 back to camp and the ranch owner let me have it for doing a high shoulder shot and not putting the bullet behind the buck's ear (no joke). Anyways, I think we should teach and not scold. Nothin better than a kiddo interested in hunting. Unless these threads are jokes, then...

Flame on I say flame

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 07:12 PM

Flywheel or wheels?

Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 07:24 PM

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Flywheel or wheels?

Wheels. The Remington may seem weaker but with a high performance trigger and opening up the headspace alittle for increased dispalcement, you can add another 45-50 hp.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Flywheel or wheels?

I believe the term is HP at the trigger or the muzzle

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 07:52 PM

HP would be at the trigger, torque would be at muzzle.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 07:55 PM

HP is derived from torque and rpm, so the rate of twist of the barell has an effect on HP too

Posted By: Czechaholic

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 07:56 PM

You guys are hillarious!!! This thread is a joke!!! Quit feeding him more ammunition!!!

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 10:10 PM

OK, here's my suggestion.

Buy the Remington 770. It's the most powerful .270 on the planet. And can blow the head off any deer.

No need to spend a bunch of money on a high end scope like BSA. There's plenty of Chinese copies of Leupolds out there for cheap. They're just as good Leupold but them Chinese reverse engineered them. They're exact copies of Leupold without the huge price tag. I seen some for sale down at the flea market the other day for $25.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
OK, here's my suggestion.

Buy the Remington 770. It's the most powerful .270 on the planet. And can blow the head off any deer.

No need to spend a bunch of money on a high end scope like BSA. There's plenty of Chinese copies of Leupolds out there for cheap. They're just as good Leupold but them Chinese reverse engineered them. They're exact copies of Leupold without the huge price tag. I seen some for sale down at the flea market the other day for $25.
roflmao

Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 10:37 PM

I think you guys scared him off. If he was a young person trying to get involved, shame on you.

If not and he was jacking with people, shame on me.

I go for the first one though.....

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 10:45 PM

grin

Posted By: Stoney

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: DFW PI
I think you guys scared him off. If he was a young person trying to get involved, shame on you.

If not and he was jacking with people, shame on me.

I go for the first one though.....

I actually read all his posts on other subjects. He recognizes hogs are unusual in in Langtry as it is desert country, calls a bald eagle "regal", I dunno.

But I do know that if you use liquid propellant in your cartridges you will get the most horsepower, regardless of the gun you use.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 11:07 PM

liquid propellant ? never heard of that. Like the kind you use in potatoe cannons ?
hairspray or butane ? or something else

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 11:19 PM

Never expected to get so much junk by just asking which gun is better. I thought that's what this place is for? As far as BSA or
Remington or savage being junk, maybe we can't all afford high dollar guns and gun stuff! Surely they can't be in business if No one buys their stuff. So thanks but no thanks for the advise! And what's with all the lame pictures being posted that have nothing to do with guns or hunting?

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/17/11 11:31 PM

Remingtons run faster and jump higher

Get a good scope like a NC star or a Barska flush

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/18/11 12:52 AM

personaly i think you should start small and learn some basics, start with a powerfull air soft gun and learn gun safety.
Then move to a pellet rifle and go after some small game.
after about 10 years of that I might consider a .22 LR for yourself.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/18/11 12:54 AM

It's a well known fact that the most powerful .270 Win on the market is the Browning A-bolt.

Posted By: Vern1

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/18/11 12:58 AM

If you are trolling, enjoy the abuse.
If you are serious, someone will help, I will at least try.
Your SKS is very capable of taking hogs and deer.
Took 77 pigs one fall with mine, just don't shoot many deer - with anything.

Trying to get a scope mounted on an SKS that will retain a reliable zero is another problem in itself.
Any scope mount that replaces the top receiver will not hold zero for any length of time - no matter what you do and how careful you are - the gun is VERY hard on scopes mounted on the upper receiver with the bolt banging back and forth and will devour cheap scopes like candy.
There is a reason those scope mounts sell for $5.00 on eBay!
The only scope mount that I have ever had hold zero very well on a SKS is a Choate that mounts on the left side of the lower receiver.
You will have to drill and tap the lower receiver and clearance the stock to mount it.

At the distance of 40 to 50 yards, you should be able to do quite well with the iron sights unless the SKS has been abused and the barrel is shot out - it does happen as ammo is cheap and I know lots of people who love to make the wood handles smoke until they catch fire - hell, I've done it a few times myself.
If it's not shot out, you do need to practice with it, clean the bore every once and a while and have at at.
If you take your time and place your shot, it will take a deer or hog.
Do what you can afford and enjoy it - SAFELY!

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/18/11 01:20 AM

Thanks for your input. I am now in the market for a .30/06 or .270. Maybe a .300 mag to really make sure they don't have a chance! If anyone has one for sale I have an add posted to trade a gun for My xbox and some cool games. Let me know

Posted By: preston629

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/18/11 03:01 AM

I have been looking online at some rifles after I failed to put down a huge buck with an sks. For my money I am looking at a savage axis and a Remington 770. Obviously both are American built quality guns, but which one is more powerful?

This is stupid

Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/18/11 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: preston629

This is stupid

Yeah, his other thread in the classifieds got locked down.

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/18/11 03:19 AM

Posted By: DeerSlayer31

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/18/11 03:27 AM

Best video ever!!!! Yeah I watched the whole thing.

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Which is more powerful? - 11/18/11 03:31 AM

Sean, Dump the SKS...it was made to kill people with...only...You
can kill a deer, ect with anything. The Savage and Remington will both shoot. Bandera Gun Club sells a lot of both. The Savage has been one of the more accurate rifles for the past several yrs. However, there is a poor resale value on any of these entry level weapons. Power is determined by the caliber,
length of bbl. and cart. load. ie: 30-06 180 gr is more than a
243 100 gr...DD

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum