Texas Hunting Forum

204 Ruger for deer

Posted By: Wild Boar

204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:05 AM

All the debates on here about the smaller calibers being used on deer. Some folks think you need at least a 100 gr bullet to perform well on whitetails. Well I've had nothing but good results from the 22-250 and 55gr v-max. I just got a 204 ruger and to the deer woods it will go with a 32 v-max. Has anyone shot a deer behind the shoulder with a 204 if so what were the results? I am only going to take behind the shoulder shots no neck shots, I'm going to find out what this baby will do. My main concern is penatration, if it will penatrate the rib cage. But of course I'm going to check it out on a few hogs first.

Posted By: bayourat

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:10 AM

It should work almost every deer I kill now a days is with a .223 and I've killed some big hogs with a 204. You should have any problem

Posted By: Stinger

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:45 AM

I know a few fella's that have shot some nice bucks with the 204 and they were impressed. I can't recommend it, however. The bullets are simply to frangible. They blow up on impact. Physics lead me to believe that the super-thin jacket, coupled with ludricous speed...recipe for disaster.

I love mine on varmints, however. It is my favorite cartridge to shoot and is extremely accurate.

There's only one way to find out, though. Good luck, and report your results.

Posted By: BMD

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:54 AM

Dude v-max is for varmints load it with a tsx.

Posted By: mountaincowboy82

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:55 AM

The only way to find out is to watch your deer run away limping because all you did with a 32gr round is severly wound him and nothing more, good job you just made a deer suffer because you only want to take shoulder shots... Go for an ear shot or right behind the ear, hell go for the jugular, any of THOSE THREE shots will drop the deer or it will only run for a few yds instead of hundreds of yds... Don't use a smaller caliber rifle unless you take very careful shots that will ensure a clean kill and no chance of hitting the shoulder or any other large thick bones!!!

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:58 AM

All boils down to shot placement, but shooting a deer with a 32 gr vmax in the shoulder should be enough to have your hunting license revoked.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:01 AM

True that ol' chap

Posted By: Lovesomeshootin

Re: 204 Ruger for deer *DELETED* *DELETED* - 12/06/07 05:01 AM

Post deleted by HWY_MAN

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:05 AM

Didnt know that, thought you could get it in 22 cal in 53 grain, I am pretty sure of it.

Posted By: Lovesomeshootin

Re: 204 Ruger for deer *DELETED* - 12/06/07 05:11 AM

Post deleted by HWY_MAN

Posted By: cakedawg

Re: 204 Ruger for deer *DELETED* - 12/06/07 05:13 AM

Post deleted by HWY_MAN

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:14 AM

What a .20 cal round won't fit in a .50BMG casing, crap no bigfoot hunting for me this year...

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:15 AM

True, I just assumed if they had for .22 that they would have it for the .204 bet it is coming though.

Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:16 AM

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:17 AM

Alot are getting fielded next year, including the Varmint gernade, nasty little round

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:19 AM

yeah will prolly try those in my .220 but wont be shooting deer with them. I wouldnt be afraid of the TSX in a .220 swift for deer however, but no matter what the TSX is a great bullet.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 11:40 AM

i would like to find some barnes X bullets or TSX in a .22-250. all i can find is sierra gamekings and the v-max.

for culling work, the .22 caliber rifles, and the .204's for that matter, seem just about perfect.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 12:57 PM

Midway USA 53gr TSX

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 12:58 PM

I shoot 55vmax alot to, let me know what the 204 does, I dont have one but im interested.
Im going to see what my .17 does to them I bet it works good.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 02:39 PM

Quote:

All boils down to shot placement, but shooting a deer with a 32 gr vmax in the shoulder should be enough to have your hunting license revoked.

I didn't say anything about in the shoulder I said behind the shoulder. I know that will not penetrate the big bones( I've been shooting small calibers for a while this isn't my first rodeo). As for as revoking license I guess you should have them revoked if you make a bad shot or wound a deer with 270,06,300,ect..... also it would only be fair. I've used several larger cal. on deer 30wsm,30'06, 30-30,7mag,7mm-08,270 and none of these performed like the 22-250 has with the 55 v-maxs. Bigger isn't always better!!!

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 02:47 PM

Hitting a deers rib will blow up one of those 32 grain bullets.

Maybe it is time hunters in Texas started pushing TP&W to enact caliber and grain weight minimums for hunting deer.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 03:05 PM

Quote:

Maybe it is time hunters in Texas started pushing TP&W to enact caliber and grain weight minimums for hunting deer.

No argument from me, although i like Ft-lb minimums. With the minimum set at 2000 ft-lbs at the muzzle.

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 03:05 PM

Quote:

Most other states have it, so in reality I would imagine that along with some of these extremely popular, smaller calibers and weights, a restriction is in the making and is on the way.

I am admittedly guilty of frequently decapitating does and hogs with a 22-250, but I would NEVER take a body shot with any .22 diameter bullet (or smaller), regardless of how much powder is pushing it.

CH -
Would you be willing to step in the snakepit and give your recmmendation for a minimum caliber?

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 03:20 PM

I will!

Minimum 25 caliber.
Minimum 2000 ft-lbs energy at the muzzle.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 03:33 PM

Quote:

Minimum 25 caliber.
Minimum 2000 ft-lbs energy at the muzzle.

Is that a minimum of 25 caliber AND/OR at least 2000 ft. lbs.?

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 03:43 PM

25 and 2000 ft-lbs minimum.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 03:58 PM

This is interesting and I would like to see a poll regarding this subject.

I understand you have your opinion, and I'm not debating it, simply stating facts here.

Under this scenario .22, .24, some lighter .25 loads probably wouldn't make it, 150gr. 30-30 (around 1900ft.lbs), and a whole slew of others have been eliminated from deer hunting based on that rule.
Geez,Pa-Pa's going be ticked 30-30's have probably killed more deer than any two other calibers combined.

My recommedation would simpy be a minimum of .24 AND 100gr.

If this law passed, I would love to be a gun/ammo salesman?

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:04 PM

30-30 Just squeaks by.

(W) 150 SP 2480 2095 1747 1446 1209 1053 "2049" 1462 1017 697 487 369

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:29 PM

The cheap Remington Core-Lokt's wouldn't. I see it listed as 1900 for 150gr, and 1827 for 170's.

Seems there would immediately be a loophole based on manufacturer too.

Posted By: bayourat

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:31 PM

22 LR is plenty for deer if shot right it all depends on who's holding the gun. We have enough laws on the books as is. Another law = Another Tax.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:33 PM

I dont know fellas I think yall are going a little far, I dotn like the 204 for deer either, and frankly feel it is somewhat iresponsible on the shooters part, but that is their choice, and they will have to live with the consequences no matter what. With I my brother my father and even my grandpa have killed deer for years with a 30 carbine, it is a 110 grain soft point at 1900 fps and 976 #'s at the muzzle and we only had one get away, and it was a bad shot on my part. Maybe a restriction is a good idea, but that may be taking it a little far.

matt

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:38 PM

IMO the .204 is just too light for medium size game. You can kill a deer with a croquet mallet too, if the shot placement is right. I've shot a Corsican or two, behind the shoulder, and some die right there while others run off somewhere else to die. But, the Corsicans pretty much come under the same category as coons in this case. They aren't game animals. JMO.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 04:40 PM

I agree. I certainly would not vote FOR it, but hypothetically we could be forced to make a decision in the future.

Let's get the original thread back on track and move the "minimum requirements" discussions to it's own thread. Just for fun, I have posted a poll regarding this subject.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/302901/an/0/page/0#Post302901

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:24 PM

[quote

CHC,That is just what we need more rules and laws and our kids down the road will have hire a lawyer to read the hunting manuals. Ever tought about with this rule that you want to entact that they might not only say min. but also add a max. as well( if you couldn't hunt with those big bores). Everybody thinks it wrong to hunt with a small cal. well I've had nothing but good from them. If a deer is lost from a big bore than everything is alright because it not your fault it just happens maybe you just hit in the void spot(between the spine and lungs)well get you a smaller and faster bullet that will fragment and this wont happen. The only deer I ever lost was shot twice with a 30'06 with a 220 gr bullet at about 45 yards. I've hunted with larger cal. and had to blood trail almost every deer I shot. Boy I thought deer were tough and there was noway anyone could have talked me into hunting with smaller cal at that time(243 and smaller), but now after using smaller bores for a while they work better for my hunting style.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:31 PM

Quote:

for my hunting style.

Not everyone hunts the same way you do, and not EVERYONE may have the same skill level as you do. If you will notice, I didn't say anything about the 224 calibers, NOW DID I??????

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:32 PM

I think this is also needs to be looked at from the ethics or sportsmanship angle. Sort of seems like a lack of respect for the animal. Could there be some ego involved here in the sense one might be trying to see how small a bullet can be used? I've seen a couple of does shot at with .222 and .22-250's where the result was the jaw was shattered. I was guiding and not sitting with them and didn't have a say in what could be used. Just a little CYA there so I don't have to read about it. Even though we couldn't find them I'll darn near bet farm they died. I wonder how this thread reads to PETA folks?

Posted By: redchevy

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:38 PM

Im not saying dont use the 22-250 it is a deer killin son of a gun, but why push your luck with the 204, it isnt going to give you any added range, or less recoil. I dont really care what you do, just dont do it on my place, and dont bring the [censored] up on here. You asked for this debat so shut up and take it like a man.

matt

Posted By: MontagueBowBuster

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:40 PM

Sp really this all boils down to how good of a shot you are and would say it be left at that. With any laws new or old there's still going to be people who are going to shot animals with whatever they want too!

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:46 PM

Quote:

Im not saying dont use the 22-250 it is a deer killin son of a gun, but why push your luck with the 204, it isnt going to give you any added range, or less recoil. I dont really care what you do, just dont do it on my place, and dont bring the [censored] up on here. You asked for this debat so shut up and take it like a man.

matt

And I dont care what you do either, if you dont like what i bring up than dont resond to it. And no I'm not going to shut up.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 05:59 PM

Lets not get personal guys

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 06:01 PM

I seen a guy shot a deer in the jaw with a 7 mag and we never found it either, so what is your point. I wouldn't sugest head shots from any cal. the room for err. is very small, and a deer without a jaw is going to die a slow death. To me ethic or sportsman angle would be to kill it as soon as posible on the spot death and that is what the smaller cal has done for me.

Posted By: RonKaye

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 06:09 PM

Testy bunch of folks around here today!

Though the first deer I ever shot was with a .22lr (eye shot @25yds.), I don't think anything smaller than a .25 is appropriate for deer - and I sure don't include .25acp in the OK column! That's my *opinion.*

It is also my *opinion* that chocolate is the ultimate culinary delight, and Liv Tyler is the hottest thing since Linda Evans. But I can accept that other folks might not agree (knowing, of course, how wrong they'd be!).

And you know what they say about opinions. :-)

As to whether a smaller caliber is OK for someone who's a crack shot and an expert hunter, I've met very few folks who will admit to being neither. If we're gonna write more laws, shouldn't the shooter's proven proficiency be a factor?

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 06:11 PM

Okay, then you are saying everyone should be forced to use small calibers because they work for you???????

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 06:27 PM

No I dont care what everyone else uses if it works for them and is legal that go for it, but you are saying that I shouldn't be able to use a 204.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 10:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't say anything about in the shoulder I said behind the shoulder. I know that will not penetrate the big bones( I've been shooting small calibers for a while this isn't my first rodeo). As for as revoking license I guess you should have them revoked if you make a bad shot or wound a deer with 270,06,300,ect..... also it would only be fair. I've used several larger cal. on deer 30wsm,30'06, 30-30,7mag,7mm-08,270 and none of these performed like the 22-250 has with the 55 v-maxs. Bigger isn't always better!!!

Say what you will vmax on a rib it will pop and you got problems, but maybe you can see the ribs and make sure you dont hit them. Maybe some day I will be at your skill level. Please continue

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/06/07 10:25 PM

How many deer have you shot with a v-max. As for the skill level I wouldn't bet on it.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 12:00 AM

Quote:

How many deer have you shot with a v-max. As for the skill level I wouldn't bet on it.

None, I have more respect for the deer than that.

I told you we are not worthy of your skill level.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 12:23 AM

YES I AM, and if it takes hunters that think trying to use the 204 on white tail is wrong, collectively pressuring TP&W to place restrictions based on caliber size and grain weight of bullet and even 100 yard energy, THEN I AM ALL FOR IT.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 12:27 AM

Dude I am with you I was just being a little sarcastic.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 12:50 AM

Please notice my last post was directed at Wild Boar, not you.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 12:55 AM

Gotcha, I wasnt sure. I am behind you on this one.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 01:25 AM

I forgot crazyhorse opinion is always right and everyone is full of . Do what u got to do man if more rules and laws is what u want then get on the horn peta might even help u out. Maybe one day we wont have a option on which cals. we can use but until then I will use what the hell I want. If using a 204 make me a less of a ethical hunter, sportmans maybe a low life piece of chit in the eyes of the BIG BORE CLUB's so be it I dont give a crap. By the way CHC how many deer have you seen shot are shot with a 204.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 01:29 AM

It's not about the big bore club it is about being an ethical hunter, you go ahead do your thing man we are all really impressed, maybe we can grow up and be the great hunter you seem to claim to be.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 01:44 AM

Quote:

It's not about the big bore club it is about being an ethical hunter, you go ahead do your thing man we are all really impressed, maybe we can grow up and be the great white hunter you seem to claim to be.

When have I claimed to be a great white hunter ur putting words in my mouth. If I'm not an ethical hunter in ur eyes than I dont give a crap. Oh I'm really tring to impress u, what u must ur my hero well I hate to tell u ur wrong.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 01:49 AM

I hope ur not hot rod, I really dont care what u think as well. You are the one that popped off about skill level not me. I have never said what I can or cant do you started running your head about skill level. You go ahead and do your thing we are really impressed by you using whitetail as an experiment with your varmint rounds.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:02 AM

Quote:

I hope ur not hot rod, I really dont care what u think as well. You are the one that popped off about skill level not me.

U better go back and check u popped off first about my skill level.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:03 AM

Well wildboar first off why would anyone want to aim for such a small target such as the jaw with any caliber??? As far as the "BIG BORE" club, it's the farthest thing from it, we just use a larger caliber round to ensure that the animal we are hunting no matter size or species is taking properly and professional, not as an ego experiment to see how much damage a squirrel round will do to a mature deer. And CHC had a good point as far as the minimum caliber requirements, if you give someone an inch they will take a mile and do something dumb... You don't have to use a cannon to hunt deer but at least respect the animal and yourself by using a round that will make sure they don't run off with a missing jaw or broken rib...

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:13 AM

Keep it nice Gentlemen

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:13 AM

Quote:

Well wildboar first off why would anyone want to aim for such a small target such as the jaw with any caliber???

I dont know but they were tring to take a head shot and was a little low and hit the jaw, I personally will not take head shots on deer.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hope ur not hot rod, I really dont care what u think as well. You are the one that popped off about skill level not me.

U better go back and check u popped off first about my skill level.

I never questioned your skill level, I said I hope to achieve it someday.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:30 AM

Quote:

This is where you started the skill level I took it to mean you were questioning mine. if not I stand corrected.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:31 AM

Ok, sorry for the jumping but your statement wasn't that clear, as far as the misplaced head shot, but even still if you don't have a clear and confident shot no matter who you are, don't take it...

Posted By: whby05

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:32 AM

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:34 AM

Are we about through with this one guys, its kinds gone south, but some good points were made.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:36 AM

I am with you, done here.

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:37 AM

Same, all done here

Re: 204 Ruger for deer - 12/07/07 02:38 AM

Works for me

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum